The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA Trade - Marbury to Knicks

I love Zeke. He's a much better GM than coach and this trade proves it:

From ESPN:

The Knicks and Suns finalized a blockbuster trade Monday that will return Stephon Marbury to his hometown.

The Knicks acquire Marbury and Penny Hardaway from Phoenix for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, the rights to Milos Vujanic, two first-round draft picks, and cash, ESPN.com has learned.

The trade still requires NBA approval. The Suns will get the Knicks' first-round pick this year and a future conditional first-round pick.

The trade will be the fifth of Marbury's career. The Brooklyn native was drafted by Milwaukee and immediately traded to Minnesota, where he subsequently forced a trade to New Jersey.

The Nets traded him to Phoenix for Jason Kidd, and he now could be headed to the Knicks in the first major move made by new team president Isiah Thomas.

The trade is a major shakeup of both teams. Phoenix, in exchange for its best player, would be gaining salary cap flexibility that would allow the Suns to rebuild a team that was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season after missing the postseason a year earlier.

The contracts of McDyess and Ward expire at the end of this season, and Ward has a buyout clause that can be exercised before Jan. 10.

Eisley is under contract for three more seasons; Vujanic, the starting point guard on the Yugoslavian team that won the 2002 World Championships, is playing in Europe.
    Last edited by HobbesAB; 01-05-2004 at 09:42 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    The only problem is is that zeke will be stuck with this team for a long time.

I love Penny, but he aint worth the money anymore.

Go Celtics.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

ay patrick- who the hell is lookin out for starbury's career? not his agent.. the man had somethin with that terrible trio in PHOENIX, and they were just startin to build a playoff caliber team- check that, their suddenly now in a "rebuilding"phase. 8 million aint gonna sign KOBE, stop dreamin and get your head out of your ass, Jerry Colangelo
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Is the title of this thread really "NBA eastern conf just got a bit more interesting"? Are you serious? There is nothing interesting about the eastern conference, least of Marbury. The Knicks are a 3rd rate team and Marbury is an ovarrated point guard at best. This trade doesn't make anything interesting. Count the number of East teams with +.500 records. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by JTyrell710
    8 million aint gonna sign KOBE, stop dreamin and get your head out of your ass, Jerry Colangelo
    From ESPN:

Of all the players the Suns are getting, only Eisley and Lampe will be on the books next season. McDyess and Ward are vehicles by which the Suns can slash a $66 million payroll this season and turn it into roughly $10 million in cap room next year.

How? McDyess' $13.5 million, Ward's $6 million (the Suns will buy out Ward this week, saving another $3.6 million) and Tom Gugliotta's $11.7 million all come off the books at the end of the season. Add in the $6.4 million Eisley is slated to make next season and the Suns are looking at around $36 million in guaranteed salaries next season. Add in cap holds for the two first-round draft picks they own, and that number swells to $39 million. Sources in Phoenix claim, however, the Suns are probably not done dealing. The team will try to move a pick or two along with a salary to get closer to that $35 million number.

If the cap comes in at around $45 million next year, and the Suns are $10 million under, the Suns are suddenly right in the middle of the hunt to land Kobe.

And at first glance, they'd have to be the odds-on favorites. Kobe has been hinting that he wants out of L.A., but before today's trade, his best option appeared to be the Clippers. While the Clippers aren't a bad option for him if Donald Sterling is willing to pay, the Suns would be better. Combined with Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, along with young players like Joe Johnson, Zarko Carbarkapa, Lampe and Milos Vujanic, the Suns would have as formidable of a team as any in the league. Phoenix has always been a premier free-agent destination because of the weather and the way the Colangelos run a first-class organization. Having Italian coach Mike D'Antoni couldn't hurt things either.

Yes, Kobe would have to take a decent pay cut to play in Phoenix. He's due $14.6 million next year in Los Angeles, and the Suns would probably be able to offer him only around $10 million. But for Kobe, the change of scenery, and the chance to win a championship without Shaq, may be worth the salary hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Fever
    Is the title of this thread really "NBA eastern conf just got a bit more interesting"? Are you serious? There is nothing interesting about the eastern conference, least of Marbury. The Knicks are a 3rd rate team and Marbury is an ovarrated point guard at best. This trade doesn't make anything interesting. Count the number of East teams with +.500 records. I rest my case.
    Oh yeah I forgot. Every team in the NBA sucks except for the Kings

All I can say, is **** Kobe. What have the Lakers done with him but without Shaq?

Who said anything about the Kings?

Look, the teams in the East suck. You can't deny it, even if you are a Pacers fan or a Nets fan at the moment. This has nothing to do with who I like. The teams from the East come out west and get their asses absolutely handed to them. (see the Pacers semi-recent Western trip)

And I sit back, once again realizing I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenronm
    The only problem is is that zeke will be stuck with this team for a long time.

I love Penny, but he aint worth the money anymore.
    Better this team than the one he had. Its also better than any that Layden has put together recently. Marbury, Houston, Van Horn, Thomas, and Mutumbo is a good starting 5 in the East. Bringing Penny, Harrington, and Williams off the bench gives them decent depth (again because the team is in the East).

I have a feeling Zeke isn't done dealing just yet.

Look, the teams in the East suck. You can't deny it, even if you are a Pacers fan or a Nets fan at the moment. This has nothing to do with who I like. The teams from the East come out west and get their asses absolutely handed to them. (see the Pacers semi-recent Western trip)

No denying that the Western conference is better than the East. I didn't say that it was - I just said that the Eastern conference got more interesting. Whether you like Marbury or not, he will elevate the Knicks into the playoffs and they will be in the hunt. How will they do against the West? Depends on who they play but they won't win. Nobody in the East will win. However, Marbury can carry this team a long way just like he did Phoenix. Yes, Stoudemire and Marion are better than anyone the knicks have, but so is Marbury. This is why the trade works for NY. The Knicks have become relevant again in the East and in one of the largest markets in the NBA.

The Knicks aren't relevant in the East. Tey have Allen Houston and Dikembe "shake my finger but have nothing to show for my antics" Mutombo, but what else? They'll be no better off than Phoenix. Now granted a team of Phoenix' caliber would be great in the East, but seriously, the East?

Totally, dude!
    The Knicks are like N*Sync--5 guys who suck!
    Last edited by DoubleGulp; 01-06-2004 at 07:39 AM.

Man, you guys need to gain some objectivity and realize that I am talking about the Eastern Conference. This conference is important for one reason - someone here has to play the Western Conf champs. Will the Eastern team win? Probably not but there have been bigger upsets before in sports. I'll be happy if any team from here makes it a competitive series.

Knicks won't contend in the East? Who's significantly better or even more importantly, who's playing so well in the East that they will roll over the Knicks? As long as Marbury doesn't fall back into his old habits - which I don't think he will with Zeke looking over his shoulder - then they will be competing in May.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    The raptors that who!
    *crosses fingers*
    w00t

Raptors are 5-0 at home against the western conference.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Saturday Fever wrote:

"The Knicks are a 3rd rate team and Marbury is an ovarrated point guard at best"

Well, I'm not going to comment on what kind of team the Knicks are just yet because they have not played a game with this new team, but I completely disagree with the statement about Marbury. He's one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA.

Banned
    As well, there's no doubt that the East is much weaker than the West, but like Hobbes said, someone from the East is going to be playing someoen from the West for the NBA championship, and now many people think that the Knicks could slip in there.

Top 5?

I'd say he was top 5 if AT LEAST the following guys all died right now:

Payton, Kidd, Bibby, Nash, Cassell, James

Banned
    Out of the 5 you listed I'd have to say that only Kidd is better. James is already amazing, and has a gigantic potential upside, but he is CLEARLY not better. For a quasi PG his turnover numbers per game aren't very good, he scores less, he doesn't always bring the ball up, averages less assists, etc.

Bibby, doesn't play more than 35 minutes a games, is not as strong, scores less, etc.

Payton his passed his prime, so it's hard to tell, but for the fact that he's Gary Payton I'd have him on my top 5.

Cassell and Nash are both good, but Nash isn't having the best season (if it was last year...) and Cassell's numbers are lower than Starbury in both points and assists.

OK, so let's clear this up. Which team did Marbury play for that fared better than Bibby's Kings? Payton's Seattle? Kidd's Phoenix AND New Jersey? Nash's Mavericks? Cassell's Bucks and currently Wolves?

Granted James is on the Cavs and they are a horrible team, but they will have Kobe soon.

Banned
    That's the lamest barometer ever.

Cassell was never the go to guy on any team, either is Bibby or Nash. Starbury is and has been, yet despite being the best scorer he still manages to be top 2 in assists. I agreed with you on Kidd being better and Payton is Payton, but he is passed his prime.

Bibby is one minor part of the Kings, behind Peja, Brad Miller, Webber, etc. Nash has Dirk, Finley, Jamison, Walker, etc.

Marbury is good. But a player on a team isn't, or at least shouldn't be, judged on his individual stats. If you're not putting wins in the win column, you're overrated. Even LeBron has put wins up for the Cavs, and that's the Cavs.

I think the eastern conf will always be a lil behind the west. A trade like moving Penny to NY won't give the knicks much. Penny isn't what he was back in the days when he played in Orlando. Remember Penny and Shaq losing out to the Rockets in the finals 9 years ago?

I can very well see Kobe leave lala land for an adventure in the desert. I think he'd definately accept the paycut, the dude has a 3 figure bank account in the millions already.
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

Yup. The West is consistently stronger than the East almost every year. It's been like that for years. It seems like there are always 1 or 2 strong teams in the East and the rest just suck.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal