The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Da Tejas

Skateboarding + BB= Injury

Well I finally did it. I managed to have my first injury during my workout tenure, yet it was by a skateboard of all things. Feeling confident resulted in a severe upper ankle sprain and a partially torn ligament.

Anyways, I hate just sitting around my apartment or struggling to get around campus on crutches. I yearn for another chance to workout.

How long is too soon to at least do upperbody stuff (doc says stay off the foot 2 weeks)

How did you guys with similar injuries cope?

Less calories while unable to lift?

Thanks alot in advance.
    WBB Conditioning Program
    Goal: To not be breathless after 1 mile on the track or 15 min in the gym.
    Weight:210

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you should still be able to do workouts with your upper body. You'll just have to be careful in your excercise selection. Ex. Don't do standing barbell curls.
    You should be able to keep your cals the same, or if you want just drop them by 2-400~ a day. Don't forget your recouping an injury.
    Last edited by Adam; 11-08-2004 at 05:01 PM.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

MACHINE
    You can do any upper body exercises that allow you to sit or lay down on a bench. I can't think of any upper body exercises you can't do...
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

The lesson here is : Don't skate.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

The Boxer
    I just injured my knee pretty bad. I have to get surgery on Friday and I'll be on crutches for a month. To me using the crutches feels like it works out your whole upper body. Just from one week of walking with them my pecs and all arm muscles are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Very bad advice
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by superior_will
    Very good advice. I used to skateboard and was always hurting myself. Eventually I tore my ACL and just said screw it, it's not worth damaging my body like this.

Banned
    I skated back in the day as well. The reason I stopped was because of bodybuilding. The bigger and bulkier I became the harder it was for me to ride the fuc*in thing. And if you pump your as* around on that thing day in and day out, good luck getting that big in the first place.

I used to skate 5-7 hours a day minimum. I worked at subway and drank nothing but whole chocolate milk. My caloric intake was easily over 5000 cals on work days and I weighed all of 140lbs and broke over 60 boards. I still skate ocassionally but at 220lbs I couldnt afford new decks or the injuries If I was still as into it as I was.

Still do your upperbody workout, just be carefull on the ankle. My left ankle has about 1/3 the flexibility of my right.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Save for overtraining, strengthening your body doing weight training can only help prevent injuries.

Re Inkury
    Sucks, hope it heals fast. Dislocated my right shoulder myself....so I do reps on my keyboard and mouse not mostly.

Edit: Inkury?
    Last edited by PizDoff; 11-18-2004 at 05:31 PM.

Ankles hate skateboards. I twisted my ankle almost 90 degree toward the inside when landing off a pyramid doing a stupid kickflip.

I stood on my cousin's skateboard 2 years ago. At about 230. Broke the ****er the first time I even hopped on it. Decided that was an omen.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits