Thread: 5'4.5" 92 pounds male newbie's diet - plz look

Wannabebig Member

5'4.5" 92 pounds male newbie's diet - plz look

Hi
    I am new
    5'4.5"
    92 pounds

I am looking to gain weight
    I know I need at least 2500 calories cuz i'm a teenager and cant grow normally without this much.
    Checking my diet, I am taking in about 700-1000 +/- per day for the past year or so, thats why my body is in a skinny condition.

Ok. To gain, I am thinking about taking 3000 calories

3000 calories to gain for 1 week (to see what happens)
    (55%) 1700 carbs = 425g
    (30%) 900 fat = 100g
    (15%) 400 protein =100g

Is this a good idea or what?
    If I do 92x20 it equals 1840 calories, which I know I will not grow from so I am thinking of starting from 3000 calories.
    Also, I know teenagers need at least 2500 calories to grow normally so 1840 will not get me the results.

Please give me helpful advice. Thank you.

Well 3000 cals might be too much, it could just lead to excess fat gain. Give 2500 a try and see what that gets you after a week, you should be gaining about .5lb/week. Another piece of advice would be to cut those carbs back a bit and possbily up your protien 30-40grams a day. Maybe a little less fat, too.

:withstupi
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Yeah your diet is not all that balanced. You will have the energy to train with those carbs, but possibly not enough of the two macros responsible for actual lean mass gain. I would focus more on fat and protein for anabolism, and keep carbs somewhat in check, so long as you aren't feeling too drained.

Although, at 92 freaking pounds, I'd just eat anything I could up until I felt like puking, and then wait for that sensation to go away and eat some more. Try to get a good meal or shake in before bed as well if you can. Or at least a couple glasses of milk. I used to take a tablespoon of olive oil before bed for a while, good source of fat.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Im with that stupid st.patrick fellow.. who claims to be with sum other guy.. try 2500 :P that is like.. 26 times your weight.. holy cow lol.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok thank you for the suggestions

How is this:
    2500 gain for 1 week (to see what happens)
    (54%) 1350cals carbs 337.5g
    (30%) 750cals fats 83g
    (16%) 400cals pro 100g

Wannabebig Member
    I will definitely use olive oil before bed. thanks for the suggestion

I think you need to cut back on those carbs even more. IMHO if I were to be on a clean bulking diet I would shoot for an even split in the cals all the way down the line:

(33%) 825cals carbos 206
    (33%) 825cals protein 206
    (33%) 825cals fat 92
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Oh yeah, and make sure those are the "healthy fats".
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you ericg

I live in canada, and unfortunately, I dont have the money to buy a lot of protein.
    I am using 2 tuna cans for 60g protein and dont know how to get the rest

I dont want to use egg whites because they are more expensive than tuna cans.
    I really want a protein tub.

Quote Originally Posted by defcon
    Im with that stupid st.patrick fellow.. who claims to be with sum other guy
    :withstupi

Damn, yeah I just realized that's like BW x 25

Quote Originally Posted by windwork
    Thank you ericg

I live in canada, and unfortunately, I dont have the money to buy a lot of protein.
    I am using 2 tuna cans for 60g protein and dont know how to get the rest

I dont want to use egg whites because they are more expensive than tuna cans.
    I really want a protein tub.
    Click on that large ad on the top of the page.

Milk is a good source as well, and not too expensive.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Wannabebig Member
    I cannot order from the US to Canada because there are taxes and other charges involved.

Thanks for the input on milk

If you wish to order from canada use www.sndcanada.com

No other place can beat their prices, and they will deliver your product within 2 days generally. I orderd at 3pm on tuesday and my shipment was at my workplace at 9:30am on wednesday. Shipping charges are only $5 total, and are waived completely if you order $100 or more, which is easy to do.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    thank you very much.
    have u found any protein powder that does not cause gas?

or do you know any good meal replacement supplement?

which protein powder/meal replacement supplement do u use?
    thanks

I was using the EAS Simply protein, but just ordered a 5lb tub of Designer Whey. Both of those are pretty cheap and mix well. Generally I just take a bottle with a scoop of whey powder in it to the gym, and when I'm done fill it with water to make my shake. Also, post workout I'll add some form of carb powder as well. But it's not THAT crucial.

I don't know if it's the powder itself, or the increased protein intake that causes gas, but I think that it will settle down a bit once your body is adjusted to the diet.

I don't use meal replacements too often, but if you want one, I used to use Labrada Lean Body packets. They were a low carb option and tasted damn good. I think they have a non-low carb version, which may even taste better. But these things when I made them tasted like some kinda smoothy drink I'd buy at a bar. They have a tropical pack which all flavours are amazing, as well as the strawberry and chocolate ones are good.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    thank you.
    I dont have a credit card so i think I cannot buy from SND unless I get a credit card, which I might get from the bank
    I read their website, I dont think they accept money orders

I can buy EAS Simply protein from the store 5pounds for $56 WITH the discount card, so i might go with that option.
    But SND seems much better especially because they will deliver and i wont have to go out and spend the calories walking :P
    besides, their prices are much better especially with free delivery
    and if anyone orders over $200 they get a 5% discount! cool!

thanks for the information on labrada lean body and all the other info u have shared

I am almost 100% sure they accept money orders. When you go to checkout it will ask you which option you want to use.

Actually, here, I just went and tried to purchase something. After I checked out, and logged in, you have to fill in your shipping info and then it gives you the option of credit card or money order. Although, no personal cheques are allowed.

They should list this in their FAQ section, as they only list credit card as payment options even though they accept money orders. Hope that helped you out.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh and they generally always give you something free with your order as well. This time I ordered just over $200, so I got 5% off, and they gave me a free SND t-shirt. Usually I get a free protein bar or something like that.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Hi
    I am new
    5'4.5"
    92 pounds

3000 calories to gain for 1 week (to see what happens)
    (55%) 1700 carbs = 425g
    (30%) 900 fat = 100g
    (15%) 400 protein =100g
    I am using 2 tuna cans for 60g protein and dont know how to get the rest.
    If I subtract out the 2 cans tuna from the total above and assume they are ~100% protein, that leaves the following for the remainder of your diet:
    2760 calories
    Protein: 40g -- 5.8%
    Fat: 100g -- 32.7%
    Carbs: 425g -- 61.6%

I suspect that, if you listed your proposed diet into fitday.com , you would find that the remaining 2760 calories had a lot more than 40g protein, so you would be significantly above 100g protein per day.

The whole protein issue is likely to be a moot point as 100g works out to 2.4g/kg. There have been many studies of the protein needs of weightlifters. Such studies have results ranging from about .9g/kg to 2g/kg depending on the study used, significantly below your proposed total. Some examples of such studies are below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Eating far more protein than you need is very unlikely to make you grow muscle faster. If anything it might have a small negative effect since eating a larger percentage of calories from proteins would increase your caloric requirements due to issues such as TEF and thermogenesis. In addition, maintaining a high carb/protein increases insulin (insulin is anti-catabolic ), IGF-1, testosterone levels, and free testosterone balance as indicated in the following studies, articles, and discussions:

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49
    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...on/diet-01.htm
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...ct=ST;f=12;t=7
    http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165

I would focus on increasing calories until you are gaining weight at your desired weight and aim for 1g/lb protein or more. You can get your calories from protein powders, tuna, or carbs; but the important thing is to increase your calories. More detailed information about nutrition requirements can be found at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...t=ST;f=13;t=23
    Last edited by aka23; 01-10-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I really don't see how anyone can suddenly start eating double or as first mentioned, treble! their calories. You might be able to eat twice as much for your first meal but after that you will probably not feel hungry until way past the time of your next planned feed. You will need to add calories slowly. If you have only been eating 1000 a day then just add 200 a day to begin with and see how you go. The olive oil is a good idea for adding calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    I really don't see how anyone can suddenly start eating double or as first mentioned, treble! their calories. You might be able to eat twice as much for your first meal but after that you will probably not feel hungry until way past the time of your next planned feed. You will need to add calories slowly. If you have only been eating 1000 a day then just add 200 a day to begin with and see how you go. The olive oil is a good idea for adding calories.
    That's why I just suggested he eat when he can, as often as he can. Sometimes it's easy to plan a diet on paper, but hard to get all those calories into you when it comes time. So just try to remember to always keep something edible handy, and when you feel like you can eat, do it. This shouldn't be too hard on him, as long as it isn't a whole bunch of super calorie dense fast food.

I know when I eat clean, it's often difficult for me to eat enough calories.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    If I subtract out the 2 cans tuna from the total above and assume they are ~100% protein, that leaves the following for the remainder of your diet:
    2760 calories
    Protein: 40g -- 5.8%
    Fat: 100g -- 32.7%
    Carbs: 425g -- 61.6%

I suspect that, if you listed your proposed diet into fitday.com , you would find that the remaining 2760 calories had a lot more than 40g protein, so you would be significantly above 100g protein per day.

The whole protein issue is likely to be a moot point as 100g works out to 2.4g/kg. There have been many studies of the protein needs of weightlifters. Such studies have results ranging from about .9kg/lb to 2kg/lb depending on the study used, significantly below your proposed total. Some examples of such studies are below:

Eating far more protein than you need is very unlikely to make you grow muscle faster. If anything it might have a small negative effect since eating a larger percentage of calories from proteins would increase your caloric requirements due to issues such as TEF and thermogenesis. In addition, maintaining a high carb/protein increases insulin (insulin is anti-catabolic ), IGF-1, testosterone levels, and free testosterone balance as indicated in the following studies, articles, and discussions:

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/82/1/49
    http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...on/diet-01.htm
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...ct=ST;f=12;t=7
    http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165

I would focus on increasing calories until you are gaining weight at your desired weight and aim for 1g/lb protein or more. You can get your calories from protein powders, tuna, or carbs; but the important thing is to increase your calories. More detailed information about nutrition requirements can be found at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...t=ST;f=13;t=23

Hi
    Thank you for writing such a detailed post
    I am still reading the information in the links provided. It has been great. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka23
    You can get your calories from protein powders, tuna, or carbs
    I went in fitday and I will be eating rice, and rice has protein ... about 12grams for 2 cups of cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
    so those protein also count or only 'high quality' sources count?

i just want to know if rice protein counts towards my 15% protein intake.