The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

15% body fat good or bad?

Just used this bizarro machine in the gym. You punch in some data then hold it at full arms length for a few seconds and it gives you a bf%. How in the hell it does it is beyond me! But it told me 15%.

I am not as cut as I was but im still slim enough to see abs when relaxed (just) and easily seen when flexed. Good definition in all other areas. But 15% sounded kinda ... well podgy
    6 ft tall

1st Aug : 172lbs - Seriously cut
    5th dec : 193 lbs - lost definition around waist. Slight loss of mobility in mid section.
    24th feb: 211 lbs - Has anyone seen my abs? I seem to have lost them.
    29th April : 200 lbs and Ive seen sightings of my abs!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

probably not very accurate considering you're description of yourself. 15% is not 'terrible' but neither is it really good.
    Last edited by Manveet; 12-27-2003 at 05:11 PM.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

If you can see your abs when relaxed, it is more likely that you're around 12% or less.

It uses bio-electrical impedance. They used to have one at my old gym. It actually matched the caliper readings within .5% on 2 seperate occasions, so I think they are fairly accurate.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

How accurate are the weight scales that also measure body fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm
    How accurate are the weight scales that also measure body fat?
    I don't think I'd trust those too much.

i just got tested, im at 15% and i can see my top abs barely, but not much definition on my abs what-so-ever. my back and upper body are fairly well defined b/c i tend to hold my fat in my lovehandle and belly zone. at about 10-12% you should be able to see your abs if theyre big enough but still not with precise defintion. sub-10% youll see your abs very well, and obviously even better as you approach the evasive 0%

They are not accurate at ,but can be used as a guage to see if you`re losing fat, by looking at the decrease/increase in percentages.They are affected by fluids in the body,so if you ate or drank a lot before you measured,your BF % will be higher.Best thing to do with a BF% scale, is to hit the bathroom in the AM, and place the scale in the same spot on the floor every time you weigh yourself.At the end of a days eating and drinking, your BF% will be much higher.Go by the mirror anyway,it will tell you if you`re too fat, if you`re honest with yourself.

15% is a lot lower than the average of the population, so i supppose its good. its however higher than athletes in most performance sports, and a lot higher than people in bodybuilding/fitness disciplines.

and yes the machines dont really work very well

Wannabebig Member
    Actually I have large abs. My mid torso is well developed all round actually. So perhaps I am 15% after all and its just the size of the muscles that makes me look less podgy

What bf% would most of you guys stop your bulking and start cutting on?
    6 ft tall

5th dec : 193 lbs - lost definition around waist. Slight loss of mobility in mid section.

Go by how you look not percentages.If you`re getting too sloppy just cut back on food and add cardio.15% isn`t bad if you`re bulking .What are your goals?

Wannabebig Member
    My goals used to be to get to 200lbs and then cut. But im fairly sure i need more bulk. Going from 172 to 200 sounded a lot, but at 196 I dont really feel that much bigger yet. So I was thinking of bulking up to about 210, perhaps 215 then cutting. And ive never cut before so I dont even have a clue how long you should do it for before you run the risk of losing the muscle. Ive bought the ultimate diet book 2, hoping that will give me the pointers I need.

But in the end if I let my vanity do the talking here is the low down:

I still look good naked, but if summer were close Id absolutely 110% be cutting. Im used to being defined in the abs But its winter here in norway and so the only thing you need to look good is arms, chest and shoulders. They still look damned good so im not yet worried about the loss of my abs ... yet!
    6 ft tall

I think you`re doing the right thing.In the winter we are covered up, and it presents a perfect opportunity to add some mass to the body.I find, when I train down for a show, I don`t lose much muscle,as long as I watch myself, and don`t overdo the cardio.When protein is high,and I cycle carbs, I lose mostly fat .It takes me a good 12 weeks to get where I want to be, but the slower you do it, the more chance of holding onto hard earned muscle.
    Last edited by tjwes; 12-28-2003 at 09:16 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Cycle carbs?
    6 ft tall

Yes ,I go 3 days on low carbs followed by 2 slightly higher days.This allows your body to still have enough energy to train,and replenishes glucoe and glycogen levels also.This alternating high and low carb days when cutting also prevents the body from adapting to a set pattern and ceasing fat loss.Of course your diet should be very "clean" when doing this for best results.
    Example:
    Day-1 150 grams
    Day-2 75 grams
    Day-3 50 grams
    Day-4 175 grams
    Day-5 200 grams
    Keep repeating this pattern, modifying it slightly at times, along with a high protein intake,and minimal fats, with plenty of water and cardio .You should be ripped at the end of your diet.
    Last edited by tjwes; 12-28-2003 at 09:23 AM.

Wannabebig New Member

help

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB
    My goals used to be to get to 200lbs and then cut. But im fairly sure i need more bulk. Going from 172 to 200 sounded a lot, but at 196 I dont really feel that much bigger yet. So I was thinking of bulking up to about 210, perhaps 215 then cutting. And ive never cut before so I dont even have a clue how long you should do it for before you run the risk of losing the muscle. Ive bought the ultimate diet book 2, hoping that will give me the pointers I need.

But in the end if I let my vanity do the talking here is the low down:

I still look good naked, but if summer were close Id absolutely 110% be cutting. Im used to being defined in the abs But its winter here in norway and so the only thing you need to look good is arms, chest and shoulders. They still look damned good so im not yet worried about the loss of my abs ... yet!

Wannabebig New Member

help

well I am sort of in the same boat here too.I currently weigh in at 265 and have 20% BF-- i would want to cut that# to 10 without sacraficing too much size.I am looking to cut down some and get ready for summer, which is months away but I was lifting heavy for a while and I need a change.