Thread: more than they can handle

more than they can handle

i was in the gym 2day and i had just finished my flat bench press with 65K on and this guy walks up he was early 20's and he was a much bigger build than me... he spots the weight lays down and attempts to do the same weight as me..

Luckily for this guy i was so shatterd i decided to have a 2 min extra break before i hit the incline... anyhow this dude lifts the weight off the bar and then plumet its on his chest i swiftly nip over and lift the bar off him.. He didnt even say thanks he just kinda looked at me all weird

so i stroled off and did my incline i was really pushing myself today did really well but then this guy came back and had a gym instructor with help to spot him... he carried on with the same weight did 3 reps and the instructor did all of the work for him.. then the guy walked off like rambo....

this annoyed me because i don't like to see people struggling, i dont like to be looked at like S=!t and i'd of been more than happy to have gavce him some advice...

ah well ... has any1 else experienced anything similer ?

Its called ego dude.
    People like that don't like to see guys smaller/younger than them lifting more weight than they can. Thats why they do stuff like that, its also probably why they aren't strong in the first place.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 12-28-2003 at 05:35 AM.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

i admit i walked out the gym laughing cause of his the older dude acted. but in a way i felt bad for not giving him advice and another thing.. the instructor never gave him advice either! lol

but yeh ego definatley... have u experienced anything like that then? some1 trying to do what u do?

It doesn't happen that often any more. Used to happen more when I was younger. Only thing i've noticed is sometimes people try to do the stack on the lat pulldown after i've been on it. I strip all the plates off after bench usually, which avoids stuff like what you describe above.
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

its probably a good thing the instructor didnt give advice. i have yet to see a gym employee who knows anything about weight lifting in general, let alone powerlifting or bodybuilding.

for example, this is one of my favorite conversations i overheard:

gym goer:"i read this magazine that said i should be eating alot of protein."
    trainer:"what for? you only need to diet if you want to lose weight. by just coming here and working out youll get bigger."
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    gym goer:"i read this magazine that said i should be eating alot of protein."
    trainer:"what for? you only need to diet if you want to lose weight. by just coming here and working out youll get bigger."

Holy crap I don't know whether to laugh at the stupidity or shake my head in disappointment.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee