The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Reflection On The Year And Progressive View on the New Year

Reflection On The Year And Progressive View on the New Year

Dec. 24, 2003
    A lot has changed this year. It was late last year that I said enough with this being skinny ****, itís time to get bigger and gain some weight. And so it began, I resolved to stuff myself more and choke down food when normally I would say I had enough. It was very difficult because Iím not a big eater normally, which accounted for my constant weight of 135 lbs for several years. I only had access to a few weights that my parents got for me, but I made them work. I had previously worked out for endurance, taking martial arts and all my aim was more to tenderize the heavy bag. Admiring the impact from my fast fists, knees, elbows and shin is very satisfying. Researching and reading articles online I changed my workout from doing high reps medium weights to lower reps with more weight to stimulate more muscle hypertrophy. It worked; combining this new different workout with higher calorie intake I gained about 25 lbs quickly to be at around 159 lbs middle of June from my lowest point of the year at 134 lbs. I look back now at a picture I have on computerÖI was disgustingly underweight. I am hovering around 170 currently, with the goal to be 190-200 when I ďfinish.Ē I am slightly disappointed for I did not reach my unofficial goal of gaining 50 lbs in a year, which would have been pretty incredible. Yet I am happy with the way I look now, people noticing Iíve gotten bigger. Yeah I may have some image issues but Iím getting better. (Read ďsexier.Ē Muahahahahah!) I HAVE gained 37.5 lbs from my lowest point in the year to very recently.

No matter, when I return to residence at university I will have access again to machines and heavier weights. I will need to pace myself, so as not to strain my bad shoulder, wrists and knees too much. Due to some uncertainty with her schedule in the coming semester my residence area soccer team co-captain did not send in another application to continue the soccer team in the coming semester. And horrid as I am with my timetable I paid no attention to this at all, assuming the application date was later. So, no residence section soccer team is organized next semester. Good thing as my team had little actual skill and I can only do so much. This will allow me more time to workout, work on schoolwork, and look for work. I am still tempted to join a soccer team next semester as an extra player if they need me but at least I wonít have to get anyone organised. I have also decided not to do Japanese Jujitsu next semester. This will give me more time and save me some calories but the main reason is to shelter my decrepit body from the wristlocks and dumb newbs. I still plan to drop by at times to beat people up, er, get beat up that is.

At the beginning of the year I also rededicated myself to martial arts training. I had previously for two and a half years treated martial arts as a weekend hobby that I couldnít really care for. I began absorbing all I could, researching other styles and discovering how convoluted Wing Chun lineages were. I joined a discussion forum and have learned a lot from the various viewpoints and experiences. Now injuries and re-injuries due to training with injuries have made me realise (after so long) that Iím not young anymore and I need to take some time off. Interesting cycle Iíve noticed, from being red-hot interest wise for martial arts to being fairly cool about it now. I still have a couple years ahead of me in my old bones so I can afford to take some time off. In the next 3.5 months of the upcoming semester I plan to try to gain some weight, increase my lifts and come back strong and healed up. I will also force myself to study as the past semester I have been slacking too much.

Thank you for reading. That probably wasnít the most stimulating post youíve read recently but it was more of a personal reflection and plan. Feel free to share your view on the year and plans for the next year. Remember I donít consider these just ďNew Yearís ResolutionsĒ but goals I WILL achieve with my hard work, dedication and patience. These things will happen. Best of luck training and lifting to you in the coming New Year.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sorry, too drunk now to read all of that. But good luck in the new year! And yes: you WILL achieve if you put the effort in.

Party On Phreak!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Party On Phreak!!!!
    Thanks, I did!

But now that I'm sober: you're right to be hesitant about those Jiujitsu classes. Judo basically cost me my PL-'career'. I routinely had overrotated shoulders and I'm still having problems with a busted knee. But the technique and conditioning work are cool. Just no sparring.

135? damn.

how tall are/were you?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

too much typin', too little eatin'

6' tall!

one of my old girlfriends called me "stickman" because I was so skinny