The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On My Way...

Please help me see a mass building routine

Hi everyone, please help me take a look at my mass gaining plan and see how is it.

Monday: Chest & Upper Back
    Wednesday: Legs & Lower Back
    Friday: Delts, Triceps and Biceps

Monday:

1) Flat Barbell Bench Press: 15 (Warm Up), 10, 2 x 6-8
    2) Flat Flyes: 10, 2 x 8
    3) Weighted Bar Dips: 2 Sets to Failure (10 Reps at least)
    4) Pec Decks: 2 x 8
    5) Push Ups: 1 Set to failure (form of stretching)

Overall Sets for Chest: 11

1) Wide Grip Pulldowns OR Chins: 8, 6, 6 OR 2 Sets to Failure
    2) Close Grip Pull Ups: 2 Sets to Failure
    3) Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 10, 2 x 8

Overall Sets for Upper Back: 7-8

Wednesday:

1) Squat: 15 (Warm Up), 12, 10, 8, 6
    2) Deadlift OR SLDL: 12, 2 x 8
    3) Leg Press: 12, 10
    4) Hyper Extensions: 2 x 10
    5) Calf Raises: 2 x 15

Overall Sets for Legs & Lower Back: 13

Friday:

1) Seated Dumbell Presses/Flyes: 10, 2 x 6-8
    2) Side Lateral Raises: 2 x 6-8
    3) Upright Rows: 2 x 8
    4) Shrugs: 2 x 15
    5) Skull Crushers: 10, 8, 6
    6) Close Grip Bench Press: 10, 2 x 6-8
    7) Pressdowns (optional): 1 x 10
    7) Barbell Curls: 10, 8, 6
    8) Preacher Curls: 8, 6, 6
    9) Hammer Curls: 10
    10) Wrist Curls: 2 x 12

Overall Sets for Delts and Arms: 24

What do you think? Am I over training it? I will also train Abs 2-3 times weekly doing good ol weighted crunches and leg raises. Please correct any flaws!
    Hey there

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ya; you are overtraining. You are doing the most sets on your smallest muscle groups compared to largest.

24 sets in a day will keep you in the gym for hours.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I would also add three sets of 1ml of Synthol injections a week.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

On My Way...
    Wow those are some fast replies!

Hmmm, can you give me some modifications please? I'm kinda stuck
    Hey there

How old are you?

How long have you been lifting?

Stats?

Any considerations with respect to injury or form?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

On My Way...
    2 Years Experience
    5 ft 8
    155 lbs
    No injuries
    Hey there

Give this a shot:

Day 1:
    Squat 2x15
    Leg press 2x8
    SLDL 3x8
    Leg curl 2x8
    Calf raise 2x10
    Crunch 2x8

Day 2: Rest

Day 3:
    Bench press 3x8
    Dip 2x8
    OH press 3x8
    CGBP 3x8

Day 4:Rest

Day 5:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Chin 3x8
    Row 3x8
    Shrug 2x8

Days 6, 7, rest.

Add, delete, substitute lifts as you see fit, but this should be a nice start.

Work hard in the gym. Add weight every week.

Address your diet. You need to eat to gain... perhaps start a thread in the diet forum?
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Devastatingly Hardcore KryptoAllez's Avatar
    Okay first off, question, is this working for you? Are you seeing results? If yes, and you are getting properly recovered by the time you work out the body part again, then you don't need to change anything. If something is working then you are doing fine. However if you keep using the same routine, same exercises, you will eventually hit a plataeu where you find you are no longer making gains.

Here are some suggestions:

For chest, make sure you keep switching back and forth between using barbells and using dumbbells. Do barbells for two weeks then do dumbbells for two weeks. Also, don't forget to include incline bench and dumbbell presses and flies otherwise you will end up with an underdeveloped upper chest. You can also use the cable machine for a good squeeze on flies.

Make sure you use different exercises for back. I usually do 4-5 different exercises, there are so many, just make sure you switch around and use them all at one point or another. There are also machine rows, pulldowns, cable rows, and others I don't know the name of. Just make sure you don't skip particular exercises for long periods of time, you want to hit the muscle with as many angles as possible to end up with a symmetrical physique.

For shoulders, tris, and bi's, I usually do 3-4 exercises per body part on them, it is up to you. IMO, there is no such thing as overtraining, just underrecovery. If you are doing so much that you are not recovering by the next time you need to work that particular body part, then back off a bit. Generally, the less body parts I do in one session, the more different exercises/sets I'll do. If I do 3 body parts in one session, then I'll usually only do 3 different exercises, 3 sets each for each body part.

Hope this helps.
    Train Hard Or Go Home

Wannabebig Member
    Paul
    On that routine you posted, are all sets to failure?

Not necessarily.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

PUSH PULL LEGS.

I havent made any gains in a while as far as weight. I dont look bigger either. WTF. I have only been getting about 4 hours of sleep a night. Could that really hurt me?

I have only been getting about 4 hours of sleep a night. Could that really hurt me?

Do you nap during the day? Everybody recommends getting 8 hours of sleep each night. It is absolutely impossible for me to sleep more than 6 hours without taking something to knock me out. If I do sleep more than about 6 hours, I have slept in the same position most of the night and I wake up sore as hell. Anybody else out there the same way?

Insomniacs unite! :o

Cackerot????
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Maki????

No I dont take naps either. I usually go to bed around 1-1:30 and fall asleep at 2, then get up at 5:50.
    Last edited by greg kaiser; 09-22-2001 at 06:04 AM.

ZAP!
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 09-24-2001 at 09:15 AM.

majsi98: outnumber tuttut
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

is my imagination or I am seeing nothing

Not nice.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 09-24-2001 at 09:16 AM.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

HAve I offended you?

I agree with majsi. More of it is psychological than anything else.

There is a physical basis, but doing 6 sets for a body part every week, as a lot seem to consider "overtraining," isn't going to do it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Ditto

Damn Pauly. tuttut

I'm gonna kick yo' ass boy.

No, you are not.

I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

haha!

I swear Pauly, if i was in Baltimore, I would hunt you down and hump you like the dawg that you are!