Thread: is it possible to determine how trim your waist should be?

Wannabebig Member

is it possible to determine how trim your waist should be?

i'm 5' 11", 185lb, 22% BF, and carry my fat around the waist like most people, with a 37" inch waist (measured at the navel, with semi-loose tape). i was shocked at this measurement, because while i have some love handles, they are not very big at all. however, when i measure the waist a little lower, at about the hips, my measurement is 36", only an inch smaller. does this mean that my bone structure is such that i have a naturally large (but not fat) waist?

this information might be relevant -- i'm an ectomorph with a concave chest (it's a minor case of pectus excavatum) that measures 41 and 1/2 ". my rib cage seems to extend almost as much outward as my chest.

any thoughts on this?

Banned
    yuor hips may be wide naturally, and you can have a large trunk, but your waist size around your belly button will drop as you lose BF%

I used to be your waist size back when I was 240ish

at 198lbs, and 12%-13% or so BF, I now have a 33" waist. It's still a bit thick-looking but you can see my hip bones and obliques... as you continue to lean up, odds are your waist will become smaller around than your hips.

Wannabebig Member
    yeah, my core is pretty large and my upper legs are big, which makes me much heavier than i look. you'd never guess that i weighed 185 by looking at me with clothes on (more like 165-170 is what most people would guess).

stupid question -- can a guy's waist be skinnier than his hips? or is that only girls?

My waist is skinner than my hips, It's relative man. Keep on truckin, keep drivin down the road. A stone in the burning bush is worth two birds in a basket before they hatch!!
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

My waist has always been thin (30"), but my butt and legs are large. It's a pain i nthe ass trying to find pants that fit. I should buy women's pants.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

At 22% you know your waist is to big.
    My hip bones are near the surface, feels weird with a lifting belt on, but I still carry some fast right behind my hip bones, love handles area.

I usually lose 3" on my waist between bulking and cutting. Its typically around 31" when i'm cut down as far as I'll go; and around Jan/Feb its around 34".

Currently I'm on the 34" as i'm bulking; I'm 6'2" 210lb