The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

barbell bench over dumbell bench

i was curious to know..for those who perfer barbell bench over dumbell bench..why?
    heavy metal music is destroying my brain

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

bulking
    Im gonna start doing db bench when this damn rotator cuff is finally healed...

Well, I don't do either flat. But I prefer incline BB over most anything else. For me, it just feels like the most natural movement. My quads are always sore as hell from leg workouts, so I don't like sitting DBs on them. Plus, I feel like a lot of energy is wasted putting them up. I can't always find the groove on them I like. Now with DB military presses, I can always find the groove and it actually seems easier to get them up. Must just be me.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

i prefer dbs just because i have bad shoulders but i long for the day when i could do any incline bench or shoulder press
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

I love the bench press with a bar because i can use a lot more weight and its an ego thing i guess, but db`s dont hurt my shoulders so bad. I get a killer pump from db`s also.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Good points of barbell bench:

- The bar is almost already in position
    - You can use more weight (ego)
    - For some people the heaviest dumbells aren't heavy enough
    - You can brag about your numbers when questionned about how much you bench
    - You can usually increment with 5 lbs (2 1/2 each side) while most dumbells can't do that

I prefer dumbells tough.

I prefer bb for the simple reason that I can more easily do them without a spot.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I do both. Best of both worlds. Anything I miss with BB bench, I hit with DB bench.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

i dono to me dumbells actually seem worse on my shoulders.but i have really bad shoulders...and i NEVER bench flat....always a slight incline. but i found about db is that i like em when i really wanna hurt those inner pecks. i can really squeaze at the tomp with dumbells. 2 sets dumbell bench followed by 2 sets close grip barbbell press...my inner pecks are feelin good as hell.

I used to use a Barbell all the time. About a month ago, I decided to see use DB's for Bench and Incline instead. The next day, my chest was the most sore it has ever been. They were cramping up all over the place, and I couldn't reach across my body at all. They give me a huge chest pump. My pecs made better gains in the last month than they did the year prior to that I am hooked on DB's. I don't really care about feeding my ego, I just want a better body. Whatever works best for you, use it.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    I prefer bb for the simple reason that I can more easily do them without a spot.
    That doesn't make sense... if you fail on DBs, you can just throw them down, but if you fail with a BB, how do you get out of it without a spotter?

I prefer DBs myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    That doesn't make sense... if you fail on DBs, you can just throw them down, but if you fail with a BB, how do you get out of it without a spotter?

I prefer DBs myself.
    I think he's talking about if you go heavy enough on DBs, you usually need a spotter to help you get them into position. With a bar, you don't need a spotter to help you with that, and if you know your limits well, you can bench without a spotter fairly safely

I used DBs... they give a longer range of motion. Although you have to use a lot less weight (ego killer), they are a lot harder. I think it's best to use both DB and BB, though, because it's hard to switch between the two if you haven't done one in a long time.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Db's are just not heavy enough for me at my crappy gym. Although I have switched over to the bb shoulder press, and I really like it.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    I think he's talking about if you go heavy enough on DBs, you usually need a spotter to help you get them into position. With a bar, you don't need a spotter to help you with that, and if you know your limits well, you can bench without a spotter fairly safely
    Exactly where I was going.

Also, I don't put collars on the bar when benching, so if I fail I can dump the bar. But I know my limits pretty well, and I have yet to dump a bar.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I like doing both. I also have shoulder problems that really act up while doing DB presses of any kind. But, I find if I rotate my palms in while coming down, then it releaves the pain during the motion.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Ego killer? I thought the purpose was muscular exhaustion, not making people's eyes bug out. The only ego killer is getting smaller, and that means you're not lifting BBs OR DBs.

BTW, I prefer DBs, but if the benches are all taken, I'll do BB. It doesnt matter all that much to me.

If your using excellent control/form then i would go for dumbbells, they give a better ROM allowing for greater stimulation of the entire pectoral muscles.

Using sloppy form however is an accient waiting to happen, the way i see some people slamming the weight up and down with a barbell will only be worse with db's becuase of the ROM
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I am a DB person. I don't have anyone to spot me and i feel that i get a better workout from the DBs.
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    Please explain? The beginning position is with the dumbells touching the side of the chest, so how would a spotter help?

Sorry for being rude but I see so many people that use a weight they can't really do one rep with, but with a spotter they do a lot because they get helped on the first rep and then bounce it on their chest (+stretch reflex). There are also many people (with no shoulders issues) doing incomplete reps, so they need a spotter to put the weight at a certain heigh where they begin their reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brubaker
    Please explain? The beginning position is with the dumbells touching the side of the chest, so how would a spotter help?

Sorry for being rude but I see so many people that use a weight they can't really do one rep with, but with a spotter they do a lot because they get helped on the first rep and then bounce it on their chest (+stretch reflex). There are also many people (with no shoulders issues) doing incomplete reps, so they need a spotter to put the weight at a certain heigh where they begin their reps.
    I really have no idea, I don't use DBs for Bench Press so I wouldn't really know. I've seen people need help getting the DBs into position, so that's why I said what I did. Maybe they weren't using proper form though