The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 128 1231151101 ... LastLast

WBB's Professional Hobbit

On certain days, that's what I feel like, the mighty SobaSLUGGARD. (Because when I was growing up, my mom would come into my room and kick me out of bed. I LOVE sleeping. )

Behold my piddling journal which will hopefully grow into something worthy among all y'all worthies out there. (j/k)

Full disclosure: 32, 6'1", 140.5 (weighed that morning). Yuck. I think I win the award for thinnest member of this site.

Monday, December 22, 2003:

First day (EVER!) in a gym. All body workout. Can't remember poundages or specifics, but it was a total body workout except that we didn't do direct ab work or calves.

Standing barbell curls (just the bar) 2x12
    Seated dumbell curls (prob. 10 lb. weights?) 2x12
    Smith machine squats -- 2x12
    Gravitron pullups -- 2x15
    Dip machine -- 2x10 (I think)
    Seated cable rows -- 2x15
    Bench presses (free form) -- 2x12 (note that he (Elliot) was spotting me on most of these. I did 3 of the last set by myself...barely. )
    the pec-dec machine. not sure what to call it. involved a wide angle movement that resulted in me bringing my arms together and squeezing my pecs. -- 2x12

I'm sure I'm missing one or two more things but this is what I can recall.

something that differed today (Wednesday) from Monday was that there was no warmup!!! Probably because I have a different trainer (Daniel). I actually managed to learn a few more things today than before. Also didn't help that Elliot was late.

Diet: Eating is not a problem for me. Sometimes I even amaze myself, in that I don't know where it all goes.

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, triple peanut butter sandwich (three slices whole wheat bread, each side with pb, one side with strawberry jelly), glass soy milk, tangerine. I'm lactose intolerant, so I drink tons of soy milk. Tried Lactaid (gives me gas and diarrhea), tried dried milk (more gas), soy milk seems the way to go. Cheese and yogurt is all right, because the lactose is for the most part gone.

Meal 2: Post-workout shake.

Meal 3: can of water-packed tuna, glass of soy milk. cup of plain yogurt. (Not a fan of fruity yogurt, there always seems to be more protein in the unsweetened version. Plus I've developed a taste for it.)

Meal 4: 3 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, smeared with a 1/2 T. of EVOO and seasoned with lime salt and turmeric. Roasted potatoes. Steamed broccoli. A banana.

Meal 5: Cottage cheese with peanuts and raisins. A tangerine. Glass of soy milk.

Not shown: TONS of water, drunk throughout the day. Either tap or bottled water. Have a HUGE vat of bottled water that I have delivered every week. Time to put it to good use. On weeks when I don't have it delivered, I pick up a six pack of oversized bottles of Poland Spring at my local food mart.

------
    Tuesday, December 23: Man oh man, Tryska, I hate you. DOMS hell. Well, not as bad as the first time I worked out (w/o weights). Actually I think it started a couple of hours after the session. S'ok, don't mind me.

141 lbs. yesterday morning. Yay, an entire .5 lbs.

Meal 1: Cup of plain yogurt. Triple peanut butter sandwich. Banana and tangerine. Glass of vanilla soy milk.

Meal 2: Cottage cheese, with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Can of water-packed tuna.

Meal 3: 2 bags of trail mix. Glass of plain unsweetened soy milk. Glass of orange juice.

Meal 4: 3 oz. of boneless skinless chicken breast. Steamed broccoli. Roasted tomato and onion. Leftover roasted potatoes. Glass of soy milk.

Meal 5: Protein shake. (mixed this with soy milk) A banana.

TONS of water throughout the day. But definitely not 3 liters worth prior to beddie time.

----------
    Wednesday, December 24:

143 lbs. this morning. Yeah, we know what's going on on the down low.

Not as sore this morning as before. Well, delts and arms (specifically bis) are still a bit so will lay off of them today. Need to write down WBB #1, will start that on Friday.

First thing's first: Elliot didn't show. Strike 1 against him. (Later, he calls me around 3:30 saying he got the message late. Hm. Well, if he didn't call, I'd be ready to switch but the problem is that I'd already bought a 5 pack with him. But I digress.)

Daniel, the replacement trainer they gave to me put me through a leg/back routine. This time, had a warm up and stretch routine. I think in the future, I'll get to the gym 30 min. beforehand and do warmups (either presses or the bike thingie) and do stretches before I meet with my trainer. I fully believe in carpe diem. You know, carpe diem? Well, carpe THIS!

Leg press -- 3x15 @ 90 lbs.
    Medicine ball squats -- 3x15 @ bw

I had problems doing regular squats since I kept bringing my heels up off the floor, so I've been told to do something that will help correct the movement and improve things as I go along. Also, should know that when I was born, I had corrective surgery on my right leg. I was born with a club foot, and couldn't walk for a year. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but my stance was noticeable when I was doing the squats.

Leg extensions -- 2x15 @ 35 lbs.
    Leg curls -- 2x12 @ 35 lbs.

Seated cable rows -- 2x15 @ 20 lbs.
    Pull-ups (machine assisted) -- 2x12-15 (on the 18 peg thingie)

then did a cool down.

Question: Dan told me to work abs once or twice a week. Ppl here seem to favor working them once a week. That ok?

I need to learn proper form. At least some of it is bleeding through. Need to squeeze shoulders and back more when I'm doing rows. Need to time things correctly when I'm doing extensions so as not to slam the weight down.

Did my BMR. Also found that not all PTs are built differently. Dan calculates BMR and caloric plan for his clients. Elliot didn't do that the first time around. Hm, a lot of things he didn't do the first time around. D is a certified nutritionist and PT. Oh well, live and learn. That's what y'all are here for.

Meal 1: 2 hardboiled eggs, triple PB sandwich, glass of soy milk, banana.
    Meal 2: Protein shake (post-workout)
    Meal 3: Peanuts, glass of water, cup of yogurt.
    Meal 4: Not yet.
    Meal 5: Not yet.

Comments, please

I turn 33 as of midnight tonight. Go me!

Soba
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

this is me.

Not a bad mug at 32/33, eh?

Now all I need is some meat on dem bones.

Soba

edit: I knew I was forgetting something. They say that once you hit 30, your brain is good as gone. My long term goal is to be 150 and muscular by end of 2004. My short term goal (and there are so many to choose from!) is to be able to perform exercises correctly, with proper form, without the assistance of a trainer. My short term goal (weight wise) is to be 145 and muscular.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Focused70; 12-24-2003 at 03:30 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Welcome to the boards and happy birthday. Good luck with the new journal and with your goals. You will find plenty of encouragement and solid advice here!
    The world acording to prune

If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning.

Well your close to my age. But I have eaten things bigger than you for breakfast. :evillaugh

Just kiddin. Poke around here and we will help as much as possible.

As for abs I work mine every damn day I go to the gym. Cause I'm 34yo 5'11" and 215lbs. (lots-o-fat)
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

Thursday, December 25:

The worst part about sleeping (for me, anyway) is waking up. With me, there's never too much sleep. heh.

Weighed 144.5 after the inevitable bathroom ritual. Gee, 4 lbs. in four days, I wonder how much of that is fat.

Residual soreness in my arms, some soreness in my delts. Don't feel it in my back or legs, but I'm pretty sure something's coming down the road.

Drinking a shake now. Fortunately the soy milk actually gives it some flavor so it doesn't taste too much like a fast food shake.

Question: for the WBB #1 routine, no poundages are given. What's a good starting poundage for some of these? I already know my starting bench weight -- just the bar, folks.

Soba

PS. Merry xmas, blah blah blah. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday. Me, I'm just glad I'm 33.

PPS. food so far today:

Meal 1 (tried a different tack to see how things go): protein shake (w/soy milk), a banana and an orange. Glass of OJ.

Meal 2: 1 c. cottage cheese mixed with 2 cans of water-packed tuna, green Tabasco sauce and lime salt.

Meal 3: Trail mix, cup of plain yogurt, banana and a tangerine. (hey, I'm partial to citrus and bananas)

Meal 4: Steak tonight, roasted cauliflower, couscous. (If you've never had roasted cauliflower, it's amazing when all it is is just a broken up head of cauliflower that you pop into an oven at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. I prefer to roast it with about 2 to 3 T. of olive oil. Maybe a sprinkle of kosher salt. That's it.)

Dunno about meal 5 yet. Prob a shake.

Not shown: all the water you can possibly drink and more.

Soba
    Last edited by Focused70; 12-25-2003 at 04:00 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

soba you are a cutie!

i mentioned elsewhere that the 4lbs is probably not fat at all since you would have to be eating 3600 above your maintenance cals in order to do that, and i'm sorry but i jsut don't see that in your food log.

in any case - don't hate on me for the DOMS - you need to learn to love it. let the masochist in you shine.

congrats on starting a journal - here's some
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-26-2003 at 02:05 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Lookin forward to reading this.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

Friday, December 26:

146 today. 5.5 lbs in 5 days -- there had better be SOMETHING under all that water weight.

Today is step #1 of the WBB 1 workout, except that since I did back on Wednesday and my bis haven't fully recovered since Monday (whenever I extend my arms, there's a dull soreness in them), I'm doing chest and tris (also another rec from good old Tryska). So it'll be chest and triceps on Day 1, legs and shoulders on Day 3 (Monday), back and biceps on Day 5 (Wednesday) and abs at random. I think Monday is a good day for punishment, eh? Full disclosure -- I've always LOVED doing ab work. Otoh, my roommate loathes them. So there is light at the end of the tunnel....a strobe light, that is. :evillaugh

This afternoon's workout was pretty good but then again all my workouts seem pretty good cuz I have no benchmark to compare them to. I suppose that'll change down the road. God, I hope so. From what I was doing, it seemed better than Wednesday. I let my trainer know that eventually what I want to do is start lifting heavy. So anyway, here goes (in the order that I did them):

Flat bench dumbell press -- 1x15 @ 10 lbs., 1x18 @ 10 lbs.
    Incline bench dumbell press -- 1x15 @ 10 lbs., 1x18 @ 10 lbs.
    Dips on the gravitron machine -- 2x12, 1x15 (each @ 30% of my bodyweight)
    Tricep machine with buckle -- 1x15 @ 35 lbs., 1x20 @ 35 lbs.
    Tricep pressdowns -- 3x12 @ 20 lbs.
    Hammer Strength chest machine -- 2x10 @ 10 lbs.
    Bench press -- 1x8, 1x6 (just the bar). Could barely do the last three of the second set.

Something tells me that I should begin with the bench press and move on from there in order of decreasing difficulty. A bit of input please.

Food so far today -- will update later:

Meal 1: omelette made of 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs; 2 slices whole wheat toast; glass soy milk; a tangerine.

Meal 2: post-workout shake mixed w/20 oz. of soy milk

Meal 3: 2 mini-tubs of cottage cheese topped with red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and leftover roasted cauliflower

Meal 4: Not yet.

Meal 5: Not yet.

TONS of water. TONS. Before I started working out, water was my favorite drink. Still is, either bottled or tap. I don't drink, not because I don't like alcohol but because I can't metabolize it properly. (Plus, everyone knows that until recently, off-the-shelf American beer sucks anyway. )

Don't forget to carpe diem.

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Pruneman -- thanks for the words of encouragement.

Midee1 -- all you have to remember is that it's just a mind thing. Lose it and they will come (and marvel at you, that is. =P)

Tryska -- let's hope that that holds true for me at 40. heheheh

JeffWC -- sit back and relax. it's going to be a nice roller coaster ride. don't forget to bring me back to reality every once in a while. =P

*waves at the peanut gallery*

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Not bad for a newbie.

Do yourself a favor, and start doing deadlifts. I trained for about a year before starting deadlifts, and that's one of my biggest regrets.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

St. P -- thanks man. Deadlifts are actually on the menu on Monday. =O

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    hi there ,

good luck ! and happy birthday

i saw that you are following wbb1 which has 6-8 reps for most sets. i saw that for many of sets, you are doing reps of 15-20 per set. if you can complete that many reps for a certain weight, you should increase the weight.

Bench press -- 1x8, 1x6 (just the bar). Could barely do the last three of the second set
    that's the right idea

So is the ideal for WBB 1, 6 to 8 reps of your ideal starting off weight? So I should, theoretically, be doing 6 to 8 @ say 20 lbs. instead of the 12 to 15 @ 10 lbs.?

Bench press was only 1x8 and 1x6 because I did those last instead of first. Should note that when I did the Hammer Strength thing, I could barely complete the last few reps of the second set. At one point, I was cursing Elliot to his face. hah.

Thanks, chops.

Soba

PS. Oh yeah, even though the above doesn't show, I warm up for 10 to 15 min. on a bike machine (did level 3 today -- plan is to get to level 10 eventually) and do stretches pre and post workout. Figure if the PT's only there for an hour, he's gonna phucking earn every minute of that hour!!! All I need is someone to show me the ropes and I'm good to go by myself. Still need someone to spot me, but I don't need a trainer for that.
    Last edited by Focused70; 12-26-2003 at 03:28 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    For the record, I started off benching the bar in the summer and a few months later i'm doing about 60 pounds heavier than that, so you will surely move up a lot.

But yeah, on your dumbell presses and other excersizes you should be doing lower rep higher weight. Nice workout though.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

Saturday, December 27:

Ugh, 144.5 this morning.

Hung out with a friend of mine until about 4 am and then trudged home to sleep. Got up around 11:30. *resolves to not let that happen again*

Blah day. Did work around the house. Course, around mid-afternoon my tris and chest feel like crap. Good and sore, but still crap. Ooh, I know what the soreness means and like it, otoh I ****ing love to complain (but you can ignore that part). Sore but crappy.

Meal 1: 4 egg white omelette, glass of soy milk, whole wheat toast, a pear.

Meal 2: a mini-tub of cottage cheese, glass of soy milk.

Meal 3: 3 oz. broiled skinless boneless chicken breast. Couscous. Roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. Apple cider.

Meal 4: My sushi fix: chirashi sushi -- Japanese rice topped with assorted raw fish and seaweed. Hiyyakko tofu -- cubes of silken tofu topped with shaved bonito, minced scallions, pickled ginger. Green tea.

Meal 5: Protein shake w/soy milk before beddie time.

TONS of water all day.

Sleep -- went to bed around 2:30 am, just got up an hour ago. Definitely feel better, plus some of that soreness went away. Still sore, but not so crappy anymore.

----------
    Sunday, December 28:

146.5 this morning. The upward march continues. Translation: Most likely a gain of half a lb. of muscle this past week, but I don't really know for sure.

Will update meals later. Tomorrow is shoulder and leg day. Joy.

Meal 1: PB&J sandwich (whole wheat bread, organic peanut butter (peanuts/salt), strawberry jelly), glass of soy milk, cup of yogurt, a banana.

edit: nonfat yogurt = MUCHO CRAPOLA!!!!

Meal 2: a mini-tub of cottage cheese topped with a can of sardines in tomato sauce. (54 g protein, 6 g carb, 20 g fat)

Meal 3: cup of yogurt, a pear, handful of peanuts.

Meals 4 and 5: not yet.

Soba
    Last edited by Focused70; 12-28-2003 at 03:14 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

imo a weight that you can do for more than 12-15 reps is for maintenance. to gain muscle, when i can get 12 reps at a weight, i will move up the weight. this is what i do though. for someone else, they might decide to move up the weight once they can complete 8 reps and this may work better for them.

for wbb1, the idea is low volume but as heavy as you can. so yes, use a weight heavy enough that you can't do more than 8 per set.

i thought i'd see you slurping a bunch of soba in your diet based on your name, lol.

chops -- just realized it after folks pointed it out above. I have to mention that to my trainer. He's all about building stamina, hence the high reps and low weight. My dilemma -- I need someone to show me what to do and how to do it, but at the same time I'm getting conflicting advice from him. I showed him the routine and he says I could do more, but I don't think he realizes the point of WBB #1. He says I need to build stamina (which is true as well). So...a little help would be appreciated.

A pity that knowledgeable PTs aren't always available.

Soba

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Hey Soba, just stopping in to say hi IMO the best way to build stamina is to do cardio. I find that maintaining good cardiovascular health helps me keep the intensity of my weight training sessions high because i do not fatigue as quickly. BTW i like your journal bro. Keep up the hard work. Diet looks ace.

well i can see the point of doing high reps with low weights in the beginning, since you've never weight-trained before. this helps you concentrate or form. when things start feeling familiar, or they are not challenging anymore tho, drop those reps and up the weights.

and yes - by all means, do the bench first - ideally you want to be able to give fresh horses to your large compound movements (bench, deadlift, squats) and do the rest of the lifts after that.
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-29-2003 at 08:34 AM.

I was 143 just a couple weeks back about the same height. Dont worry about getting fat just eat everything.
    WBB#`is a good workout just stick with it. Follow the sets and reps they recomend.Try to go very close to failure and add weight every workout. You can get big and strong it will just take a lot of time.

i think cardio can be used to build stamina too. is building stamina one of YOUR primary goals though? it doesn't sound like it is, so maybe you and your trainer need to get on the same page.

Monday, December 29:

146.5 this morning. I got home at 3 am from having decided to see RotK again (11:20 showing) so picked up a protein shake from the store instead of making it at home cuz I didn't want to wake my roommate up. That was Meal 5, Meal 4 having been my birthday dinner at a place called Prune in the East Village. Cheated a bit in that I actually had dessert and other stuff I wouldn't be caught dead eating any other time of the year (roasted marrow bones, anyone? )

hah.

Sleep -- woke up at 11:30 am. Too bad there's only 24 hours in a day.

Today was leg and shoulder day. As I was leaving the gym, I felt so worked, but not worked enough that I couldn't walk. Actually feel things burning now so maybe that's a good thing. Told Elliot that eventually I want to get to the point where my legs are screaming so much that I can't go to work much less walk.

What other types of warmup stuff can I do? I've been told not to go on the bike or the treadmill. I did the bike thing for 11 minutes, enough to get my heart rate to 141.

Today's workout:

Overhead press machine -- 3x4 @ 50 lbs., 1x2 @ 65 lbs. (next time will prob start at 40 instead of 50. Could barely do them at 50, needed assistance)

Overhead dumbell presses -- 1x8 @ 20 lbs., 2x4 @ 25 lbs. (these were weird. I felt like I could do them, yet I was struggling with the 25 lb. dumbells. might start with 10 lbs. to warm up and then move on to 20 lbs. next time.)

Squat machine -- 1x6 @ 50 lbs., 2x8 @ 80 lbs.

Smith squat machine -- 1x6 @ 60 lbs., 2x8 @ 80 lbs.

Seated calf raises -- 1x25 @ 20 lbs., 1x25@ 40 lbs., 1x30 @ 40 lbs. I flexed my calves at the top of each raise.

Standing calf raises (using the squat machine) -- 1x30 @ 60 lbs., 2x40 @ 60 lbs. (last 10 of the middle set, my calves were on fire I think I did the last set out of sheer willpower. I've always loved leg exercises more than upper body stuff. Flexed and held my calves for 1 second at the top of each raise.)

Wednesday is back, biceps and abs.

Phuuuuuud:

Meal 1: 4 egg omelette (made of 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites), 2 slices organic whole wheat bread, 1 glass of soy milk, a banana.

Meal 2: Protein shake (w/soy milk and reduced low fat milk -- trying it out even though I know I'll pay for it down the road (I'm lactose intolerant but every so often I like to push the envelope. )

Meal 3: A can of water-packed tuna and TONS of water. A pear to top things off.

Meal 4: Broiled steak, couscous, steamed zucchini. Apple cider. Even more water.

Meal 5: Prob. gonna be a bedtime shake with some PB and a banana for kicks.

MUCHO AGUA of course.

Oh yeah, carpe diem!
    Soba
    Last edited by Focused70; 12-29-2003 at 07:30 PM.

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

as good as roasted marrow sounds - i believe i will be staying away from that and any foray into sweetbread territory until this whole bse thing goes away.

anyway - give Organic Valley lactose free milk a try. I've been using it with success lately.

btw - jealous of you and rotk - caught up on lotr 1&2 this past weekend and i'm ready, but no dinero.
    Last edited by Tryska; 12-29-2003 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SobaAddict70
    What other types of warmup stuff can I do? I've been told not to go on the bike or the treadmill. I did the bike thing for 11 minutes, enough to get my heart rate to 141.
    I think that doing a few minutes on the bike to get your heart rate up and to get the blood flowing to your legs is a fine way to warm up for a leg session. Typically for a warmup i will do whatever exercise i am warming up for using very light weights and do between 12-15 reps (easy).

Your sessions are looking nice and your diet is right on. Only thing i might suggest is buying some dextrose and having a dextrose/protein shake PWO.
    I enjoy reading your journal...keep up the hard work

prune