The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    Rookie I wouldn't even worry about it, the closest I ever got was 197 and I had to put on a hell of alot of fat to do it. My strength was awesome but honestly I don't think a 370 bench is worth looking and feeling like crap. With all my joint problems I don't particularly care what I lift anymore, I just care about being one shredded mofo.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

You know you're addicted when you give your drinks nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by NDBeast
    And twice as big.
    to gal.
    Twice as big my ass, honkey. I'm almost your size and soon I shall crush you. CRUSH!

Quote Originally Posted by Severed Ties
    Rookie I wouldn't even worry about it, the closest I ever got was 197 and I had to put on a hell of alot of fat to do it. My strength was awesome but honestly I don't think a 370 bench is worth looking and feeling like crap. With all my joint problems I don't particularly care what I lift anymore, I just care about being one shredded mofo.

ST
    At the rate you are droping bodyfat, you will be. Proportions is the name of the game.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Wow I can't Believe I glossed over this Journal.
    I'll be stoppin in regularly Y'know.
    it's good to see you started one.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Diets still been spot on, packed some plex for the movie then had to piss for the second half of it.
    ST
    Hardcore.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol.

ST

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

12/18/03

No training today, back is hella lit from yesterrday.

cardio- 20 minutes

Diet- Today was the first day that was truely challanging to stick to my plan, the pharmacy is becoming a haven for home made cookies, brownies, cakes, and pasteries that our long time customers bake us as gifts for the holidays. Worst of all we have so much of this goodness both our frigerators all the cookies are spread accross the fill counter...after eight straight hours they start talking to you....

If it were up to me I'd dump the insulin to hide the cookies...already threw out some EPO this week...whats another grand or two??

Off to sleep now in 5 hours I get to get up and go talk to the desserts more....who would have thought a german cake to have a russian accent....

ST

ROFL!!

Donuts are all swedish lesbians.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Energizer Bunnie
    12/18/03

...truely challanging to stick to my plan, the pharmacy is becoming a haven for home made cookies, brownies, cakes, and pasteries that our long time customers bake us as gifts for the holidays.
    Challenging indeed.....I've been given home made logs of marshmellow infested rocky-roads, rum balls you name it.... would be fine if I had an "off" button
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Twinkies sound like fat Chicagoans.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Franjipani
    Challenging indeed.....I've been given home made logs of marshmellow infested rocky-roads, rum balls you name it.... would be fine if I had an "off" button
    Dam those sound good, I know I have to avoid this stuff at all costs because I have incredible willlpower not to cheat, but if I do even a little all bets are off.

12/19/03

I think every idiot in the county came to see me today for their stupidity regulators. Went to the gym friggen twisted but it worked out in my favor as I had one friggen intense arm workout.

Diet was good in that I stuck to my plan but being up so early caused me to have to space my meals out further than I like.

To twisted to write more...

ST

12/20/03

20 minutes of cardio and perfect eating, my ass is going to sleep.

ST

12/21/03

Cardio- none

Absolutely destroyed legs today, I think Bill Phillips added some dbol to the new myoplex forumla cause strength was way up today....maybe HMB really does work like deca

note worthy lift:

Hammer strength leg press- machine fits 10 45's at most. Usually I work up to 8 plates (4 per side) for 8-10 reps.

Today
    4 plates x 20 (warm up)
    6 plates x 15 (felt extremely easy)
    8 plates x 14 (never did this many before, bring the weight!)
    10 plates x 10 (never did this weight, but it felt dam good)

Diet- flawless

ST

If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol.

ST
    Alright this **** goes in the sig. (it has special meaning to me, because I have snuck in half gallons of milk to the movies on more than one ocasion)

Awesome leg workout, very impressive. Kick ass dedication, keep it up man. You will reach your goals.
    Last edited by smalls; 12-21-2003 at 09:56 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Tell me about it smalls, I routinely fill those poland sping sports bottles with myoplex and will drink them at the movies or at a bar...when we would go to the track I'd pack a huge cooler and go eat between races. I've come to love cargo pants for this reason as you have plenty of places to hide food...I'll spend a day at great adventure and walk into the park with 3 meals jammed into my pockets.

It all goes back to commitment. If you want something bad enough you do what you have to, to get it.

ST

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Yeah. When I bring my shake to school sometimes and tell people it's a protein shake they accuse me of taking steroids. Ugh. Gotta live with it I guess.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

It all goes back to commitment. If you want something bad enough you do what you have to, to get it.
    Totally agree.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Jeff whats really friggen sad is that If you go somewhere with a protein shake everyone has a comment. However if you put your protein shake into a Yoohoo bottle this is prefectly normal to everyone. I used to do this so I didn't have to listen to people run their uneduated mouth.

ST

Tell me about it smalls, I routinely fill those poland sping sports bottles with myoplex and will drink them at the movies or at a bar...when we would go to the track I'd pack a huge cooler and go eat between races. I've come to love cargo pants for this reason as you have plenty of places to hide food...I'll spend a day at great adventure and walk into the park with 3 meals jammed into my pockets.

ST
    haha, I agree completly. A big sweatshirt tucked under your arm works pretty well for the movies. I've gotten tuna sandwiches, bananas and milk in that way. The best part is dealing with everyone elses **** who just dont understand why your not bringing in candy and pop. It's nice to see others who know what it takes and are willing to do it.
    I will defenitely be following your journal, another inspirational one to add to the many good journals here.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

12/22/03

Training- none

cardio- 20 minutes

Diet- flawless

Bodyfat check in tomorrow....11's here I come.

ST

Flawless"
    Aight man. Spill it. I would very much like to know what the definition of "Flawless" is to Severed Ties.

Nevermore I posted my current diet in like my 4th post in this journal. I eat the same thing everyday so flawless means weighting, measureing and eating exactly what I posted previously. If I have to make any substitution, miss a meal, or cheat I am keeping track of it here so I have something to reference for adjustments.

ST

12/23/04

Posted late as I spent all of this day christmas shopping....I make it a habit not to start shopping until the 23rd as it makes finding gifts more interesting.

Scale weight this morning was 161 lbs which is a two pound drop since last week.

Bodyfat clipped today at 11.0% down 1.2% from last week.

progress looks as such thus far

Started 166 lbs @ 15.5% = 26 lbs of fat and 140 lbs of LBM
    week 1 162 lbs @ 13.6% = 22 lbs of fat and 140 lbs of LBM
    week 2 163 lbs @ 12.2% = 20 lbs of fat and 143 lbs of LBM (adjusted)
    week 3 161 lbs @ 11.0% = 17.7 lbs of fat and 143.3 lbs of LBM

After three weeks I've lost 8.3 pounds of fat and actually gained 3.3 pounds of LBM.

Progress has exceeded my expectations, I'm about a week and a half ahead of where I need to be. My plan was to get ahead so I could relax and enjoy christmas eve and christmas. However I'm getting such good results I actually don't want to take a day off. So despite all the cookies, cakes, and other goodness in the house I think I am just gonna stick to my diet. Best case I can always slow myself down later on when I am leaner.

Nothing worth mentioning workout wise.

Merry Christmas

ST
    Last edited by Severed Ties; 12-25-2003 at 12:14 AM.

Damn you're making excellent progress! Nice work and Merry Christmas!