The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can't deadlift, next best thing?

Hey I can't deadlift due to my joint problem, and doin dead's just puts too much pressure on my spinal joints :/

What's the next best thing? I already do squats, leg curls, and calf raises. Thanks
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just curious what kind of spinal problem you have?

Does it bother you at all when you do squats?

The doctor just called it "connective tissue disease", which results in joint pain, but I have it the worst in my back for some reason. Squats don't hurt my joints, just my lower back muscles.

He just said get more sleep and see if the pain goes away, but it hasn't :/
    Stats

Lifts

Long-term Goals

I've noticed some doctors give the worst advice. My girlfriend has something wrong with her shoulders and spine; one doctor she went to said it's just stress. WTF?!?!!?

There's no such thing as Connective Tissue Disease. There are several conditions that can be group under that heading, though. I'd press the doc for a specific diagnosis and then treat it appropriately. If he/she can't be more specific I'd want to see a doctor or chiropractor with interest/training in sports medicine to figure out where the pain's coming from. If there is truly A connective tissue disease here, I'd want to see a rheumatologist. Not exercising is not the treatment of any connective tissue disease I know of.

Delphi, he told me not to train anything until I'm 18... yeah right...

I do know this, pain is telling you there's something wrong, and if it continues to hurt then it's probably damaging something. That's the reason I don't deadlift. Also the pain gets pretty bad, not worth risking an injury just to do that 1 exercise (there are other exercises).

Can you tell me some of these other exercises though please?
    Stats

Lifts

Long-term Goals

I do know this, pain is telling you there's something wrong, and if it continues to hurt then it's probably damaging something. That's the reason I don't deadlift. Also the pain gets pretty bad, not worth risking an injury just to do that 1 exercise (there are other exercises).

Agreed. I'm not telling you to do deadlifts despite the pain, I'm just suggesting you find out specifically what's wrong. Where in the back does it hurt? It sounds funny to me that you can do squats painfree, but deadlifts hurt. If the pain is confined to doing deadlifts, I would doubt that you have a true connective tissue disease.

Have you had somebody check your form while you deadlift a LIGHT weight? You might also consider looking at your flexibility and warmup/stretching picture.

What's the next best thing? I already do squats, leg curls, and calf raises.

Now back to your specific question about lifts, not your back condition. Be of good cheer, lots of people don't do deadlifts. Chris Mason is one example that comes to my mind immediately. He and I have been PM'ing about my routine, and I'm considering dropping them myself if I'm doing squats in a cycle.

Deadlifts hit the back, glutes, and hammies. Also quads to some extent. You're already doing leg curls which get the hams, squats which get the quads and back, calf raises which get the calves, other exercises that get the back as well.

The glutes may or may not be your weak link. Leg curls will get your glutes to some extent. If you can't do deadlifts you may not be able to do lunges, either. Same goes for good mornings. Shoot, even walking up a bunch of flights of stairs will work your glutes. You might not have to do anything that you're not already doing.

Again, I'm not saying to do something despite the pain. I just wouldn't be all that satisfied with the explanation given to you. My guess is you have one of three problems:

1) You have a bona fide medical condition (which I doubt since deadlifts seem to be the only lift causing problems).

2) There's some technical factor causing the pain (which can be found and eliminated).

3) I guess the third possibility is that your height, limb length, torso length, etc is better suited for squats than deadlifts.
    Last edited by Delphi; 09-23-2001 at 04:02 PM.

GREAT posts, Doc!

We appreciate them.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.