The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How to get thick neck & big calves???

Need to thicken up my neck!!! In fact i dont want a neck anymore... Just those big triangles coming down from the head..

Any excercises specially for this area??? I have access to some RAD machines (a reverse pec-dec thing for the back) but been told (from here) that you need to use free weights (super boo) alas i dont know how

And i detest my skinny calves (Same malady Arnold used to suffer apparantly).. But i CANNOT get them bigger... I cycle 40 miles a week (always on highest gear & standing), and a year ago used to do 2 sets of 50*60kilogram Knee-press (legs on fire) for ~7 months, BUT STILL SKINNY!!!!!

Now im doing 4 sets off about 20*~70kilgram.. Should this do it??? Im getting pissed off, i have big(ish) thighs and a massive ass from cycling (thou only 9.6% bf) but skinny legs (im 143lbs).. I look like a ****ing chicken!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To get the neck bigger you need to work the neck. Working the traps helps too.
    Neck exercises
    Trap exercises: BB Shrugs being my favorite.

For bigger calves, I've been doing calves about 3 times a week. Once with chest, then by themselves before cardio and then again with back. Heavy weight drop sets. get 6 reps, dorp the weight, get 6 more reps and repeat until done, that's one set. Sometimes I'll drop it 5 or 6 times. Your calvesa are probably really tough from cycling and will need lots more work to get anything done with them. Pound them every chance you get. 4 sets are not enough. Maybe for one exercise but do another one. If you do them on a day by themselves then give them 10-12 sets.

In order to get something lagging to grow, you are either not working it hard enough or not giving it priority which in turn is a result of the former.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 12-09-2003 at 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed link
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Also, calves are in large part genetic (as HY can attest. ) Look at the BBers competing.....some of them just have small calves, no matter how much they work them.

(Of course, that's not an excuse NOT to train them! ) Just train them as hard and heavy as you can, cross your fingers, and don't obsess about it too much.
    You can't babysit this.

DEADLIFTS hit my traps like nothing else

as for calves, just hit em hard 2 - 3x a week
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Thanx for answers, the genetics thing is probably it :/... Thou i SHALL continue to grapple with my skinny leg fate till the end... Its just pounding them takes so much TIME.. Maybe i can get implants like that guy off TV once did (and he had pec implants too lmao.. Ridiculous)

And HomeYield, that site is AWESOME!!!!! Ill be sure to try those shrugs... Great pointer cheerz

Like carolinagirl pointed out genetics are a big thing for calves. I'm in that boat that is cursed with tiny calves. I have struggled with it but will not accept that as an answer. I blast mine 2-3 (3 mostly) times a week and if I'm lucky and recovery is good, sometimes 4 times.

Since doing this mine have grown more than any other bodypart (proportionally at least). About half an inch for my calves in 3-4 months as opposed to my arms which have only grown a quarter of an inch.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Tha guy on MTV? What a douche.

A tip for working calves: include a two-second pause both at the bottom and the top of the movement. Chances are, you'll have to lower your weights dramatically, and you won't be able to bang out as many reps in succession anymore. You'll also be giving your calves a lot more work to do. Hope this helps.

I'm with Scott on this one. I've been pausing at the top and bottom of the calf raises, and the weight I can move has gone down by half, but they feel like they're getting worked much more effectively. Pausing/coming to a full stop eliminates the rubber band effect from the achillies and other tendons which enables you to move a ton of weight.

I'm also getting a lot of calf work from power shrugs and hang cleans. They're fun too.

I'd also suggest keeping your calves slightly flexed throughout the entire ROM, not just squeezing at the top.

Genetics do play a part in the shape of the muscle and somewhat in size as well. But I really like what HomeYield stated, don't except that as a reason to not push harder. Keep blasting at them until you get the results you're looking for.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Cool, ill give that a shot with the pausing...

And the shrugs, are awesome!!!!! I never thought such a small movement could feel so satisfying!!!! Very pleased, thou i did em the last 2 days (i know i shouldnt but i couldnt resist) so ow

I am not in the bad calf gene pool thank god but when i do need to work em I like standin on the edge of a stair(the balls of feet are on the step), goin controlled all the down, and goin to the top.. You can do them weighted but its better to do complete ones then to add more weight..
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

<<<<<< has good calf genetics
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

ďTake things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.Ē ó Bruce Lee

for neck try laying on a bench grab a 45 lb plate and put it on your head holding it on both sides. with your head barely off the edge of the bench begin moving your head up and down this will make you bigger
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/277brand2.html

Big Calves: One Last Hope

Q: Iíve all but given up on calf training. The bastards just won't grow anymore! What gives?

A: Ah yes, the "stubborn calves" syndrome. What does Dr. Waterbury prescribe for this disease? Well, calves are definitely the toughest obstacle I've had to overcome in my training experience. Iíve tried out so many different training philosophies I could write a twenty-volume encyclopedia of what wonít work with regard to calf training.

Here's your free ticket to even up your calf girth with your upper arms. First, perform heavy seated calf raises. No big surprise with this advice, other than the fact I've found heavy, high-volume training to be superior for developing the soleus. You may be thinking, "But I thought they were primarily a slow-twitch muscle group? Shouldnít they be hit with high-repetition training?" No! It wonít work! This is clearly an example of real world results kicking the ass of clinical data. Training the soleus with massive loads is the only method I've found to hypertrophy this sumbitch of a muscle.

Second, you must perform toe-raise dorsiflexion exercises. Remember, you canít just train one side of a limb and expect any substantial hypertrophy. The body doesn't want to develop strength and size out of balance. This is the bodyís way of protecting your joints. Standing and seated calf raises (i.e. heel raises) are plantarflexion exercises, while toe raises are for the dorsiflexors, the "front" of the calves.

One of the best dorsiflexion exercises is performed on a bench with the lower legs off the edge. The legs are straight and the quads are contracted to hold the position. The calf region is "free" in the air. Place a dumbbell between your arches. Keep it between the feet while performing the dorsiflexion movement (flexing the toes towards your body) using just your anterior calf muscles. Don't let the quads assist you by turning it into a sissy-boy leg extension. (This is performed exactly the same as with the DARD device, if you're familiar with it.)

So immediately start working those anterior calf muscles with eight sets of five reps utilizing a seven rep max. (In other words, don't train to failure.)

Lastly, increased blood flow is the most important element of any calf hypertrophy program. How do you substantially increase blood flow while taxing all the fibers of the calves? Two choices: 1) steep incline walking on the treadmill with a 12 to 15% grade and 2) using one of those Stairmaster doohickies with the two pedals. The former is ideal and the latter also works well if you do it right.

Without proper technique, the pedal Stairmaster exercise (sometimes referred to as a Free Climber) is worthless. Here's what you must do to get a benefit. First, the posterior half of the foot (heel region) must be hanging off the back of the pedals. This is to allow for a full range of motion so you can maximally stretch your calf with each step.

Second, the flexion of your knees should be minimal. In other words, your technique is incorrect if it looks like you're walking up a steep set of stairs. Contrary, you should take fast, short steps and minimize knee flexion, but maximize heel range of motion.

Third, don't hold onto the handles or rails. Your hands should be hanging at your sides or on your hips to challenge the stability of the ankle joint and effectively activate more calf fibers around the entire circumference.

Hereís the program to be performed twice each week:

1) Seated Calf Raises

Sets: 10

Reps: 5

Load: 7RM

Rest: 60 seconds

2) Dorsiflexion Toe Raises

Sets: 8

Reps: 5

Load: 7RM

Rest: 60 seconds

3) Steep Incline Treadmill Walking or Stairmaster Doohicky

Duration: 10 minutes

Note: This hurts!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Powermajt n' T-Mag sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

shhhhhhh!
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock