Thread: Shin splints

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Shin splints

I have had shin splints for quite some time now. I just recently went to the doctor. He wants me to take these pills for 3 weeks and not do any leg work at all. No cardio or weight training.

I can do upper body stuff but no lower. My normal routine is

Mon.
    Chest and Back

Thurs.
    Legs

Sat.
    Arms and Shoulders

What can I do for Thurs. since I can't do any leg work for 3 weeks?

I have bought good running shoes. I have always stretched well before exercising and these things have never helped. The doctor said if this does not work he will send me to an orthapedic.

I have also tried jogging through the pain thinking I could tough it out and it just gets worse.
    Last edited by stufine; 12-05-2003 at 07:15 AM.

My thought would be to split Mondays workout. Do chest on Mon., Back on Thurs.

And what pills did the Doc give you? Just curious, I suffer from shin splints, too.
    Last edited by Teufelhund; 12-05-2003 at 08:41 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    The name of the medicine is Naporsyn.

That sounds like a good idea. I will try that.

What are shin splints exactly? I think I might have them so I would like to know what they actually are before I would go in to get them checked out.
    Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you

Wannabebig Member
    i read a runners forum once on shin splints and they offered some pretty good ideas on simple ways to cure them. The best one was taking an old inner tube from a bicycle tire or a bungee cord. Then tie one end around your foot and hold your leg out in front of you. Put tension on the innertube/bungee and rotate your foot in a clockwise direction for a few mintues, then a counter clockwise. This exercise is siad to strenthen the dense rarely used muscle fibers around the shin area and help ward off shin splints. I dont know if this works, I hope I never have to find out.
    All the bodybuilders of every age were cut in stone (granite) but only Bruce Lee was CUT IN DIAMOND!!!!!

A lot of the time it is actually anterior compartment syndrome (very mild cases of course) where the anterior muscles just swell and have nowhere to go, which causes the pain. Thus, not using those muscles as much allows them to return to normal.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST