The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

advice on calorie intake for 250lbs+ teenage girl

I have a friend who is 20 5,6 tall, and weighs 250lbs+ who I'm helping build a weightlifting routine and a diet regime. I need help from you guys though to determine how many calories she should originally be taken in to lose weight at a healthy rate and how many calories she should be taking in when she is done the program to maintain her weight. Her ideal goal is to be any weight under 150lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better. Also what is the website that shows you how to perform exercises?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Have her start @ 2800 cals.

For a routine, how about a 3 day push/pull/legs split?

Obviously lots of cardio.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

ďTake things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.Ē ó Bruce Lee

Thanks for the response. That's about the amount of calories I was thinking. I don't really know how losing a lot of weight works. Like the amount the person would need to take in to maintain their goal weight. But well see.

This is what I have come up with. Any suggestions would be helpful. I realize this girl is going to have a lot of concerns regarding many things but I'll be there to answer them. I don't know where I'm going to cut the complex carbs from though. She says she always eats out and for this reason I put in the fast foods.

JillíS ROUTINE

Weightlifting

Jill here is a simple routine that you can do at the gym. It shouldnít take you more than like 35 minutes. Itís best that when you go to the gym you make it productive but quick. That way you donít get frustrated and it becomes a lot more fun. Remember progression is the key! Always try to add a repetition or increase the weight. If you can do an exercise at a certain weight 12 times, next time you do the exercise a week later add another plate(weight) and do as many as you can. If this time you can only do say 7 reps. The next week try to do 8 reps. And so onÖÖÖ.. The stronger you get the better. Remember to always have fun with this. It will make every part of your body feel stronger and healthier.

MONDAY

LEGS
    Leg press 12,10 reps
    Leg extensions 12,10 reps
    Leg Curls 10,8 reps
    Cal press 15,10 reps

TUESDAY

CHEST
    Machine bench press 8,6 reps
    Flyes 8,6 reps
    SHOULDERS
    Shoulder press machine 8,6 reps
    TRICEPS
    Pushdowns 8,6 reps

FRIDAY

BACK
    Assisted chinups 10,8 reps
    Some kind of machine row 8,6 reps
    Shrugs 12 reps
    BICEPS
    Barbell curl 8,6 reps

EATING PROGRAM

Jill you are going to eat 6 meals a day. Think of it as 3 real meals, and 3 shakes in between. The meals are high in protein and complex carbohydrates. You are going to be taking in at first 2800 calories. This should be a good amount. Iím going to adjust the amount of carbs you take in but the protein is going to stay the same amount throughout the whole program. The program is going to last 12 weeks (3 months). If you want to follow my program you have to buy muscle milk (chocolate flavour) from any nutrition store. Look around for the best price. This is the best tasting protein there is in my opinion. I know you donít like to eat breakfast but itís very important and for this reason you are going to start of your day with a protein shake. Here is what you should eat.

MEAL 1

1 scoop of muscle milk
    1.5 cups of skim milk

206 calories

MEAL 2

Grilled Chicken Combo from wendys
    Baked Potato with sour cream instead of fries
    Diet Drink

640 calories

MEAL 3

Same as meal 1

206 calories

MEAL 4

Subway footlong sub with cheese on whole wheat bread (ham, roast beef, roasted chicken, subway club, turkey breast, turkey breast and ham)

600 calories

MEAL 5

Same as meal 1

280 calories

MEAL 6

Up to you what to eat

High protein and 720 calories

TOTAL CALORIES PER DAY 2800

WEEKS 1,2,3
    Eat this exactly
    Do cardio 2x per week for 20 minutes

WEEKS 4,5,6
    Reduce calories from carbohydrates evenly through all meals by 200 and keep protein the same.
    Increase cardio to 2x per week 30 minutes.

WEEKS 7,8,9
    Reduce calories from carbohydrates again evenly by 200.
    One day per week increase your caloric intake by 500 calories. These calories should come from extra complex carbohydrates only.
    Increase cardio per week to 3x 30 minutes.

WEEKS 10,11,12
    Reduce calories from carbohydrates evenly by 100 again.
    At the beginning of the program you were eating 2800 calories a day. Now you are eating 2300 calories a day.
    Increase cardio to 4 x 40 minutes per week.

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE FINISHED AND SHOULD BE FEELING REALLY GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF!!!

Looks good man. Its good that she has a knowledgable friend like yourself. Thats the way someone who doesn't know too much about it ought to lose weight; not following stupid fad diets or going anorexic.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

I know it is very hard to say....But how much is someone expected to lose by doing my program. Will they lose just like 1lbs a week...but once they get to 2300 calories a day maintain losing weight?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    2800 could be high

it's not like a good % of that is muscle

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Here's what my meal plan looked like when I was first starting to lose weight and learn about weight training, etc.

Breakfast:

Grains: (choose one)
    1 slice whole grain bread
    2 slices reduced calorie bread
    3/4 cup unsweetened high fiber cereal

Fruit: (choose one)
    Manga 1/2, Orange 1, Peach 1, Banana 1, Cantaloupe 1/3 melon, Apricot 4 fresh or 8 dried halves

Dairy: (choose two)
    1 cup skim milk
    1 cup vanilla yogurt fat free

Fat: (choose two - anytime during the day)
    2 tsp light Peanut Butter
    2 tbsp reduced fat salad dressing
    1 tbsp regular salad dressing

Lunch:

Grains: (choose one)
    2 rice cakes
    4 slices of melba toast

Fruit: (choose one)
    Plum 2, cherries 12, apple 1, blueberries 3/4 cup, nectarine 1, strawberries 1 cup

Lean meat (2 ounces):
    Turkey, chicken, tuna (water packed)

Vegetables (choose 2):
    Cabbage, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, tomato

Dinner:

Grains (choose 1):
    1/3 cup cooked rice
    1 small potato

Lean meat (3 ounces):
    cod, veal, salmon, turkey, catfish, shellfish, scallops, chicken, tuna (packed in water)

Vegetables (choose 2):
    Onions, snow peas, zucchini, red pepper, spinach, asparagus, green beans

Take 2 servings of protein supplements (one in the morning, one after workout). And, of course, drink tons of water. If you have to drink pop, drink diet.

This diet varies over time. She may want to increase the amount of veggies and fruits so she doesn't feel as if she's starving herself. That's what I did when I first started.

With this meal plan I've been able to lose a ton of weight (way too much to mention ). It also taught me how to eat properly and really learn how my body works. I highly recommend it.

Good job on your weight loss and thanks for taking the time to write all that down. I have a feeling you have much more dedication than this girl. I don't think she has time or will make time to cut up veggies etc...anyways i'll let you guys know how it goes.

Yeah about the weight loss rate 1-3lb/week is decent without losing too much muscle or gaining too much loose skin. Unless she wants to go down in weight hella fast by cutting cals very low, but this isn't really smart to do as she would lose muscle tissue in the process(almost guaranteed) and lose leanness which has happened to me before(Not Fun). You should start at 2800 like you said earlier. that sounds decent. and increase/decrease calories accordingly.
    I say 1-3lbs with some water weight in consideration. If she loses 4-7lbs odds are its waterweight or muscle.

Make sure she weighs herself at the same time every day. i.e not after a meal or bathroom. :P

Jet girls routine is a good example. just stick to fruits, veggies and whole grain foods & cereal for the complex's as she stated. Also with the cereal if she cant stand the taste of some of the ww/wg cereals out there she can try mixing it with something like smart start which is slightly sweetened and then slowly ween off of it. I did that with Wheaties/Smartstart and now I rip thru wheaties like a machine. :P

As for having time to cut veggies.. She can try picking up things like Pre-packaged salad mix. I got a bag that lasted me like a week and a half from CostCo for like 2 or 3 bucks if I recall correctly. :o

Also a personal dieting rule of thumb.. Dont eat carbs during idle times of the day unless theye complex and try to keep the protein up there as well as water as to not lose muscle. (Muscle helps burn fat hella fast, night and day difference)

Also make sure she ditches the Fastfood, hehe Diet is so incredibly crucial.

Didn't know what you had in mind for cardio, but the Elliptical machine is a decent option. Less stress on the joints than a treadmill or jogging, almost 0 impact.

Just my 10c. Hope Jill reaches her weight goals.
    Tc
    Last edited by AllUp; 12-04-2003 at 12:51 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    do you know how much she is eating currently? because 2800 could be more than she's consuming now. it probably doesn't take that much for her to maintain if she has a sedentary lifestyle.

if she is used to eating regular food for breakfast, then is drinking a shake instead, she could be really hungry at lunch and give in to those cravings for fries. the shakes probably digest faster than what she normally eats.
    Last edited by chops; 12-04-2003 at 12:49 PM.

get come ECA in there too help her out! I bet will a diet,training,eca if shes devoted could lose weight so fast!

Originally posted by 347D1SC
    get come ECA in there too help her out! I bet will a diet,training,eca if shes devoted could lose weight so fast!
    Good idea. try an ECA or maybe something slightly weaker like Hydroxycut. Most of them have an appetite supressing effect which is always good.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

I don't know about the eca stack. She says she has some health problems from being overweight. She says she never eats breakfast and is never home to eat home cooke meals. She always eats fast food and always gets the worst thing on the menu (big bacon classic etc.... So i figured she can eat fastfood but at least make it the healthier choice like grilled chicken and subway. She's going to write down what she eats on a given day so that i can see how many calories she takes in on a given day. Then you can help determine the best starting amount of calories she should be taking in. She has gone on weighwatchers, Dr. Bernstein's( wtf is this weird stuff. didn't sound healthy at all) etc.... I just feel bad for her and thought I'd write down this program. She doesn't seem to have pocessed great willpower or self esteem so I just want to be able to give her a simple program that she can follow when the time is write for her.

I don't know about the eca stack. She says she has some health problems from being overweight. She says she never eats breakfast and is never home to eat home cooke meals. She always eats fast food and always gets the worst thing on the menu (big bacon classic etc.... So i figured she can eat fastfood but at least make it the healthier choice like grilled chicken and subway. She's going to write down what she eats on a given day so that i can see how many calories she takes in on a given day. Then you can help determine the best starting amount of calories she should be taking in. She has gone on weighwatchers, Dr. Bernstein's( wtf is this weird stuff. didn't sound healthy at all) etc.... I just feel bad for her and thought I'd write down this program. She doesn't seem to have pocessed great willpower or self esteem so I just want to be able to give her a simple program that she can follow when the time is right for her.
    Last edited by Darcy Tucker; 12-04-2003 at 01:35 PM.

Originally posted by Darcy Tucker
    She says she never eats breakfast and is never home to eat home cooke meals. She always eats fast food and always gets the worst thing on the menu (big bacon classic etc....
    ROFL. That so sounds like me last year before I woke up and smelt the coffee.

This took a while coming from the person friends used to call 'Teh Monsta' I used to demolish 1/2 a 1&1/2" thk sicilian pizza per sitting. Also I used to walk into Wendys like I owned the **** and get 2 triple bacon's at like 1:30AM.. Like Every Day, hehe.

Yeah ALL fast food isn't horrible, but unfortunately with fastfood if you have a limited budget its hard to eat healthy, Usually the salads range from 5-8bucks. Make sure soda's and juices are cut off the menu. :o

And for the ECA stack if she does do one make sure she has no caffeine prior. or have caffeine but no eca for safety.
    Last edited by AllUp; 12-04-2003 at 01:57 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---

Grasshoppa
    You don't need supplements early on. Get started on a good diet and training program first and foremost. A lot of people rely on ECA as a crutch...it helps, but your diet and training are the most important factors. If her loss starts stalling, then I would throw in the ECA.

And when she is home, just cook all your meals for the day or the next day...that's what I do. I'm usually on campus all day (7am - 7pm or later). I just have all my meals ready in the morning or fix it the night before.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 12-04-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I really don't think she needs the muscle milk at this point. It's probably going to be really hard for her to stick to that diet every day, seeing as how she must be used to eating a lot of crap if she's 250lbs. Just getting her to cut out the garbage foods that she's eating should be enough to get her losing weight for a long time

So instead of eating a box of cookies, she can eat celery. That way she doesn't have to watch the portions really, just eat better things

Originally posted by thetopdog
    So instead of eating a box of cookies, she can eat celery. That way she doesn't have to watch the portions really, just eat better things
    Yay. Celery.. :/

hehe j/k I agree It will have to be a somewhat gradual transition.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---

You da man!

Bulking Man
    You all may not like this idea - but SERIOUSLY consider one of those pre-packaged meal places like Seattle Sutton - or even get her to sign up for E-diets. For people that have never ate healthy before - it can be very difficult learning what is good and bad (best example is fruit juice - that stuff is as bad as soda) and what the proper portion sizes are. With Seattle Sutton or E-diets there really isn't any legroom. If you stick to the diet - you will really learn about what is good and bad. In addition - you will get a LOT of variety with these diets... easier to stick to than only having a few suggested items to eat.

I also think that 2800 calories may be too many. I think that 2300 would be a better goal per day - that way if she slips up once a day and has something she's not supposed to - it doesn't matter so much.

I also think an appetite suppresant would be a excellent idea. I used to weigh 235 and i'm now down to 185. The ECA made a huge difference in helping me to resist cravings.

Other tips:
    - Make her carry a bottle of water everywhere.
    - SET UP A GOAL/REWARD STRUCTURE - Shoot for stuff she can achieve like every 2 weeks.
    - Convince her to work out in the morning and make it part of a routine... I say mornings because the gym is less intimidating then and it is best that working out becomes a way of life.
    - Don't be so strict about protein/carbs/fat - for somebody that big - just cutting the calories will do the trick. Again - a structured diet would give her everything she needs in the day.
    - There is WAY too much fat in muscle milk. There are better protein sources with less calories and fat. Let her eat food for those calories and it will be easier to stick to a strict calorie limit.
    - I agree that muscle preservation should not be the key. we are talking about a LOT of weight. Try to make it easy.

Darcy, Whats her home life like? Does she watch tv and stay in 1 room mostly? I mean this as a serious question.. Im not cracking or anything.
    Last edited by AllUp; 12-05-2003 at 12:19 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    ---
    ---

I don't really have a response, but I must say I am glad to see an overweight female not being afraid to lift weights.
    5-9 170

There is WAY too much fat in muscle milk. There are better protein sources with less calories and fat.
    I agree 100% . I just thought it would be best if she was taking in a lot of protein. But regarding the fat content. I didn't really care about it I was just looking at the total amount of calories it had. But seriously muscle milk is the best tasting protein i've ever had. I don't know how you guys manage to constantly take in protein that tastes like ass. I have a massive gag reflex even for designer whey.