Thread: double or single progression?

Wannabebig Member

double or single progression?

Hi, I wanted to know what were everyones thoughts as to how to progress in weights. Is it better to use single progression, set number of reps, and then add weight. Or to use double progression, ex. rep range of 4-8 and then add weight when top number of reps is reached.

Depends. They both work.

For stuff where the progression jumps are too big (dumbell curls, for example), then double progression is certianly the way to go.

Otherwise, try them both.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I like some of Ditillo's recommendations regarding progression.

When training heavy low reps it makes sense to me to employ single progresssion using sets. i.e. start with 3sets of 3 and work up to 7 sets of three, then bump weight. This seems like a really sensible way to increase weight w/o as much injury risk.

For higher rep work, it seems a lot easier to go with single progression using reps for obvious reasons.

In general, it seems to me using double or even triple progression frequently could more quickly lead to overtraining. I would tend to use this at times when my diet and recovery were really dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Depends. They both work.

For stuff where the progression jumps are too big (dumbell curls, for example), then double progression is certianly the way to go.

Otherwise, try them both.

This is a great reply. Everyone is different, but you're right, they both work.

Successful BBuilders will use them both. When I'm bulking I tend to try to bump the weight up each week (as I'm usually eating enough to manage it).

When maintaining (or especially when cutting) I try to increase reps (most sets from 6-10, although you have to include the magic phrase "it depends")

Although again, do what works best for you. The "one size fits all" mechanism sure as hell doesn't hold water for BBuilding.