Thread: Excellent Article

Excellent Article

I'm normally not much of a fan of T-Mag, but they sure do have a couple of gems.

This is one of them:

http://www.testosterone.net/nation_a...s/291seven.jsp

Simple, and to the point.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

agree.. this is a great article.

Ain't that the truth....
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

"Unfortunately, with 500 experts for every fundamental principle, and very little money to be made from repeating other people’s ideas, experts must continually emphasize the small (and often relatively unimportant) differences between their diet/eating plans and the diet/eating plans of all the other experts out there"

wow how true is that, unless they are academics where there is a whole career to be made out of that
    Last edited by prof; 01-07-2004 at 11:11 AM.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code

bone crusher
    yes, simple and to the point. good guideline no matter what the diet composition

I agree with much of the article. I think some of the recommendations are unnecessary.

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.
    One could interpret "no matter what" to mean interrupting sleep for meals. I think that such frequent meals are rarely needed, whether awake or sleeping. The body closely regulates its amino acid pool. AA still appear in the blood stream even 8 hours after a large meal. I doubt that it would make much difference whether you ate every 2-3 hours or went longer periods in terms of protein utilization, lean body maintenence, and metabolism; assuming the meals are balanced (contain carbs + protein) and contain typical protein sources (not whey), as well as proper pre/post workout nutrition.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals...
    6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.
    I interpret this to mean that one should not consume carbohydrates from grains or milk. I think this is an extreme recommendation that is not supported by the article. It is important to have some fruits and vegetables. He recommends this in point 3 (3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.), but I think that eliminating all grains and milk is unnecessary and would have negative effects for many. .

The only point that I think is essential is #7:
    7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    From What I've read (on this site and others and various articles) fruits are lousy sources of carbs because fructose puts so much into your liver stores, if you fill it too much, bad things happen. Then comes Tmag saying that all of your carbs should come from fruit because face it, veggies have jack **** for calories, period.
    Last edited by Budiak; 01-08-2004 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Budiak
    From What I've read (on this site and others and various articles) fruits are lousy sources of carbs because fructose puts so much into your liver stores, if you fill it too much, bad things happen.
    :withstupi

I hardly ever eat fruit. Maybe like 10-20 servings per year.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    clinical research has shattered the meal frequency thing

I try to have my fruit early enough in the day that it gets metabolized

I love fruit. I eat it when I can.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo