The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaining mass

Gaining mass

Hi im new here. I'm 17, gonna be 18 in a month, and im 140 pounds. I have been working out since February of this year, and i gained about 10 pounds of muscle mass. Then i changed to working out like Arnold (hehe) I bought his encyclopedia on modern body building, and i haven't gained a single pound of mass since February. I look a lot more cut, but no bigger. I assume this is because i moved from low reps high weight, to high reps lower weight. And i am about to make the move back to high weight lower reps. I was benching 135 in my routine when i ended high weight, now i bench like 110 in my sets. This is how i currently look, and i would like to be about 190-200 pounds in a year if possible.

As you can see i am defined but i am slim, i would like to gain as much mass as possible and i just wondered if going back to higher weight and lower reps was the right way to go. thanks for your input in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Damn, how tall are you? ~ 6 feet? Go eat man, don't worry about your benching, just go eat and don't stop eating.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

****, you look pretty tall......

Grasshoppa
    Actually, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say you're not gaining weight because you're not eating enough.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Eat more!

LOL i'm 6'1" and i eat about 3500-4000 calories a day, and im drinkin the whey protein powder stuff and all that, but i just cant seem to gain, but should i do higher weight and lower reps or what?
    The most frustrating this is that i gained more weight in the first 2 months of working out than in the next 8.... its rediculous. and i suspected it was cuz i changed to lower weight and higher reps... and since im tall i got long arms so my benchin and stuff is kinda hampered. i just want to gain mass at this point, screw the definition i have already gained if only i can gain some mass.
    Last edited by doctorcod; 12-10-2003 at 12:18 PM.

Are you sure that is how many calories you are taking in? Some people guesstimate. How much do you weigh? Your metabolism is probably at mach 5 and you'll need to stay ahead of it. You should break down and analyze your diet. Take in lots of potatoes, rice, steak, chicken, fish and lots of veggies. Make sure you have an actual food diet and are not relying soley on weight gainer.

The WBB routines should be a great starting place and you shouldn't have a problem with them if you are eating correctly.
    Last edited by rpffly; 12-10-2003 at 12:27 PM.

You're clearly an ectomorph. I'd eat more (WAY more.....just eat until you start gaining) AND lift heavier. How many reps are you doing now vs. before?

Also, you may think 3500-4000 cals a day is a heck of a lot (it's really not that much in the big scheme of things - we've had guys on here that ate 10,000 a day! ) but if it's not enough to make YOU gain, then it's not enough. Keep adding more calories until you start to get bigger.
    You can't babysit this.

What does your current routine look like?

They are right, you simply need to eat more. Take some creatine too, that might help you. It's cheap and easy to take, make sure to get the powder kind. Um, definitely go with higher weight and lower reps. Start doing sets with reps of 6, that should give your strength a boost and also mass. If you can try to add 5 pounds a week onto your main presses dealing with upperbody every week. And try to add 10 pounds of weight to your lower body presses a week. Thats what my old football coach who at the time was also a marine told us to do, especially the ones on the team that just werent developing like they should. After awhile, you might not be able to bump it up 5 pounds a week, but make sure you bump it up at least every 2 weeks. BTW, my old football coach was like 5'7" 225, and could squat around 700lbs., kinda my idol at the time. Not a very good football coach, but a hell of a weight trainer LOL. Don't forget to eat!...and don't drink soda at all from here on out. LATER

-carl
    Your Mod

oh and also, take a look at my training schedule i posted on here just recently, you dont have to do my routine, but you can take some lifts out of it and go from there.

-carl
    Your Mod

If you aren't gaining, eat more. Do not wait for your appetite to tell you to eat - you should NEVER be hungry.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

gotta EAT man!!!

then stick to all the compounds
    1) Deads
    2) Squats
    3) Bench
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

my routine is as follows:

monday is arms

all exercises done with 15 reps, 12, 10, 8

4 sets for biceps (ez curl bar) 45lbs, 50, 55, 60
    4 sets of dumbells for biceps. 15lbs, 20, 25, 25 (cant break 25 yet )
    4 sets for triceps 10lbs, 15, 15, 15 (cant break 15, lol)
    4 sets for forearms 35lbs, 45, 50, 55 (with straight bar, reverse arm curls)
    4 sets for forearms same weight as above but on the bench with my arms flat, regular wrist curls.

tuesday is shoulders and back

all exercises with the same 4 set structure and 15, 12, 10, 8 reps

4 sets of clean and press 40lbs, 45, 50, 55
    4 sets of bent over rows 35lbs, 40, 45, 50
    4 sets of (forget name, but dumbells in hand and raise them up above your shoulder line for your shoulders) 10lbs, 15, 15, 15 (cant gain)

wednesday is chest

same 4 set structure

4 sets of bench press, 95lbs, 100, 105, 110
    4 sets of incline press, 70lbs, 75, 80, 85
    4 sets of overhead rows, 30lbs, 35, 40, 45

thursday is legs

same 4 set structure

4 sets of leg extensions, 50lbs, 55, 60, 65
    4 sets of leg curls, 55lbs, 60, 65, 70
    dont squat cuz i dont have proper facilities but will soon i guess
    4 sets of calf raises, 100lbs, 105, 110, 115
    4 sets dead lift (when i can), 130lbs, 135, 140, 145

After all of this i take a day off then repeat. thats about it. for right now, although soon im getting a lifting partner and going to a full service gym to get all the stuff i cant at home. Thanks for all your responses and i look forward for more advice.

Too many reps, not enough rest days and always work largest muscles first. For instance, do not do biceps before back day. Read this article and follow it. You could probably add another set per exercise here.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

not bad, i'd suggest lowering your reps and going heavier more like 8 - 10 rep range.
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

One thing I noticed is that you do shoulders before chest day. Personally I wouldn't do this, as shoulders get worked pretty hard during benching. Try to split that up a little more, so your shoulders are recovered before you bench. Goodluck.

Good advice on this thread. Take it to heart.....and cherish it forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carl
    definitely go with higher weight and lower reps

Very much so!

Quote Originally Posted by rpffly
    Too many reps, not enough rest days and always work largest muscles first. For instance, do not do biceps before back day. Read this article and follow it. You could probably add another set per exercise here.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25
    Yep, I agree with this and was going to say the same thing. Very good routine right here.

Then go to www.fitday.com and track your calories. If you aren't gaining at least a pound at the end of the week. Add 500 more calories to your diet everyday. Do this and repeat until you are gaining weight.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

thanks for all of this extremely valuable information, i'm trying to soak it in. starting in 2 weeks i will have access to a gym so i cant wait. now i just gotta know what to eat without breaking the bank...

Grasshoppa
    That's usually how it is...when you first start, it's real easy to make some noticeable progress and it gets progressively harder from there.

On the bright side, you seem to have a raging metabolism, so you don't have to be too concerned with large amounts of fat gain, hehe.

But anyway, even with your routine being ironed out, I'm going to say you might still not be eating enough. Post your diet and if you're still not adding at least a pound or so a week with the suggestions people are making for your routine, eat more.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

will do. should i drink like 2 whey things a day then. Because 1 hasn't done squat.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcod
    will do. should i drink like 2 whey things a day then. Because 1 hasn't done squat.
    By all means, drink as many as you need to to keep something in your stomach. Dont rely on them, in place of whole food.But I drink two or three a day, usually with a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Make `em with milk and you can get a really good dose of protein.

bulking
    Im really surprised that nobody mentioned this before but Arnolds training scheme's are really bad, the volume is way too high and he has hardly any rest days, this is because 1) he was on roids and 2) his recovering abilities were very high (this also because of 1).
    Not only that but you also said that since you started using his scheme you said you stopped gaining, more of what didn't help you in the past, is not going to help you in the future.
    So like, Arnolds book is full of good info except for the training scheme's, way too much volume there. Also, seeing as your a ecto I'd start with WBB1 which is full of compound movements which will do your body good. You might think that its not enough but give it at least a 3 months try and I'm sure you'll be amazed at the results.

And like everyone else said, eat eat and eat.

thanks jinxx. Yeah i appreciate all of the info you guys have given me, i printed out the routine on this forum and im going to try i out asap. yeah i talked to the grocery buyer of the house (the mom of course) and shes gonna buy me all kinds of high protein/ high carb foods. (I like cheesy potatoes) well, off to go eat a bannana, thanks again for all of your help everyone!