Thread: Workout Routine

Check out my routine

What's up guys? I'm new here. This is my current routine. Just wanted to see what you all think about it. I stack all sets at roughly 12, 8, 4, 2 reps. I have a big issue with time so a lot of weeks I only get to do each of these once a week.

Mon-Thur Chest/Tris/Shoulders
    Chest-
    Flat Bench- 4-5 sets
    Flies- 3 sets
    Machine bench- 3 sets
    Tris-
    close grip bench 3-4 sets
    pushdowns 3-4 sets
    Shoulders-
    Military- 4-5 sets
    upright rows- 4-5 sets

Tues-Fri Back/bis/legs
    Back-
    pulldowns- 4 sets
    rows- 4 sets
    overhead pulls- 3 sets
    Bis-
    barbell curls- 4 sets
    alternating dumbbell curls- 4 sets
    hammer curls- 3 sets
    Legs-
    squat 3-4 sets
    leg press 3-4 sets
    calves 3-4 sets
    Last edited by pokeskickazzz; 12-17-2003 at 11:54 AM.

OK...no offence is intended in this routine...

I'm not a huge fan of working body parts twice a week. Working a body part once a week is good enough as long as you're working out a) smart and b) hard! If it's working for you then disregard the previous statement.

Also, back and legs? Man...that's a hell of a workout. Personally after a leg or back workout, I don't want to go anywhere near a gym for a few days. You might want to split them up into different days and totally work each part.

Also, on your leg days....no hamstring work?

Lastly, you're doing 11 total sets for biceps but you do 12 sets (if you go for your max set range) for legs? Your biceps are nowhere near the size of your legs but you're doing almost the same amount of work....you don't need to do that much work on your arms...they will grow. If you increase your legs size, chances are that will contribute to your arm size more than 12 sets of curls! I'm not saying don't curl or do any arm work but you don't need to do as many sets for biceps for growth. 5-8 total sets should do it (and in some circles that would even be considered too much)

Anyways...just my humble 2 cents!

Laer

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    only thing i would change was to definetly not put back and legs on the same day, due to energy reserves there is no way to fully work these parts effecitively

you can work bodyparts esp. large ones twice a week if you do it right, you cant go heavy each day, heavy one day and medium to light the next workout, alternating

but yeah the only thing i would do is give back and legs there own day
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    o yeah, just food for thought

ive found out the best 4 day routine for me is

mon legs
    tue chest
    wed off
    thur back
    fri arms and shoulders

just another little thought
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

OK I don't want to sound stupid but it's been a few years since I was really into lifting.... When I was researching routines a few years ago it seemed like everyone was advocating doing twice as many sets/reps as I'm doing now and working out twice a day 5-6 days a week.... Now it seems like everyone is advocating much smaller (in sets and reps) workouts... What's the deal with that... Is it all about everyone realizing there needs to be more recover time??? Also, I looked at the WBB routines... those don't even look like they would be enough to make me sore much less give me a workout... Am I missing something? Once again, I probably sound ignorant but I'm just trying to figure out what works best so i don't waste my time. thanks for the input guys.

WBB 1 is a very good workout. Just use a weight that you can barley get your reps for. You will be sore for sure. Try to use more weight everyworkout.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    ive found out the best 4 day routine for me is

mon legs
    tue chest
    wed off
    thur back
    fri arms and shoulders
    Hey, that's my exact routine! Nice. I think it's a very good split, and keeps the same body parts from being reused within 3 days.

Although, I've transitioned from "arms and shoulders" to "shoulders, traps, and lower back" with push presses, standing presses, cleans and presses, deads, etc. Fun stuff.

As for the original poster, you are doing too many sets for chest and arms, not nearly enough for legs, and none for posterior chain!

As for WBB routines being too easy, you're just not using enough weight. Simple as that.

OK another stupid question.... What the hell is "posterior chain"

Couple of answers

"OK I don't want to sound stupid but it's been a few years since I was really into lifting.... When I was researching routines a few years ago it seemed like everyone was advocating doing twice as many sets/reps as I'm doing now and working out twice a day 5-6 days a week.... Now it seems like everyone is advocating much smaller (in sets and reps) workouts... What's the deal with that... Is it all about everyone realizing there needs to be more recover time??? Also, I looked at the WBB routines... those don't even look like they would be enough to make me sore much less give me a workout... Am I missing something? Once again, I probably sound ignorant but I'm just trying to figure out what works best so i don't waste my time. thanks for the input guys."

** In the gym, you stimulate growth by breaking down muscle tissue but you don't actually start growing until you're out of the gym eating and resting. 5-6 days in the gym twice a day is ALOT, and chances are, sooner or later, (and it might not be tommorrow or next week), you're probably going to find that this amount of workload will burn you out which will hinder your gains! Heck...there are pros on gear that don't work out that much. If you can handle the workload right now and you are making gains, then by all means, go for it....just be aware enough of your body to know that if you are getting burned out, to make adjustments to your workouts. Generally speaking, for a good percentage of lifters out there, doing a body part once a week is good enough because it allows you to work the muscle hard then allows you to recover (ie grow) for your next workout. If you don't allow your body enough recovery time between workouts then your gains are gonna suffer!

OK another stupid question.... What the hell is "posterior chain"

** This may not be the most scientific answer but basically it's your 'core'. So your torso (including abs and erectors/lower back), legs, upper middle back...or at least that's how it was explained to me. If anyone has a better explanation please edit!

Later

Wannabebig Member
    Heres a workout you should try;
    Deadlifts x1/2 sets, heavy, x 1 per week
    Military or push press x1/2 sets, heavy,3-5 reps, x 2 per week
    Rows,DB or bar, as above, x 2 per week
    Front squat,x 2/3 sets, as above x 2 per week

Then choose some of these exercises to add:
    Cleans(can be incorporated into presses)
    Over head squats
    Romanian deadlift(be careful)
    Curl and press (bar)

All of these will build a good base of muscle and strength.

Cleans and OH Squats = AWESOME!

Bump on WE5

Try this:
    Legs
    Chest & Biceps
    Off
    Back & Traps
    Delts & Triceps
    Weekends Off
    You`re doing legs ,which is a very demanding bodypart,by themselves.
    Biceps with chest won`t overtax the triceps.
    The day off in the middle lets you recover from the previous two workouts.
    When you hit back the biceps have rested sufficiently ,if you did them with back like most people do you`d overtrain them.
    Triceps and delts should be fresh since the only thing you`ve done thus far is indirectly train them with chest days ago.
    If this isn`t to your liking put chest on the first day followed by legs to rest the delts and bi`s even more.

Wannabebig Member
    I`ve had a think and would like to suggest this weekly routine;
    Anyone who wants to add or change anything feel free.
    This workout could apply to any beginner/re-starter.

Deadlifts Sumo or conv. stance
    This majorly works your posterior chain, lats, thighs, grip, traps and calves.

Rows
    D/B or bar
    I find these and deadlifts compliment each other
    Works most of lats/back, biceps, rear delts, traps,forearms, grip and has a stabilizing effect on your legs.
    Try alternating bar and dbs regularly-I`ve recently done nothing but DBs lately, and have added 25lbs to my bar poundage.

Forget pulldowns, do weighted chins or pull ups, vary your grip regularly.
    Aim to be able to do 8 reps with your bodyweight before adding xtra lbs.
    See above for muscles worked

Military or push press(or both)
    again, alternate DBs and bar , add a clean to get the weight to your chest.
    cleans kick ass....

Squat
    Also, don`t forget front squats and hack squats,do only 1 squatting movement per session tho.

Leg press?Squat and dead instead.

Your biceps get worked majorly in rows and chins,so you don`t really need to worry about curls, but doing curls seated isolates your bi`s more effectively.

so;
    (example week)
    Mon
    Deadlift
    clean + push or Military press (or both)
    Front squat
    row

wed
    C + Push or military press
    row
    dips or bench
    curl and press

fri or sat
    front squat or deads
    Chins/pulls
    Dips or bench

Sideline lifts(add when you feel like them)
    Cleans, 5 pc more than your press
    Overhead squats in place of any other squat
    Any sort of curl when you can be bothered to
    romanian deads

1 set is enough, but if you want to do more, thats fine.But you don`t necessarily need to do 4/5 sets per lift.1-3 is good.
    Aim to hit 5/6 reps per set.

I`ve followed a very similar routine to this since mid nov.I`ve added;
    25lbs to my Deads
    15lbs to db rows/25 to bar
    15lbs to press
    25lbs to cleans(for 1 rep)
    5lbs to my chins
    I do x1 set each, 5 reps max.

Wes.

Thanks for the input guys.... Okay I totally take back anything I said about the WBB#1 routine not being enough. I'm in the second week of trying it and I already feel like it's done more for my strength than the last 2 months doing my old routine. I never really did deadlifts before and those are definitely going to help out.

Wine,Wenches and Wheels warreport's Avatar
    im a pretty advanced trainer and im looking to modify my routine\split a bit. I like the split corey proposed, 1 question though. how many working sets should i do per bodypart. I usually do about 12 sets for legs back chest 6 for bi tri delt. Is this enough volume? Also what is the best rep range for hypertrophy? For those who train once a week, do you make good progress, Ive seen a lot of people advocating more hst style increased loading frequency? thanks alot

Wine,Wenches and Wheels warreport's Avatar
    just to clarify i meant train each bodypart once per week,