The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas

A$$ to Floor and Front Squats

This off season im adding a few more styles of squats to my routine. ATF and Front Squats are two that i am adding. I want to be able to do them with a failry close stance, like shoulder width or maybe even just inside. right now ,due to body mechanics i believe, it is sorta akward for me to squat that low with that style and not lose balance. but if i elevate my heels a bit on some small weight plates that helps ou alot. but ive heard that it isnt a good idea to squat with elevated heels, so what should i do, try to do them with elevtaed heals on small weigth plates or just keep practicing them flat footed until i can do them ass to floor with a close stance and not feel akward and lose my balance?
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Using the plates would be just fine.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah I have a bad habit of raising my heels on squats as well. I've been trying to break it for a while now, without much luck. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and I used to walk on my toes.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    hmmm ok

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    Yeah I have a bad habit of raising my heels on squats as well. I've been trying to break it for a while now, without much luck. I think it goes back to when I was a kid and I used to walk on my toes.
    If you are raising the heels (and I am assuming that your overall form is good- not leaning too far forward, etc) then a lot of times it is due to hip/hamstring flexiblity problems. Try stretching for just a little bit before you squat (making sure to hit the hip flexors and hamstrings) after you have warmed up. Then I work on increasing my ROM doing more stretching on off-leg days.

That has not only helped out my squat, but also my lower back tightness as well. You don't have to get into super flexiblity routines, just some maintenance work. See if that helps any.

Well...........good thing this thread came about......

I thought you were supposed to squat with heels raised......
    Time for me to do more research.

Then again my knees have problems, but I'm going to see the physio docter soon.

I learned early on that raised heels are bad news- why I cant exactly remember. Knee problems? My issues come from not going deep enough- I find at the lowest point im thrusting my hips back and then coming up a little crooked from the waist... pausing at the lowest point with low weights and alot of stretching has helped some, too... so why do the old timers thump into our heads not to use plates under the heels? Besides looking like your wearing high heels to squat in, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by medevac
    If you are raising the heels (and I am assuming that your overall form is good- not leaning too far forward, etc) then a lot of times it is due to hip/hamstring flexiblity problems. Try stretching for just a little bit before you squat (making sure to hit the hip flexors and hamstrings) after you have warmed up. Then I work on increasing my ROM doing more stretching on off-leg days.

That has not only helped out my squat, but also my lower back tightness as well. You don't have to get into super flexiblity routines, just some maintenance work. See if that helps any.
    You're probably right. I'm very inflexible in my legs. I always have been. I have short tendons, so I can barely touch my toes.

Other than the raised heels, my form and ROM are good.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 01-03-2004 at 07:11 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Why not start doing some box squats to get the feel for sitting back into the squat?
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

i already do box squats but i use my normal stance, but i guess i can give them a try with a close stance.

In general, squatting with your heels raised isn't such a hot idea. You'll be better served by fixing your flexibility issues.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.