Thread: Working the bi's & tri's right for size?

Working the bi's & tri's right for size?

ok me and my "coach" had a lil discussion the other day and I felt like asking you guys on this one cuz I'm not really sure what to believe..this was about keeping or maybe gaining a lil size on the arms

For the past 11 months I've been working my bi's and tri's once directly and once indirectly during a every week..meaning mondays was my biceps and chest day (tricpes indirectly), friday was my back (biceps indirectly) and triceps day.

The other day he told me I should go over to working my tri's together with my chest on mondays, to give the tri's a killer workout once a week, and rest'em for the rest of the week. The same goes for biceps, work them together with back and give them a killer workout. Now, he said clearly it would give me major results switching over to that routine, but for some reason I can't believe removing the indirect sessions targeting the tri's and bi's during the week will improve my results.

I already hear some of you say less is more..is it true in this case though?

The routine is as follows: 4 heavy exercises on chest (every set to failure) every set 8 - 10 reps, then 2 really heavy sets on tri's right after that. The same goes for back on fridays. 4 heavy exercises on back (every set to failure) every set 8 - 10 reps, then 2 really heavy sets on bi's right after that.

Or is the traditional way of working bi's and tri's heavy the same day a better routine to gain size?

What do you guys think? good or bad routine to gain arm size?
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

If you're going all out on your workouts, your coach may be right.

You may be overtraining your bi's and tri's that way.

You may want to take a look at Chris Mason's "Add 1/2 inch to your arms" routine on the home page.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Joey54's crazy partner DumbbellTosser's Avatar
    Still depends on the person. I responed better when splitting them up, doing direct and indirect work during one week. Sometimes you just gotta switch it up for a while. I do direct and indirect work on my arms for 6 weeks, then I throw my bi's on my back day and my tri's on my chest day for the next 6 weeks. Keep things different. I always respond better to the direct + indirect training but lots of guys don't.... that's why I say it all depends on the person.
    It's like I'm a juicer... but I'm not.

Hmm. same day as chest is somewhat conflicting.. heres why.

Usually on chest day your Tri's are almost crapped after the w/o and you cant get any serious gains w/the direct tri's if you get gains on chest. Personally I would maybe combo it w/shoulders.

The part with the Back and Bi's has worked great for me personally as my bi's dont get hammered all that bad on back day like my tri's would on chest day

If you do Chest and tri's intense to near failure you will usually be incapacitated(slight exaggeration) for the next day, and thats 1 less day of working out. :P

But Bleh, Thats just my opinion.

Funny. I actually had this older flabby dude try telling me to work them together like your coach did. It ended up being a little counter-productive and I couldnt lift S*** when shoulder day came around. Did it once and never did it again.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    To get size on the arms is quite simple. Dead, squat, and bench. Add in some chins and dips and you are set. Oh and be sure to keep at this for a few years. Consistency makes a HUGE difference.

thanks for the quick reply guys..I've read quite a few articles in the last couple of days and I think I'm going to start off with switching things around a bit, seeing where that takes me. If I come to a complete stall, I'll rotate and change the split a lil, and hopefully it'll give me a major boost

Cheers,
    ThreeD
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-