The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

board press for raw bencher

Hi, I wanted to know if doing low board presses was a useful exercise for a raw bencher. I know that board presses are supposed to be good for shirt benchers.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Neollagnailati
    I imagine it would be, especially if triceps are your week point, though I've actually never done them.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yes, I would focus mostly on low boards though(1 and 2).
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Neollagnailati
    Would doing close grip bench with more boards be effective for lockout work?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    i do them with about a medium to a close grip with no more than 2 boards and they have given me alot of locking out power and tricep size and strength.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Why not do more than 2 boards raw?

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    its more of a knack feeling for me than anything, anything above two boards i dont feel as if im getting enough work, plus i dont have a suit and i need alll the extra tricep poer i can get, i figured it woul be better to work it through a full range of motion.

ive actually maxed out at 375 last year on the board press, and my triceps were tremendously strong and big and powerful.

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

Well, I start board presses on Tuesday and I'll be doing them raw. I'll eventually work up to 5 boards ... I'm going to stick to my plan and see what happens. If I feel the lower boards are better for raw training, I will revise my next program. Or get a shirt.

I think that 2 and 3 boards are awesome for unassisted benching. It's right at that 1/3 of the way up point that the weight seems to stall for a lot of benchers. I also think that occasionaly using a 4 or 5 board is good because it will allow you to use weight that is above your max and it will allow to to become used to handling heavier poundages.
    Last edited by Seanzilla; 01-04-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    what kind of "shirt" are u guys referring to
    The Streets is military, You Got to Be A Soldier
    Gotta stay Leery,and Keep Your Eyes on The Rollers

its called a bench shirt.

its a very tight polyester i believe shirt it keeps the muscles in the chest and shoulder extremly tight and helps the lifter with the initial push off the chest.

people who dont use them say its cheating and those who do use them say they actually provide no help but its a matter of choice

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Big Corey- that is a very ignorant statement. Know what you are talking about before you decide to give out info.

A bench shirt can be made of different materials, the most common are poly and denim. Like Corey said, the support the pecs and shoulders and do help with the push off the chest. When you know what you are doing you can get a lot out of a good shirt. It isn't magic, but anyone who says you don't get anything from them is either stupid or stupid.

That being said, I only use one because I compete in powerlifting. I would advise those who don't compete to save their money. The only reason I would use one if I didn't compete would be a loose/cheap one to maybe save some wear on the shoulders, but not look for a ton of assistance from it.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

whats ignorant about my statement?

i said that from my own experience, ive talked to numerous people aout them and asked questions about them.

the conclusion that i have came to is that powerlifters who use them see them as a neccessary piece of equipment, while those who may not compete see the shirt as a way to cheat your way to a bigger bench. i really dont see anything ignorant about the statement. im not bashing those who use them.

i mean if i competed i would definetly have to use one just to stay with the competition, but that doesnt change my point of view of thinking that they are a form of cheating your way to a bigger bench. its just my oppinion, and you said yourself that they help out with the initial push off the chest.

so there is nothing ignorant about what i said. its an oppinion that you may not neccessarily agree with, but not an ignorant statement

Wannabebig Member
    Bench shirts are kinda cool to mess around with though

I went from 320lb raw to 350lb with the shirt the first time I put it on. Almost got 355lb too.

Once a lifter is pressing either
    #1 Double bodyweight or more
    #2 500 pounds or more
    they are putting a great deal of stress on their shoulder joints and they are running the risk of a pec tear (expecially if they let their elbows flare out).
    The bench shirt is designed to protect the chest muscles and the shoulder joints. As a side effect, the bench shirt adds pounds to a lifter's benchpress. Bench shirts are made out of either polyester or denim material. The shirts can be single or double ply garmets. The shirts can also be regular or radical cut (radical is when the sleeves are more out in front of the body). Most lifters will get roughly 10%-20% out of their shirts after training in it for some time. For example, a 400 pound bencher will be hitting around 440-480 in their shirt. This is due to the pop that you get off of the chest. The bench shirt does not help a lifter in the top 1/2 of the press, so it is all muscle and connective tissue doing the work at that point.

Bench shirts can also be open back, partial open back (closed collar), and open or partial open back with velcro straps pulling the back of the shirt together.

Generally speaking, a denim shirt will give more support than a regular poly shirt. A thick poly shirt, like an Inzer Phenom and an Inzer Annihilator, will give more support than a regular poly. A double ply shirt will give more support than a single ply shirt and a double ply shirt will also be less likely to blow out under heavy weight. Having a bench shirt blow out will throw you off balance and will put your muscles/joints at risk due to the weight probably falling to your chest.

The lower that the collar is on the lifter, the more spring they will get out of their bench shirt. That's why lifters putting up crazy amounts of weight often prefer the open back (they can pull the collar down) or newer scoop neck styles of shirts.

I regularly see lifters getting between 30-40 pounds out of their shirts after training in them for awhile. I've seen a few lifters get around a hundred pounds and, in some of the looser ruled competitions, I've seen more than a 100 pounds out of a shirt. This is rare and those kinds of gains are usually for the lifters pressing in the 600's and above.

In my opinion, the two greatest heavyweight benchers of all time are Scot Mendelson and Ryan Kennelly. Without a bench shirt, I've seen Scot Mendelson benchpress 713 pounds in competition and I've seen Ryan Kennelly work 3-6 rep sets with 600 pounds in the gym. Kennelly was the first bencher to officially benchpress 800 pounds and he has benchpressed 700+ pounds 29 times officially in competition. Mendelson has benchpressed 700+ multiple times in competition (can't remember how many, but around 10 or so) and he's also benchpressed 800+ 3 times in competiiton.
    Last edited by Seanzilla; 01-06-2004 at 03:59 AM.

Big Corey, I think the reason why Latman found your statement ignorant (as did I) is because you make blanket statements about what other people think. I don't use a bench shirt, but I don't think it's cheating. And I have yet to speak with a powerlifter who says it doesn't help their lift.

i meant no harm i just provided info as to what they are and the views of many people about those types of things.

im like you personally i dont use one, but i consider it a method of cheating your way 40 or 50 more pounds on the bench. but i know for people to even compete at such a high level you need an edge, and this is what allows them to do this.

and the thing that ive heard about them from some powerlifters actually say that the shirts dont help that much which i thought was a crook of ****, but then some guys were honest and said yes they do help.

personally i believe the only thing they should allow in PW comps is belts and knee wraps. but that my lone oppinion and prob wont be seeing that any time soon, but i have started to see a few RAW power lifting comps around here and there so maybe there is hope...lol

but i do know that the day that i want to begin competeing in powerlifting i will definetly have to go and get myself a bench shirt, power suit, and proper belt. Because i know this is the equipment i will need to help me compete at a high level. entering a big time powerlifitng comp like that with you your gear is like me going out into a football game with no helmets and shoulder pads.

anyways those were just my views, agree if you want. but since these are my views it makes them the right ones....lol j/k