The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
    Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar

A Diamond in the Ruff

Towards the end of last year I took a few months off from the gym as work and school overtook all my time. After a week in Vegas back in January of this year and way too much all you can eat buffet I found myself near the 190 mark.

The funny thing about being out of shape is you don't realize how horribly out of shape you are until you try to get back in shape. The even funnier thing s looking back on the pictures from being out of shape you realize you looked even worse than you had thought you looked when you started trying to get back in shape.

For the last 8 weeks I've had in the back of my mind that I would be doing my first show in march of 04. However the rational part of me feared my body would simply be far too burnt out from dieting the better part of this year already.

Stats as of

11/24/03

scale weight 166lbs
    Bodyfat 15.5%

training schedule

Cardio- 1 hour, 6 days/week, 20-30 minute second sessions 2-3 days/week
    Lifting- 4-5 days per week.

Supplements

ECA stack 2x day
    Multi-vit
    2-4 fish oil caps
    BCAA's before cardio

Thoughts-

This was my first time getting clipped this year....15.5% was a wake up call. Looking back at when I started dieting in February I thought I was like 18 maybe 20% bodyfat at most....I was probably like 25% god only knows as I may have been higher....

11/26/03-11/27/03

Took a break from dieting for the holiday, thanksgiving eve had my last beer for what could be quite a while and ate some chocolate chip pancakes at a dinner at 4am. Thanksgiving day eat my face off like it was the night before my execution.

11/30/03

Diet was better, cardio and training was back on track but took my last chance to indulge in some pizza before diet was modified for pre-contest.

12/1/03

Diet adjustments were planned andd metabolism needs to be reset. This week would ultimately determine if my body was capable of reaching the sub 3% bodyfat needed for the day of the show.

12/2/03

Start of new diet.

Cardio- NONE, banned from all forms for 7 days.
    Lifting- 3 days this week.
    ECA- Dropped completely

Started taking Meta Cell, snazzy new creatine product.

Observations for the week- Dropping ECA after 12 weeks of use SUCKS, workouts were horrible, zero motivation to train and difficult to get pumped. Extremely fatigued despite extra sleep. Strength was down as an affect of fatigue.

12/9/03 judgement day

scale weight 162
    Bodyfat 13.6%

This solidifies it, 16 weeks out...the countdown has begun. I was extremely nervous that I would be too burnt out to dial in for the show, but after all the adjustments and seeing the larger than expected drop in bodyfat my body is telling me to GO.

The goal is sub 3% for march 27th and the goal is in my sight, the race has just started but I can already see the end.

priorities-

Injury prevention- shoulders have been acting up recently but I've been slacking on my stretching. This needs to improve.

Water intake is alright but could be better.

No training today.

Thats it for now.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

We"ll be watching and you know your goal!
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    Deibiddo

Gentleness requires strength
    I wanta new drug, one that wonít make sick! One that'll makes me three feet wide one that'll makes me three feet thick!

Originally posted by Severed Ties
    This solidifies it, 16 weeks out...the countdown has begun. I was extremely nervous that I would be too burnt out to dial in for the show, but after all the adjustments and seeing the larger than expected drop in bodyfat my body is telling me to GO.

Good for you! (And that means there's hope for me, too!)

Now - just put August on your calendar too, and everything will be perfect.
    You can't babysit this.

'bout time you started up a journal

Good luck with it, boss. And yeah, even though I won't be in the show in August, it'd be great to see you with the rest of the crew.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

The funny thing about being out of shape is you don't realize how horribly out of shape you are until you try to get back in shape. The even funnier thing s looking back on the pictures from being out of shape you realize you looked even worse than you had thought you looked when you started trying to get back in shape.
    That couldn't me more true. Nice to see a new journal

[QUOTE=PowerManDL]'bout time you started up a journal
    QUOTE]
    Word.

Good luck with the training, ST. You'll kick ass.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Good to see you back in the game my friend, i look forward to seeing your progress.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Good luck with it, man! I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this journal to see how things progress for you.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Under 3% bf?

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

CG- I will definitely keep August in mind so you will have to send me the details for the show.

PM- It was more out of shear laziness that I never did, but after having my training log lost and my dieting notes thrown out I figure I need a place to keep my thoughts where someone won't destroy them,lol.

Pizdoff all my bodyfat measurements are done by skin caliper which is not a measure of true bodyfat levels as you can't measure the fat surrounding orders without a water tank and thatís just impractical. Skin thickness or rather thinness because of subcutaneous fat is all that matters when it comes to getting on stage which is what I will be tracking.

Pup, HY, ND, Deib- thanks for the support.

12/10/03

Cardio- still none, will probably do my first session tomorrow.

Lifting- Back/Bi's,

Thoughts- First day since dropping ECA that I had a remotely decent workout. The yawn factor was down by at least 50%. Strength was still down a little but was able to get a decent pump.

Shoulder watch 2.0- right started acting up during pull-upís, so I backed the intensity and reps down. Was able to end workout without any radiating pain, this alone pushes even a poor workout into the realm of decent in my book.

Stretching- pressed for time but was able to get some of them in between deadlift sets.

Observations- some veins are finally peaking out of my forearms, I'm like the lease vascular person in the world so to see this much with my bodyfat as high as it is, is kind of surprising but none the less pleasing.

Sleep- only 5 hours last night, need to work on getting more.

Water- better

Diet- flawless.

ST

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

ST-
    Are you going to provide any more detail on your training/diet? A lot of us would be interested, I bet!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Agreed. I'd also like to know why you're dropping the ECA. I found it almost invaluable while I was cutting. Just wondering if you plan on tossing it back in later or something.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I can't believe I actually had to go look for this....I guess people actually post in their journals or something,lol.

ND- since ya asked about my diet I'll post it, I have it printed on a spreadsheet so I didn't out of laziness. Training I just plan to keep notes on for the sake of time. Maybe as I get more used to keeping track of everything I'll log my workouts as well.

HY- I dropped ECA because I had been on it 12 weeks already. My body had become attenuated to it so I dropped it. I will add it back in when I'm not dropping a sufficient amount of BF% each week.

Diet goes as follows.

All food portions are weighted and measured.

Meal 1

1 english muffin
    4 egg whites
    1 egg
    1 8oz cup of OJ

Meal 2

1 EAS Myoplex shake mixed in 24oz of water.
    1 8oz cup of OJ
    4 psyullium husk caps

Meal 3

2 pieces of whole wheat bread
    6oz sliced white turkey breast
    1 8oz cup of OJ
    2 EPA/DHA fish oil caps.
    1 gram vit C
    400iu Vit E

Meal 4

1 EAS Myoplex shake mixed in 24oz of water

Meal 5

7oz white skinless chicken
    1 cup cooked of white rice
    1 multi-vit

Meal 6

1.25 cups of fat-free ice cream.

Supplements I'm currently using.

EAS myoplex- 2 packs per day
    Multi-vit
    psyullium husk caps.
    fish oils- 2 caps/day
    BCAA's pre- and post- workout
    Meta Cell- post workout
    syntrx gugglebolic, 3 caps daily.

Probably not exactly what you would expect but their is a method to this madness,lol.

and yes I drink alot of OJ...

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-12-2003 at 08:56 PM.

12/11/03

No training.
    cardio- 20 minutes.

Started my first session of cardio...I think I just started sweating and the session was over. Sure beats the 60 minute or double sessions I had been doing 2 weeks ago but I don't get to listen to nearly enough disturbed.

Sleep was better today, 7 hours...would have prefered 9 or 15.

Diet- flawless.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-12-2003 at 08:33 PM.

12/12/03

WBB forums were down last night so that plan was to get some extra sleep....somehow I only got 4 hours. suck....

Cardio-none
    Training- Chest

Usually this is paired with tri's but workout partner had to leave so I will do an arm only day tomorrow.

Workout impressions- first chest day in two weeks with pain free pressing, DB strength seemed up. Workout intensity seems mostly recoverd since dropping ECA.

Observations-

physical- Where fat is being utilized seems to be different than when I diet using macronutrient seperations/carb control.

Mental- Had some concerns that the longer day due to work would lead to hunger pains/cravings cause I had to spread my meals exactly 3-3.5 hours apart. Thus far I've finished 5 meals and had no problems.

Diet- Flawless thus far.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-12-2003 at 08:55 PM.

Cutting diet looks great.

What are the psyullium husk caps for?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Just added fiber, slow digestion down a bit since liquid cals get absorbed quicker than solid foods.

ST

Nice to see you are going to be competing and have started a journal

Just out of curiosity, did you or have you experienced any headaches since dropping the ECA?
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Wow, I just saw this. I'm really glad to see you starting up a journal. We have similar bodytypes, I think, so it'll be nice to see what is successful for you. Good luck man!

Oh, and what's up with all the OJ?

Chase no headaches to speak of, just serious lethagy. About the only time I can recall getting one recently is on days were I sleep less than 4 hours the night prior. I don't know what the connection is but thats about it.

Gal I could use other fruit but I just like OJ.

12/13/03

Cardio- none

Lifting- Legs, crappy workout, hamstrings were still tight from deadlifting the other day

Sleep- 8.5 hours

Diet- flawless thus far.

ST

Do that voodoo that he do
    Good to see a journal from you, man. You know I'll be checking in!

Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

12/14/03

Lazy day today, snow storm closed the gym so no training and no cardio. The extent of my activity was hours of non-stop video gaming.

Legs were surprisingly sore from yesterdayís incredibly mediocre workout but it's my first time training them in 6 weeks so I suppose it's expected.

It's probably better I wasn't able to lift today as today was supposed to be my last volume training day but I will take 3 days off from lifting and start up with my HIT routine on Wednesday.

Diet- flawless as usual

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-14-2003 at 11:37 PM.

Are you pulling any trickery with your diet, as far as rotating calories, macros, any of that type thing, or just using the basic eat-under-maintenance philosophy?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Oh their will be trickery but not what people are used to seeing. I don't do calorie rotation and the macro's stay basically the same throughout. I think it works out to 2350 cals, 38% protein/ 41% carb/ 17% fat but I don't have the breakdown in front of me.

I will always be below maintenance calories but the diet or more specifically the food evolves as my bodyfat gets lower. Since the body will adapt to any set diet to level off bodyfat reduction as fatloss slows some variable in changed to overcome that adaption. The easiest variables to manipulate are

-Time and number of cardio sessions per week
    -Number of training sessions per week
    -Supplements used (ECA, NYC, green tea and such)
    -Quality of food selecton

With a simple look at my diet it's obvious their are some better food choices that could be made...brown rice over white being a basic example. However if I start out at 15% eating the cleanest possible foods, what am I gonna eat after my body adapts and I get stuck at 7% or 5%, you can only do so much cardio or drop cals by so much before you just catabolize muscle so you need more variables, and better "burning" foods are crutial for this.

Variables like cardio will also increase each week. I only do 20 minutes 2x per week at the moment, by the week of the show I will probably be doing an hour per day or 45 minutes twice daily if needed.

Conversely if my bodyfat just contines to drop for some freakish reason the diet and training do not have to evolve.

I get my bodyfat checked every week so I know at the start of each week what adjustments need to be made. Last week I dropped 1.9% doing no cardio and barely getting to the gym which is an excellent week but the first week always has the most dramatic drop on any new diet. So this week I added a minimal 2 20 minute session of low intensity cardio as my goal is to keep losing 1% each week. On the weeks I do better than 1% very little will change however if I lose less than 1% more variables will be changed to try and lose 1% the following week.

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-15-2003 at 12:47 AM.