The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerlifting w/o a spotter

Do you think its a waste of time to try powerlifting without a spotter? I have only had a spotter a few time, and I maxed out each time. I have been doing low rep/high sets since I started, and made gains, but I don't think I can make any great gains without one. I think I would have it 200 on the bench a few weeks ago if I had one to start out with.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Squatting and deadlifting I think you would be ok. But benching...no.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I dont have enough weights to max on deadlift (Im working on getting some more) and don't have squat rack...

Also, can';t afford gym membership. I have mainly been focusing on O-lifts anyway though, trying to get those up.

I have never seen an olympic lifter with a spotter

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Dangerous, yes, waste of time, no. All you need is a powerrack.

I was mainly talking about bench pressing. When I first started lifting, I was into Powerlifting (well, I wanted to do strongman, but need to get my basic strength up) and people said O-lifts help out with strongman also, but I never really did those lifts, until a few weeks ago. My O-lifts are pretty low, but I just started and am slowing making progress.

I have hard the bar on my check a couple times, but If its not that much, then it doesn't really bother me, I just slide it down my check, sit up, lift it and set it on the floor and do some rows or something, lol.

Westside
    yeah i joined a new gym and dont know anyone i did bench the other day without a spotter and the weight almost locked on me... trust me u need a spotter for bench. Im working on getting a workout partner. Good luck

I used to do 1 rep negatives on bench without a spotter. If it gets stuck, as you said, you just roll it down to your abs and push it to the side, get up while holding the bar, and then continue pushing the bar to your side until it's off you entirely.

I still do ME Bench without a spotter once a week and I never have problems, but if I think I can bench press 100 lbs, I'll usually get up to 90, hit that, hit 95, and then decide whether or not I have a fair chance of hitting 100. If I decide I do, then I'll be sure as hell to push as hard as I can without it getting stuck so that I don't have to bother rolling it off.

try doing that when your bench is 300+
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

If you don't have a regular spotter, ask someone to spot for you - even if you don't know them. Don't be shy, you NEED someone to spot your lifts.

And I'm confused - while a home gym might be cheaper in the long run it isn't in the short.

I workout at home so I lift without a spotter, however when I go for my 1RM on bench I make sure I have a spotter. It does suck especially because you can't risk it for that extra rep sometimes. Still, I think working out at home is more convenient, so it's a tradeoff I guess, and no I don't think it's a waste of time.

Originally posted by Dedicated
    I workout at home so I lift without a spotter, however when I go for my 1RM on bench I make sure I have a spotter. It does suck especially because you can't risk it for that extra rep sometimes. Still, I think working out at home is more convenient, so it's a tradeoff I guess, and no I don't think it's a waste of time.
    I saw your journal and you indicated your lifts might be higher with one. Grab a friend or anyone to spot you. Kidnap the mailman.

Power racks have safety pins for a reason.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher

I saw your journal and you indicated your lifts might be higher with one. Grab a friend or anyone to spot you. Kidnap the mailman.
    Yea just yesterday actually I could have pushed for that 6th rep on bench if I had a spotter. Could have used that for the contest we are in. For some reason I have this mental picture of my mailman spotting me now lol.

yeah, I was looking at some benches today, I would like to get a power rack, but I don't really see that in the near future.

Wannabebig Member
    If you can afford a garage gym you can afford a gym membership. I look at it this way, if I can spend a 1.00 a day on something I don't even need, than I afford a 25-30.00 a month membership, because 1.00 a day is 7.00 a week and 30.00 a month. Forexample
    Day 1: you buy a pack of gum, .99
    Day 2: 2 Cheeseburgers at a mcdonalds 2.00 ( you can eat at home)
    Day3: ect.........
    and so forth. If there is a will theres a way

Wannabebig Member
    One time I was benching in my garage (when I didn't have a gym membership nor a vehicle) and I got 300lbs stuck on me when I was working out, and I rolled it down my stomach and onto my legs, and than sat up and deadlifted it off me. Its not fun, actually its kind of scary, cause you always think to yourself what would happen if I didn't have a spotter and got a whole fatmans load on you and you couldn't get it off, you don't know wheather or not to yell or to try to get the weight off ya. So having a spotter would be a plus, he doesn't have to touch the weight, but if you can't get it off at least your not stuck, lol

Get Big!!!
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Power racks have safety pins for a reason.
    Yeah, about that........I have never benched in a power rack, but I was considering purchasing one. Do the safety pins get in the way? I mean can you actually bring the weight all the way to your chest? If you can, it seems that the pins would be worthless.

Most power racks have pins or holes so you can adjust the safety pins. If things don't quite line up, you can always elevate the adjustable bench with some plates under it. (that's what I did to line things up exactly once)
    5-9 170

yeah deadlift, thats what I do, I have never lifter my max alone. My max right now is 190lbs, I dont don't lift anything over 175 by my selft (at least not for reps).

Wannabebig Member
    I get a spotter for anything over 225, its better that way so you can save energy when he gives you a lift. That way when you get to your important lifts you can lift heavy.

Wannabebig Member
    a rack is good and supposely safe .But a spotter can be motivating too , because rack do not talk !
    I think that to have a spotter or not depend on each personality and on the fact that you have confidence in yourself or not !...but I will say it is better to be savety then sorry !...so find you a good spotter who don't take of the weight from you to fast if he see you slowing down cause of the weight , he needs to trust you also.

Originally posted by WaterWalker

Yeah, about that........I have never benched in a power rack, but I was considering purchasing one. Do the safety pins get in the way? I mean can you actually bring the weight all the way to your chest? If you can, it seems that the pins would be worthless.
    You do not set the pins to the height of your chest. Set them to the height of your neck. THAT is the body part you should be most concerned with. Deaths from benching without a spotter are always caused by asphyxiation. If you can't get it back up, ease it down onto your chest (which is flexible anyway) and roll it towards your neck. Then the bar is supported by the pins and you can wiggle out from under it.

Originally posted by phreak
    You do not set the pins to the height of your chest. Set them to the height of your neck. THAT is the body part you should be most concerned with. Deaths from benching without a spotter are always caused by asphyxiation. If you can't get it back up, ease it down onto your chest (which is flexible anyway) and roll it towards your neck. Then the bar is supported by the pins and you can wiggle out from under it.
    LOL, I do that quite often when going heavy on bench.