Thread: Asking for advice

Wannabebig Member

Asking for advice

Sup guyz! I really appreciate all the tips u guyz gave me when i posted the thread about "unequal chest". Anyways, my main goal is to get really nice pecs, like big and defined(cut). Since my left pec is slightly bigger than my right, i try to do most of my exercises with dumbbells,except for the flat bench.Im 17, i started training about 4 months ago, ive gotten some results. I can bench 20 lbs more than when i started(is that normal?). Also, here's my pec routine:

1- Barbell flat bench (12,10,8)
    2- Incline dumbbell (12, 10, 8)
    3- Decline dumbbell (12, 10 ,8)
    4- Incline dumbbell fly(12,10,8)

I train my pecs once a week, like i do pecs and biceps on friday, triceps and back on monday, shoulders on wednsday, and legs during the weekends. So i basically go to the gym at least 3 times a week cuz im trying to focus on my upper body. As for tuesday and thursday, i got basketball so my cardio part is covered plus i aint got much body fat. I do all my exercises in 3 sets each and as for reptitions, i do: 12, 10, 8. I try to drink 2 shakes everyday, one around 10 am and the other right after i train. I always watch wat i eat(avoid fat and junk food). In the morning, i just eat a bowel of cereal and an apple. For lunch, i take these cafeteria meals(healthy ones, not the junk food). And at night, i try to eat as much protein as possible. Well, i juz wanna make sure what im doing is correct. Thanks guyz!! Sorry if its too long

12 sets for chest is kind of a lot. Declines and inclines are a good way to include variety, but they won't do anything for you that flat bench doesn't. Therefore, I'd just recommend a couple heavy sets of flat DB bench and maybe some flyes.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    12 sets for chest is kind of a lot. Declines and inclines are a good way to include variety, but they won't do anything for you that flat bench doesn't. Therefore, I'd just recommend a couple heavy sets of flat DB bench and maybe some flyes.
    I know that there are endless debates as to whether or not you can hit different areas of your chest with different excercises, but speaking from anecdotal evidence only, you can. Incline presses definitely stress the upper chest more from what I can tell based purely on how my body has changed throughout my lifting career. Try this: put your hand on the upper part of your right pec and do an incline press motion with your right hand. You'll notice a contraction with your left hand. Now keep your hand in the same position and do a decline press motion. You don't notice it nearly as much. Try the same kind of thing except with your hand on the lower part of your pec, and you'll see the results you'd expect. Different angles cause different parts of the muscle to contract more strongly. Why would anyone do any chest excercises other than flat bench if this weren't true?

I would keep #1 and #2
    If you want to get strong i would use more weight for 6-8 reps. You should be able to add weight every workout for awhile. 20 pounds in 4 months is not good in my oppion, should be twice that much. It looks like your using lighter weights for higher reps so maybe your not looking for strength.