The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is this a good example of HIIT?

Right now im starting to do HIIT and i want to know if this is right

1-walk quarter mile(3-4mph)
    2-sprint quarter mile(8-9mph)
    3-repeat for 3 miles

is this a good way to do HIIT and if not can you give me an example of a good system

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd say only walk 1/4 mile in between sprints. Read the HIIT sticky at the top of the forum.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

A quarter mile is too long. 200m (1/8 of a mile) is the farthest I would sprint. Our best mile runner (one of the top 3 or so in the state) couldn't sprint a whole 1/4 mile, which makes me doubt that many people here (being much bigger and aiming for muscle more than cardio ability) could possibly do 1/4 mile repeats.

I agree a quarter mile is too long. I take it you are sprinting outdoors? If so make sure you give it 100% on those sprints because you really have no way to gauge intensity since you aren't using any machines. Also make sure you warmup well before the sprints! HIIT and especially HIIT with sprints can cause injury if you don't warmup well, goodluck.

Also I would not walk, this is just personal preference but I would do.

1. Slow 1/4 or 1/2 mile slow jog as a warmup
    2. 1/8 mile sprint, 1/8 mile slow jog
    3. repeat #2 a few times
    4. Slow 1/4 or 1/2 mile slow jog as a cooldown
    Last edited by Dedicated; 01-05-2004 at 06:49 PM.

a 200m full out sprint is hard enough, but to do that repeatedly is just crazy imo.

I would go by time in seconds rather than distance. I would do a full out sprint for about 10-15s and then slow jog for 25-30s to recover.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    a 200m full out sprint is hard enough, but to do that repeatedly is just crazy imo.

I would go by time in seconds rather than distance. I would do a full out sprint for about 10-15s and then slow jog for 25-30s to recover.
    Exactly. Distance covered is not the way to do HIIT it's time intervals and the intensity during those intervals. I personally do 30/30 myself and I have done 60/60.

If you're doing it on a track, I would just sprint the straights, jog/walk the turns and rep it 8 times (for a total of 4 laps or 1 mile)

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220