The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I figured tonight to myself tonight that the fact that I've only got 122 lbs of lean body mass and about 23 pounds of fat on me. I've decided that it would better suit me to bulk up than to try to cut when I'm in this condition. Here are my "stats"
    5'5.5"
    143lbs
    16% body fat

Which means that my basal metabolic rate is about 1650 calories.

I need some advice on what to eat in order to bulk- ie. how many calories and consisting of what? Mostly carbs? I've gotten so good at losing weight that I have no idea how to put it back on! I've been working out pretty hard but not seeing much result and I think its because I havent been eating enough to build new muscle. I want to gain 15-20 lbs of lean body mass in about 5-6 months...right in the middle of summer. Is that too lofty a goal?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Kaboom.. ??
    10~20lb in a 5months is not much.. i gained 30~40lb in about 4months when i started training(includes fat)..
    Everyone would say this but before counting your BMR... Count how many kcal you are eating rite now... Were you gaining weight?? or losing weight??? and then increase good amount of kcal.. i recommend around 300~500kcal..
    try to eat around 1~1.5g/lb of protein.. and according to your caloric needs, increase it...
    my diet is currently 3800kcal with 50%carb,25%pro,25fat. I weigh 150 and 12~13% BF

Good Protein
    Chicken Breast, Lean steak(loin,Round), Tuna,Salmon(has good fat too), Cottage cheese, Whey

Good Carb
    Whole grain things..

Good Fats
    Natural Peanutbutter.Flexseed oil(Cold processed), Extra Virgin Oil, Canola Oil,

Do yourself a huge faver and save a ton of frustration and time wasted....

Order this book- read it 2 or 3 times, and then follow the Bodybuilding program for add lean mass with out having to get fat.

http://www.missabs.com/health/faigin.html
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Wannabebig Member
    She speaks the truth. Definitely get the book.

Is that a personal endorsement? Until the book falls into my dirty little hands, I'm going to increase my cal intake by 400 and switch up my macros. I've never eaten so much oatmeal in my life.

bone crusher
    i have switched now to the bodybuilders program and will trim a bit more fat later this spring. I am enjoying the NHE program!

15-20 of lean muscle in 5-6 months is very good.. watch your diet, train hard and sleep well and you got it.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Doc= how long have you been on the gaining program?... Did you stop losing fat, or has some come on with it?

I have not used that part of the program, just the
    Get the fat off me rotation.... I can honestly say it is the easist dieting(eating) I have ever done.

Not to mention is is so cool to have all those scientific reasons of why I have known for years this works.
    MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

bone crusher
    Hey miss abs and anyone else i have been doing the regular program for about a month now and dropped 4+ %bf now (205lb to 180lb). I obviously had some seriously easily shed fat-most likely from that damn maltodextrin i was using! Given that i am using a tanita BF scale(bio-impedence) i DO NOT trust the absolute bf % but I DO TRUST the CHANGE in bf % it is measuring. gains were slow this month but i seem to have retained strength.

Also, I can see some abs, back, and just general overall definition starting to appear (i was VERY soft before) for the first time in my life!!

I am hoping by switching to the bb NHE that I could bump up cals w/ some flax oil and get some growth and gains. maybe even make a leaner 190 by may-that my goal !

MissAbs...
    Whats the name of the book you're referring to? I click the link and my computer won't take me to it.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

Wannabebig Member
    The name of the book is Natural Hormonal Enhancement. You wont find it at Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Just mostly at online fitness places and small supplement shops. You can pick it up at http://www.missabs.com too!
    It is a really good book that teaches you the proper way to eat and train. Sorry if this sounds like an ad, but I really like it

Ahh...so it appears that this book holds a great deal of merit. Good to hear since I just dropped some dough on it.

Wannabebig Member
    I bought the book. It has highly impractical dieting plan similar to the anabolic diet. Cannot be adopted for long term. The book asks you to eat more fats but never mentions omega3/flax oil. Treats olive oil & canola on the top, as we know they suck. Olive has omega9 which is bad for heart. Canola comes from the word "Canada", where they use it for oiling machines. Not good for human consumption.

The book suggests post workout nutrition as protein shake with butter/olive. Your muscles would catabolize if you don't feed them with carbs after workout. And of course butter/olive can cause heart disease.

The book says polyunsaturated fats are worse than saturated fats because they do not give testosterone. Well flax/fish oil is mostly poly and their benefits are great. I would go for safflower oil rather than olive to get my mono unsaturated fats for tesosterone.

No matter what people tell you to sell their books: following a simple diet with fiber rich complex carbs, adequate protein/fats is the best approach. Probably 50-30-20 split. Most americans are not insulin resistant and eating fiber rich complex carbs would never make you fat. Just don't do it too much.

Originally posted by MissAbs
    Doc= how long have you been on the gaining program?... Did you stop losing fat, or has some come on with it?

I have not used that part of the program, just the
    Get the fat off me rotation.... I can honestly say it is the easist dieting(eating) I have ever done.

Not to mention is is so cool to have all those scientific reasons of why I have known for years this works.

Did you follow the diet? Does it WORK? Thats all I care about...(I say this with much sorrow)..I just want to know if I wasted my money or not. In the least I'll get a few good hours of reading out of it.

Gary, not sure where you came from but every post I read from you this morning is very negative.

Secondly it is imposslbe that you read the book or maybe you didn't comprehend what you thought you did read... hard to say.

I am not even going to get into the dispute with you, about his recommendation for post training meals. Or why you should use Olive oils as a clean source of fat. Or why you do not need carbs post training if you are a NHE eater, Or why Rob wants you to manage active carbs, or why the constant influx of carbs is so important to testoserone elevation and gh.

Budiak- I promise you this, if this is not the best, most educational book you have ever read, and you do not learn one new thing about food and dieting after you read it, I will personally give you all your money back. That is how much I believe in this book. Trust me, I am not in the business of selling books, I am in the business of helping people get what they want from their bodies without frustration.

MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

Damn MissAbs...You got a great way of puttin it girl! If he doesn't believe it...hey screw it. We'll all gladly take your wise advice ANYTIME!

bone crusher
    you said it spideyongear!

bone crusher
    Gary if your worried about your fat compostition then incorperate more fatty fish-as people doing the NHE program should be! but the fact is that people who consume large amounts of olive oil and eat fish have great arteries. olive oil is mainly monounsaturated fat anyway and unprocessed extravirgin contains many, many antioxidants! Also, you can't cook w/flax and polyunsaturated oils in other mixes are succeptible to thermal oxidation and thermal isomerization.
    besides fish is the undisputed best source of omega-3s as flax contains alpha-linolenic acid which must converted to eicosapentaeneoic and docosahaxaeneoic acids in the body!
    However, I am using it to supplement some fat as flax contains natural vit E. as i believe most nuts and seeds do (someone please correct me here if i'm wrong)

Wow. I cant wait to read this book.

MissAbs,
    That book sounds good. Unfortunately right now I don't have the money to spare to buy it. However, I personally promise to buy it from your site in the coming months.

Woah I just read something crazy on another board....
    >>>I'm a competitive bodybuilder, 46 years old, lifetime natural. I'm into my fourth week of the diet. Following a seven day "metabolic U-turn", I take 30-50 g of active carbs per day, plus some 200 g of
    protein and up to 400 g of fat. On Sunday and Wednesday, the last meal of the day is a carb load, with no limit on carbs, emphasizing starchy carbs. Also, those days have no weight training.<<<

400 grams of fat? You're kidding me! Is this what actually happens in this diet, Missabs? I'm going to read the book but that just...scares me!

Wannabebig Member
    I would say 400 is a bit high. I'm taking less than half that, but I'm also a small guy. There is no specific amount really, but you have to have enough calories to grow, so the bigger you are the more you would need.

Kaboom.. ??
    Budiak,.. eating high fat, high protein, low carb is the idea which intended to use fat as source of energy instead of sugar(carbs).. I heard this is really good for sheding fat... There were articles about this on some magzine.. i dont know if i can post up the site here.... what the heck.. goto http://www.t-mag.com and search diet manifesto.. it describes all the diets that they have came up with and they rated it..

Wannabebig Member
    MissAbs, I would apologize for making any rude remarks.

I just felt that NHE diet plan is not practical for long term. Their suggestions on hormones, foods and workouts are fine. I did learn something nice from the book. However, a major part of the book is talking about NHE diet plan. I am not that desparate to lose or gain 10++lbs in 30days. If I can eat a balanced meal and lose 4-5lbs fat in a month or gain 4-5lbs muscle in a month, why should I go for such an inconvenient/fad diet plan.

Just my choice. *NM*

Originally posted by MissAbs
    Gary, not sure where you came from but every post I read from you this morning is very negative.

Secondly it is imposslbe that you read the book or maybe you didn't comprehend what you thought you did read... hard to say.

I am not even going to get into the dispute with you, about his recommendation for post training meals. Or why you should use Olive oils as a clean source of fat. Or why you do not need carbs post training if you are a NHE eater, Or why Rob wants you to manage active carbs, or why the constant influx of carbs is so important to testoserone elevation and gh.