The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Big legs

Hybrid View

Big legs

I weight 132 pounds and my upper body has been developing very well and gaining mass, but my legs which are the body part I wish to change the most are not really doing much. I have what you would call chicken legs. What the best way to get bigger legs? and have many times should I workout my legs in a week?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think the key singal movement that would overall help out your whole body is the squat, and then throw in a couple leg extensions and some Deadlifts.

Squat and eat more.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Squat and eat more.

nuff said

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Squat Squat and Squats some more, and when you think you have done enough do one more set.

not only will they help your legs but they will help make your upperbody grow also
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I have scrawny legs too, but now had them described as "almost hunky" by a chick friend lol which is good news

Try cycling only using the highest gear (for everything, even hills/accelerating) i mean i find that worked, but ive been doing that for 3+ years

And lying leg-curls are giving me good results, as well as the quad-chair thing

Its just my calves are still skinny (i think theres nothing the average dude can do about that)

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyrulez
    I have scrawny legs too, but now had them described as "almost hunky" by a chick friend lol which is good news

Try cycling only using the highest gear (for everything, even hills/accelerating) i mean i find that worked, but ive been doing that for 3+ years

And lying leg-curls are giving me good results, as well as the quad-chair thing

Its just my calves are still skinny (i think theres nothing the average dude can do about that)
    suqtas will kill scrwny leg syndrome, cycling will made them muscualr and strong but they will still be small but squatting makes them grow.

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

Squat and eat more.
    WAit, that's been said.

I like my thick ass legs, I get compliments.
    More like "Holy sh1t your calves are huge!"

Play soccer as well, the sprinting gave me thick legs.
    But squatting is more fun, because you'l definately NOT be able to walk properly after.

"Its just my calves are still skinny (i think theres nothing the average dude can do about that)"

Calve raises.......

Wannabebig Member
    someone said that squatting makes the upper body bigger 2 ? how does the lower body effect the uipper body?
    The Streets is military, You Got to Be A Soldier
    Gotta stay Leery,and Keep Your Eyes on The Rollers

Full of himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartless
    someone said that squatting makes the upper body bigger 2 ? how does the lower body effect the uipper body?

Heartless,

Basically the body likes to grow as a whole. So working the lower HALF of your body will encourage growth in the other half. Others can offer a much more detailed explanation if that's what you were looking for.

Edit: Squats are also a good compound movement, so incorporating them, places stress on other muscles that are recruited in the movement.

DS
    Last edited by DarkSmurf; 12-30-2003 at 03:51 PM.

Although true, it's really an overrated principle. Don't think too much into it.

Wannabebig Member
    Don`t big compound moves produce more growth hormone or something?
    This then has to have an effect on all the other muscles too? something like that anyway.

And can you really call squats a lower body movement? Surely they work a lot more than just your legs?Thats like calling bench press a chest exercise.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by We5
    Don`t big compound moves produce more growth hormone or something?
    This then has to have an effect on all the other muscles too? something like that anyway.

And can you really call squats a lower body movement? Surely they work a lot more than just your legs?Thats like calling bench press a chest exercise.
    Sort of, but think about what muscle each exercise is targeting ,as for squats the main focus is is quads then hip flexors hams and lower back get pulled in for stabilizing the body. The good thing about these "compound" exercises is that instead of jsut making the quads big like leg extensions it will help the strength of all supporting muscles and tendons so that when you do deadlifts you dont slip a disk or tear your ham from trying to lift 495

when ever you workout, when your done and your body starts repairing the muscles your body releases growth hormones. and when you squat you are working 65 percent of the muscles in your body at a high level. so the level of growth hormone released is huge and can contribute to upperbody growth.

now will doing squats alone give you a 60 inch chest and 20 inch biceps? no, but squatting in correlation to workout the upperbody produces the best results.

Wannabebig New Member
    super heavy squats and super heavy sled, to change it up super heavy hack squats

Did anyone suggest squats? No? OK then, squat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Squats are not the end to all exercises. They are certainly a useful exercise for many, but there are plenty of situations where other alternatives may be superior for leg hypertrophy. For example, millions of Americans suffer from back problems or a weak lower back. If your lower back is limiting your squat, then the leg press or other alternatives that place less emphasis on the lower back may be more effective for buiding the quads+glutes. Similarly other isolation type exercises may also be better for building specific body parts, such as the hamstrings or calves, than only squatting. I do not feel safe doing heavy parallel squats in my gym because there are no racks. If any condition is preventing you from squatting effectively, then other alternitives may be superior.

A few posts in this thread imply that squats are effective for building size in the upper body due to GH release. I disagree. Several studies of injected GH suggest that it offers little benefit to protein synthesis, with the exception of connective tissue. I have linked some examples below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

When doing resistance training, the GH increases are much lower than those used in such studies, and resistance training GH increases only last for a short period after the workout. The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract suggests that the resistance training GH increases are not even high enough to significantly increase circulating IGF-1 levels. Note that muscle growth is related to IGF-1 produced in the local muscle, not circulating IGF-1 which increases with higher-dose injected GH.

You can increase the size of your leg muscles by doing squats, and you can also increase their size by doing leg presses, sled hack squats, leg curls, SLDLs, calf raises, and many other exercises that work various muscles in the legs. Note that hypertrophy is more than just exercise choice. Hypertrophy involves progressive load (myofibrillar) and/or metabolic stress (sarcoplasmic). It is also important to supply sufficient calories, nutrients, and enviromental conditions for growth.
    Last edited by aka23; 12-31-2003 at 03:12 PM.

bone crusher
    well said aka, and i hate to water it down but the take home message of everything that he said is this, what ever leg exercises you choose, make sure that they work the whole leg and you must work with intensity and dedication unlike anything you have attempted before. You must move the maximum weight you can within your desired rep regimen. squats happen to work the whole leg, but one must be wary of the lower back becoming limiting instead of quad/glute/ham strength as mentioned.

one of the most important things (and this cannot be understated) is to eat in a manner that is consistant with your goals. If you want big legs you are going to have to eat big. It takes a lot of nutrients to grow muscle, and if you are not growing, the #1 thing to check is your dietary composition and calorie intake
    Last edited by the doc; 12-31-2003 at 03:35 PM.

I'm with Doc. Squats are great, but Leg Press and heavy Lunges can add some good mass to the wheels as well.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

i consider lunges as a one leg squat,

lots of guys think lunges are for women, load up the bar and put in some work ding them and you be crying like a girl

Full of himself.
    Grab some 100lb db's and go for a little walking lunge excursion. Some people may look at you funny, but that's b/c they've never felt pain before.

DS