The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Going from Atkins to The Zone

Okay, I have gone from a chubby 240 to a pretty lean 218 in the past 7 weeks on the Atkins Diet. I feel it was great for quick, necessary weight loss. Now, I want to go about it more slowly since I still have 5 months until summer. I would like to start having prodcutive workouts again, and gain some strength on a few month powerlifting cycle. I am 5'10" and 218. I have been getting less than 50g of carbs a day, and have been in a constant state of ketosis for nearly a month now. I plan on switching to the 'zone' diet. I have worked out the ratios for the 40/30/30 parameters to 200g protein, 150g carbs, and 65g fat. These add up to be exactly 1985 calories. Now, if I switch overnight from 50g of carbs to 150g of carbs, will I get a great deal of weight gain? I will be working out 4 times a week, and also running 4 times a week. Good idea, or bad idea?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you will probably gain glycogen/water weight.

I was consistenly losing 3lbs a week on Atkins, do you think I will see the same results w/ the zone? Will the weight loss be slower? Th eonly time I will be getting simple carbs is before and after a workout, the rest of the time will be purely complex carbs such as oatmeal, rice, etc. Also, my fats will be prety much EFA's. Lots of nuts, peanut butter, and fish oil, little to none saturated fat.

you should be able to continue to lose weight if you keep your calories the same.

Excellent. I calculated a normal daily calorie intake to be abotu 2100cals day. So, I am getting 100 less cals. So, even though I won't be in ketosis, I will still lose the same amount of weight since the calorie deficit is still the same?

Have you checked out Lyle McDonald's UD2.0? I've been on it 5 weeks gained 4lbs of LBM and lost 8lbs of fat and gained some strength. He has a power lifting workout in it as well.

Grasshoppa
    Ketosis is more or less a side effect of the particular diet. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are burning any more fat than you would on a balanced diet. With that said, if the diet is sound and your training routine is in place, you should be aiming for a 1 pound loss per week at most if you don't want to sacrifice a lot of LBM.

If you want to stick to a ketosis type diet, a CKD or TKD is something you might look into. In fact, if you're lifting at all, I'd recommend a CKD, or TKD, over atkins. IronDaddy's recommendation of Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald is also an option. I'm currently using it now and am dropping a good amount of body fat while gaining a bit of LBM at the same time.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

I think if you gain anything it will be mostly water weight since that is a drastic change. I would recommend going to a CKD instead. I was weighing in at 250 @5'7 and I am now 177. Most of my weight loss was due to CKD. I also have lost very little muscle mass. In fact, my measuremnts for my arms and legs are still the same as when I was fat, give or take a 1/2 inch.

Congradultaions on your weight loss by the way.

Thanks guys. I would rather stay away from a carb restricted diet. Since I lost my goal weight, I would like to slow the weight loss(but keep losing) and start gaining strength. Thanks for all yoru help.

A PL'er on atkins? How much strength did you lose during that 7 weeks?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by IronDaddy
    Have you checked out Lyle McDonald's UD2.0? I've been on it 5 weeks gained 4lbs of LBM and lost 8lbs of fat and gained some strength. He has a power lifting workout in it as well.
    Damn, 4lbs of LBM and 8lbs less fat in just 5 weeks?? That is impressive, are you just begining? I've thought about checking out the UD2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    Damn, 4lbs of LBM and 8lbs less fat in just 5 weeks?? That is impressive, are you just begining? I've thought about checking out the UD2.0.
    That's what is so impressive... I've been lifting w/out breaks for a year. Off and on for about 5 years.

Heh, too much man, too much. But the good news is I actually look good now. My strength will come back fast. Overall, I would guess that I lost 25lbs. on bench, 45lbs. on squat, and no idea on deadlift. Oh well, i'll just wait till next year to compete.