Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Soccer Shoes

Indoor Soccer Shoes

Do any of you use indoor soccer shoes for squat/deads? I tried a pair of Adidas Sambas which had a similar sole to Converse (about 1/2"), but the Adidas were wider. I could also feel the floor through the sole, which I thought was excellent. I'm giving these some consideration, looking for input.

Btw, sandals and slippers are frowned upon at my "gym" ...
    Last edited by Anthony; 12-21-2003 at 04:14 PM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I've never tried soccer shoes, sort of sounds like a wrestling shoe.
    I just were shoes called aqua socks when I do squats and deads. They don't have any ankle support but have tons of grip and are very thin.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Do any of you use indoor soccer shoes for squat/deads? I tried a pair of Adidas Sambas which had a similar sole to Converse (about 1/2"), but the Adidas were wider. I could also feel the floor through the sole, which I thought was excellent. I'm giving these some consideration, looking for input.

Btw, sandals and slippers are frowned upon at my "gym" ...

I had a pair of sambas that I wore for like 3 years before they finally fell apart. Great shoes.

Hell, this thread makes me want to go buy a new pair right now.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Me too! I'm going to buy Sambas tomorrow. Now I have an excuse: Lifting shoe.

I've probably owned 10 pairs in my life, but not in the past 2 years. Super comfortable walking around shoes.

I've also used indoor soccer shoes for DLing and OLing. Great lateral stability, moreso than wrestling shoes.

I bought a pair of Adidas Sambas today and just got back from a squat workout. All I can say is these shoes rock.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

... these shoes rock.
    Or rather: they don't rock -- which makes them great.

Put my indoor soccer shoes in my bag....before going back to my school residence..Excited for squat day tomorrow.

I actually traded my Sambas for a pair of Airwalks - thinner sole, wider, and I got them on sale for $70 less than the Sambas. I've used them for deads and like them a lot. I'll squat in them tomorrow.

I tried indoor soccer shoes for squatting and i liked them a lot better than basketball shoes. Much thinner sole.

i dont get it, i see guys wearing the indors soccer shoes around all the time in the gym..how do they actually help you squat and deadlift and such in the gym??..LT
    "Animosity lies within the bloodstream"

They won't help you lift weight. It just feels better on your feet because they are that much closer to the ground.

LT, any shoe with a thin flat sole is great for squats and deadlifts.

For squats, they help because you're pushing against something that is flat and hard, not a cushion that expands and contracts depending on how much pressure is on it. Think about a vertical jump off a concrete block VS a vertical jump off an air mattress - what scenario will give more height?

For the deads, the same thing applies, but it's also nice to be closer to the ground so there's less ROM.

LT, any shoe with a thin flat sole is great for squats and deadlifts.

For squats, they help because you're pushing against something that is flat and hard, not a cushion that expands and contracts depending on how much pressure is on it. Think about a vertical jump off a concrete block VS a vertical jump off an air mattress - what scenario will give more height?

For the deads, the same thing applies, but it's also nice to be closer to the ground so there's less ROM.
    Not to mention that many shoes people wear to workout are a running-type of shoe, which tends to have a lot more support in the heel and seems to make it easier to roll to the ball of the foot. I like a flat shoe with zero ankle support, so I switched my grappling shoe for some indoor soccer shoes. And I know this is the PL forum but they also help a lot with calf raises, too

hmm maybe ill grab me a pair..LT
    "Animosity lies within the bloodstream"

I like my chuck taylors; lots of support, thin, flat, and cheap. Oh and they come in many different colors.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    I have been using plain tennis shoes for squating and deads ever since I can remember, after some threads, I take it the shoes most used by everyone here are: for squating is:

Adidas sambas or Chuck taylors?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

For squatting, you are generally better off with a stable shoe with a flat sole.

So, most cross trainers and certainly running shoes are out.

I wear Converse All Stars (the leather ones, not Chucks) for squatting. I like a higher shoe to keep my ankle stable.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

This thread threw me off for a sec there. I'm thinking soccer shoes (with cleats). Why would anyone want to squat or DL with those? Then I read later everyone meant "indoor" shoes.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I got a new pair of Sambas and I use them every time I Squat/Deadlift.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 05-27-2004 at 04:05 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    I constantly wear my Adidas Sambas in and out of the gym. I wish they were breathable though. Whew wee!

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    cool, and they are not as expensive as I thought they would be. They gotta be better than the 20.00 shoes I buy now
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Wal-Mart sells a pair of the Chuck Taylor look alikes for $10. Exact same thing. I tried them on as well as a pair of Chucks and there is no difference, so I bought a pair. On my ME squat or deadlift days I wear them. Any other time I'm in the gym I wear the Sambas.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

i wear my iversons that i had for basketball. they are my favorite shoes that ive ever squatted in. tons and tons of ankle support, which is what i need most, and also since they're basketball shoes they have nice grip. i like high-top basketball shoes for squat and like some adidas superstars for deadlift.
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

i use sambas too!
    "Color outside the lines"