The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

New to the board, maybe you guys can help me

Whats up guys, I just found these boards tonight and glad I did. This is goin to be a long post so hold on. I think I could use some help in my training and dieting, actually I know I can. To give you guys some background Ive been training for about 3 years, and slowed down the last year until I decided not to play college football, and I was told I wasnt big enough. Since september I started back into lifting, most of the training prior to that was all body building basic lifts. Two summers ago I was doing westside and after I got split up from my partners(now training alone) I decided to go back to basic lifting, but kinda surprisingly Ive become fully addicted to working out. I just turned 18 Im 6'4'' 218, and my goal is to be bigger, and more ripped for the summer, and after the summer is over bulk again, then cut for the next summer. Anyway, as of now my split has been simple, and I think it needs to change and I need your guys help, and critizism, anything.

Monday is basically Just chest
    Flat Dumbell Press 85 x 10 90 x 8 95 x 6
    Declind Dumbell Press 65x10 70x8 75x6
    Incline Flies 55x10 60x8 65x 6

Tuesdays back
    every two weeks I do heavy deadlifts, Id do 5 sets start at 225 and work up to failure, which so far is a best of 455 which I know I can do better. When Its not a deadlifting day Ill do the fallowing:
    Pulldowns 200x10 210x8 220x8
    Sitting V bar Row 190x10 200 x 8 210 x 6
    One Arm bent over row 105 x 10 110 x 8 115 x6

Wed is Legs
    Squat 225x10 275 x 8 315 x 6
    Double leg curl 180 x 10 190 x 8 200 x 6
    Leg Extensions 180 x10 190x8 200x6

Thursday Is Shoulders
    Overhead Dumbell press 75x 10 80x8 85x6
    Side Raises 30x10 35x8 40x6
    Front Raises 35x10 40x8 45x6
    Rear Delt Flies 30x10 35x8 40x6
    Dumbell Shrugs 95x10 100x8 100x6
    Maching Shrugs(backwards) 10reps work down to 6

Friday is Bis and Tris
    Standing Dumbell Curl 40x10 45 x 8 50 x 6
    Hammer Curl 35x10 40x8 45x6
    tris:
    Standing Tricep Ext. 70x10 75x8 80x6
    Push downs, or close grip bench, and I would work reps of 10 8 and 6

So now Basically I wana get better at this sport, and get bigger. Can you guys please let me know What you all think. I eat every two hours 6-7 times a day taking in about 30gs of protien at each sitting, I dont pay attention much to my caloric intake, but Im trying to start forcing myself to cause I understand its important. I also will cycle creatine two weeks on and three weeks off.

Let me know what you guys think, anything will help, diet plans, work out plans, Let me know what you guys think Give me some input. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One thing I might mention is doing heavy sets first. Like on your chest day, you are pyramiding up to the 95's for 6. What I might recommend instead is:
    50x6
    70x4
    85x2
    100x6
    I say that because I think could easily rep out those 100's like that. The 3 previous sets are just warm up or acclimation sets. They just get your body ready to lift the heavy weight first. They aren't meant to be working sets or anything but just to get your comfortable with the weight. From there, if those 6 reps are easy or you get more than 6 reps, do another set with the 100's. If not, then bump it down to the 95's for the next set and try to get 6 or 7 there. I think you'll get more out of it that way instead of buidling up to that weight. You won't be wasting energy doing sub-maximal weight.

I tend to try to follow that routine. Other than that your routine looks good. Very similar to one that I grew pretty well with. I might just suggest doing shrugs on back day since it has a bit less volume than your shoulder day. Might even out those days a bit.

On weeks you don't deadlift, I'd toss in a couple of sets of straight leg deadlifts on leg day to hit those hammies a good bit more.

As far as nutrition and stuff goes. I like www.fitday.com. It helps you keep track of what you are eating and how many calories you are consuming. If you are looking to bulk or cut that's important. See about how many calories you are consuming during the day and try to keep it around there from day to day. If you are bulking and not gaining weight then you know to add calories and if you are cutting the same principle applies, cut calories if you aren't losing weight.

Hope some of that helps and good luck in reaching your goals.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

HY has some great advice on how many reps you should shoot for. Like he said, the lighter weight is just to warm you up and allow you to get comfortable with the heavier weights.

Are you performing any plyometrics? I think these would be a good thing to add in if you want to perform better on the field.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member

here is some advise

Looks like you are workin out really hard so keep up the good work. I see that you get in about 30 grams of protein at each meal. as long as you are getting a gram and a half of protein per body pound then you are doin great. But my question is, how many carbs do you take in a day and when do you take them in? you need carbs and protein before and after you work out. And do you take a slow release protein before you go to bed at night? you do 33% of your growing at night and if you dont have anything for your muscles to feed on then your lozzing the game. I recomend the protein called Nitrovarin . and there are 2 more supplements you might want to check out and thats glutamine and creatine, both are very natural and safe.