Thread: Running?

Wannabebig Member

Running?

Hi everyone, I just started weight lifting seriously about 4 monthes ago and have made some serious strength gains and fat loss going from 210 lbs to 165lbs and from 30% fat to 15%. Before weight lifting I had already been running a little. After starting weights I started running seriously, doing at least 21 miles a week or more ( I would run three times a week 7+ miles a run)
    Then I heard that running eats away muscle (duh should have figured this) so now I am only doing 40 minutes of running which is 5 miles for me. If I only run 40 minutes I wont eat away my muscle will I. I had heard anything over 40 minutes does that. I really love to run but I want a ripped physique more. If I can have both that would be great. So I guess my question is can I run and lift weights and expect to make muscle size gains? Thanks in advance.

Nick

You can, but you will have to sacrafice one or the other a little. If you want more size you'll have to cut back on the running a little and eat more. If you like running more you have to accept that your size gains will be harder to come by.

If I were to suggest a happy medium it would be to run 20min 3x a week and get a 3day lifting split going. Last thing, get your diet in check so you can support all this work and still grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman
    You can, but you will have to sacrafice one or the other a little. If you want more size you'll have to cut back on the running a little and eat more. If you like running more you have to accept that your size gains will be harder to come by.

If I were to suggest a happy medium it would be to run 20min 3x a week and get a 3day lifting split going. Last thing, get your diet in check so you can support all this work and still grow.
    I think as long as your diet is in check, you will continue to grow. 20min 3x a week sounds perfect, or you could give HIIT a try.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl
    I think as long as your diet is in check, you will continue to grow. 20min 3x a week sounds perfect, or you could give HIIT a try.

Ok Thanks for the advice guys, I have a few questions first what is HIIT and where can I find more info about it. And could you give me some examples of a good diet because I dont know what you mean by "as long as your diet is in check". I take protien powder and creatine and try to eat as few processed carbs as possible. I also try to eat balanced meals and most of the time Ill eat protien/meal replacment bars. I was just hoping 40 mins would be just right because 20 mins is like nothing in terms of distance running, I always seemed to hear you could do 40 minutes of non stop cardio with out losing muscle. Anyway thanks again.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoy
    Ok Thanks for the advice guys, I have a few questions first what is HIIT and where can I find more info about it. And could you give me some examples of a good diet because I dont know what you mean by "as long as your diet is in check". I take protien powder and creatine and try to eat as few processed carbs as possible. I also try to eat balanced meals and most of the time Ill eat protien/meal replacment bars. I was just hoping 40 mins would be just right because 20 mins is like nothing in terms of distance running, I always seemed to hear you could do 40 minutes of non stop cardio with out losing muscle. Anyway thanks again.
    Run a search if you're unsure about how to diet and such. It has been covered about 9.1 billion times.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok mabey I'm stupid but I still dont understand what HIIT training is. Mabey you could give me a few examples.......
    Is it turning the treadmill up as high as it can go for 6 seconds then resting for 9? and keep doing that for like 15 mins?
    Also if that is correct I assume you can just sprint outside instead of a treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoy
    Ok mabey I'm stupid but I still dont understand what HIIT training is. Mabey you could give me a few examples.......
    Is it turning the treadmill up as high as it can go for 6 seconds then resting for 9? and keep doing that for like 15 mins?
    Also if that is correct I assume you can just sprint outside instead of a treadmill.
    The 6 seconds and 9 seconds was simply a ratio considered optimal. It's really quite insignifigant in the training.
    In a nutshell you're just doing sprints, only keeping a jog going in between them. You start with a 5 or 10 minute warmup jog. You then do a sprint (a full hearted, absoloute 100% sprint!), you then slow it to a jog until you feel recovered enough to to do another sprint. Most peoples sessions consist of somewhere around 10 sprints.

If you're truly sprinting as hard as you should be, you'll probably be lucky to go more than 10 seconds.

One more thing: I've done HIIT and personally find it extreamly superior to any other cardio whilst cutting. It didn't appear to catabolize any of my muscle and when I added it fat loss had a major jump up.

ONE more thing: It doesn't need to be done on a treadmill. Anything that you can give your max effort in. Treadmill, spin bike, or just regular running... whatever works.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-02-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Run Forrest run!
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonl

I'm not sure if it has been covered in this thread yet, but HITT is your best bet. As a former college athlete, sprints/rest work better than anything.