The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I am stuck in a dorm again for school, with no feasible possibility of going to a gym(several reasons). I am not sure what goals to set for myself meaning not really sure what is attainable. In terms of training, I can only manage to bring in a inc/dec bench and limited free weights. Food is another story, since I have to eat at the caf here grilled chicken is about the best option. In addition school work....

I am not sure if I should consider a bulk or cut...I want to continue to improve my physique(which needs tons of improvement). I hit 200lbs about a month ago, high bf(~17% best guess), stopped training now I'm at roughly 180.

What would you do in my position? Just looking for input as to what goals would be achieveable in the four months I'm here, until I can hit the gym again.

Thanks
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Does your school not have a weight room or gym?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Does your school not have a weight room or gym?
    It does, a very small one that is packed always, i've gone once or twice and it would take a long time to have any sort of work out there, and time is very important to me right now given my current academic situation. On campus gym is not an option, and the nearest gym is a few bus rides away and beyond my budget as a student. Not saying it would be impossible, but I am just being pragmatic about it. I would be able to train more effectively in my room is all, albeit with less than optimal weights.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

you." - Nietzche

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Would a multi-station machine fit?
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Quote Originally Posted by W8_4_Me
    Would a multi-station machine fit?
    No unfortunately it wouldn't. But with the weights I could bring in I could get a half decent workout. Its just I am not sure if I should aim to train and eat for a bulk or to lose fat, I mean if I cut, I would probably jog through the frozen tundra that is my location, but I would prefer to bulk if I could make decent progress in the four months with the weights I got....what would you suggest I do?

you." - Nietzche

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Well, I find that tthe winter months are a great time for bulking and then when Spring hits, start cutting like a man possessed! By the time it’s beach/pool/lake/insert body of water here season, you’ll be looking great!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I'd make due with what I had, and do something else athletic - run, swim, join an intermural sport team, something like that.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You can do a LOT of different excercises with a set of DB's.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee