Thread: When doing shoulder presses

When doing shoulder presses

When standing/sitting, should you maintain a natural arch in your back?

What about on those benches with the vertical back support (I don't know what they are called - The ones you sit upright on)? Should you press your back against the support, or maintain a natural arch?

[QUOTE=DokterVet]When standing/sitting, should you maintain a natural arch in your back? QUOTE]

*** Yes, but don't worry. Your body takes care of this, granted you don't have extremely weak shoulders or spinal erectors. The natural arch allows for a natural distribution of the load throughout the muscles involved in the lift.

What about on those benches with the vertical back support (I don't know what they are called - The ones you sit upright on)? Should you press your back against the support, or maintain a natural arch?[/
    *** This depends, pressing your upper back into the support allows for a greater load to be lifted, while using no support places more of a load on the deltoids.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quick question-Do you guys set the bench to be entirely vertical? I usually set it at the highest incline possible that's not entirely vertical because it allows me to use a lot more weight and feels more natural

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog
    Quick question-Do you guys set the bench to be entirely vertical? I usually set it at the highest incline possible that's not entirely vertical because it allows me to use a lot more weight and feels more natural
    Topdog I understand what you mean. I had shoulder problems in the past and it feels much more comfortable. It is taking work off of your shoulders and putting it a bit more on your chest and tri's but it should be alright. Heck a lot of people don't even think it is necessary to train shoulders.

I just found a fantastic machine at my gym for shoulder pressing. Basically the grips are set up so my arms are facing in front my body, palms facing together and both my arms bent at 90 degree angles. It's so much more comfortable on my shoulders this way. With the way this machine is built I can push my back (lower and upper) into the back rest so that their is no arch. It feels much more comfortable and appears to have less room for cheating on the lift. Is the correct way to have an arch for sure?