The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Please give me info to make me big! :D

Ok first of all I'm 16, 5'-7 or 5'-8, and 130-135 lbs. I realize that I'm a skinny mofo... I desperately want to get big, (preferrably as quickly as possible), but without creatine (protein is fine tho) or steroids (like I'd even THINK about roids before 20). Even though I'm a skinny guy, my strength (being a beginner) isn't too bad (in my opinion anyways).

For example my 1 rep max on flat bench is 150 lbs. (I know that you guys warmup with 20 reps of this but hey I'm small and a beginner so bear with me, at least I do my weight!) Also I can squat 225x6 for 2 sets then I can only get 4 on the 3rd set. I'm just telling you this to give you an idea of what I have to work with.

First of all I need to know how many calories to intake per day (5-6 meals a day is what I will do). Also I need to know about how many grams of prot/carbs I need per day.

After that I need information about working out, such as how many exercises/sets/reps per muscle group (I'm doing a 3-day split: chest/tris/shoulders, legs, back/bis). I've heard that 2 sets per exercise is enough, I've also heard that 5 sets breaks down the muscle more (making it better), but I don't know WHAT TO BELIEVE! I always go to failure (which is almost ALWAYS between 4-8 reps). For example, should I do 4-6 reps or like 6-8 reps? I'm trying to gain MASS and STRENGTH.

I'm going to try to get 8 hours of sleep per night now, because I've only been getting 4-5 :/

Please help me with this information and stuff cause I'm really serious about wantin to get big

thanks a lot
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    How many times in a month do you suppose we see this exact post?

the month isn't over yet...

The questions are valid, though.

To get big:

1. Lift big weights. Work hard at it. Focus on compound movements, and recovery.

2. Eat. A lot. At least 1g/pound protein, evenly mix fats and carbs. 500 cals over maint to start, increase as needed.

3. Rest. 8+ hours of sleep a day. Make sure you recover between workouts.

4. Learn. Read. Ask questions. My fave book: Keys to progress (get it at ironmind.com).

Your first assignment: Post your entire routine. (the split looks fine to me, and your squat is good for your size.)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Your second assignment: Go post your diet. or at least, head down to the diet section and look up some diets that have been critically acclaimed.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Devastatingly Hardcore KryptoAllez's Avatar
    I just typed up a big reply to this same question a day or two ago, go to: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&threadid=4147
    Train Hard Or Go Home

My Routine

Paul Stagg, here is the routine I came up with by using what I learned from message boards. I don't know if it is good enough or if it could be better.

NOTE: When I say day 1, day 2, day 3; it doesn't mean I workout 3 days in a row (I always have at least 1 day of rest between workouts). I sometimes can't workout the 2nd day after my workout, so I skip 2 days.

<----------Day 1---------->

[Chest]
    Flat Benchpress: 3x4-6
    Dips: 3xFailure

[Triceps]
    Skullcrushers: 3x4-8
    Tricep Extensions: 3x4-6

[Shoulders]
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3x4-8
    Lateral Raises: 3x8-10

<----------Day 2---------->

[Legs]
    Squats: 3x4-6
    Leg Curls: 3x6-8
    Calf Raises: 3x10

<----------Day 3---------->

[Back]
    Pullups: 3xFailure
    Dumbbell Rows: 3x6-8
    Shrugs: 3x8-10

[Biceps]
    Preacher Curls: 3x4-6
    Hammer Curls: 3x4-6

<------------------------->

Does this look good? Any recommendations? What order should I do the exercises in on Chest/Tri/Shoulder day and Back/Bi day?

Thanks
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

Wannabebig New Member

Younger and clueless

OK.... I'm new to the whole lifting experience. I have many questions but the most important is what all of those exersizes are... should i list the ones i dont know or does someone know a place where i can find out? thanks for ur help.
    ELIGH

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    That rotine looks pretty good. I would replace the Leg curl with a SLDL(stiff-legged deadlift). You also don't have to do 3 sets of every exercise. You can do 3 with the first exercises and perhaps 2 sets with the rest. See how you feel. Good luck with it.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

This should be a mandatory read, or something.

Getting Big For Dummies

"How do I get big?"

I don't know how many times I have heard that question. Want to know how to get big? EAT MORE! That is the ONLY way to gain weight. No supplements, no training routine, and not even Anabolic Steroids will make you gain weight if you are not eating enough!

"But I have a fast metabolism, I eat all the time but I still can't gain any weight"

Look. No matter how fast your metabolism, you can gain weight. Its all just a matter of finding the amount of calories you need to consume on a daily basis. Here's how to find out: For one week, record EVERYTHING that you eat or drink...everything that you goes in your mouth. Calculate how many calories, protein, carbohydrates (carbs), and fat are in each meal. Add up these numbers to get your daily total. If your weight didn't change at all this week, then you have just found your AMR (active metabolic rate). In other words, this is the amount of calories you need to consume on a daily basis to stay at your current weight. In order to gain, you have to add calories to this number...500 should do the trick. If not, add another 500. Keep adding until you start to gain (1 pound a week is a good amount to shoot for, any more than that and you are adding some fat). Pretty simple, huh?

Macronutrient Ratio's.

The three macronutrients (macro's) are carbs, protein, and fat. Each macronutrient has a caloric value...
    Protein - 4 calories
    Carbs - 4 calories
    Fat - 9 calories

My favorite, and usually a very effective macronutrient breakdown for gaining muscle is: 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat. Thats 40% of calories from carbs, and 30% from fat and protein.So a person taking in 3000 calories per day would consume 300g of carbs, 225g of protein, and 100g of fat. Don't be afraid of carbs, they are not the evil the media and many other writers make them out to be. Most of your protein should come from animal sources, beef, fish, eggs, and milk are some good quality protein sources. Carbs should come from grains, oats, and veggies, but try to stay away from simple sugars. Fats from non-saturated sources...oils, eggs, and peanut butter are all very good sources of fat, try to avoid saturated fat as much as possible (solid at room temperature). Remember, to gain weight...you have to eat more calories than you burn off. As your weight increases, so will your caloric requirements. To keep gaining, you have to keep adding the calories.

Training To Gain Muscle

Now that you have a basic understanding of nutrition for weight gain, I will teach you the basics of weight training to gain muscle. If you eat to gain weight, and don't weight train, you are going to get fat. I'm sure muscle weight gain is your goal, so you have to train, and you have to do it right. Weight training is very simple, but most poeple make it much more complicated than it really is. First things First, put down that muscle magazine! The training routines outlined in these mags are those of elite bodybuilders, who have years and years of training under their belt. They are poor routines for a natural (without Anabolic Steroid use), and certaintly are not suited for a beginner. OK, now that that is out of the way, I will tell you the basic principles of training for muscle growth...

~Train no more than 5 times a week, 3-4 would be best. This allows for >maximum recuperation and prevents burn-out (overtraining).

~Train each muscle group only once a week. This provides the muscle group with plenty of time to rest and grow.

~Overload. In order for your muscles to grow, you must get stronger. Try to add weight, or a rep EVERY workout.

~Train your whole body. Don't neglect any bodyparts, especially your legs...since your legs alone make up half of your body!

~Use a full Range of Motion (ROM) on every rep of every set. Never sacrafice ROM for heavier weight.

~Don't overlap muscle groups. Ex. when you train back, no matter how well you "isolate" it, your biceps will be involved to some degree. Therefore, don't train your biceps the day after back, or vice versa. Same rule applies to chest, shoulders, and triceps....and Quads and Hams.

~Utilize free weight exercises as much as possible.

~Utilize compound exercises as much as possible. Compound exercises are exercises that involve more than one major muscle group. Examples of compound exercises are:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Parellel Bar Dips

~Train to failure. This means training until you can't possibly do one more rep during a set. If a training program tells you to do 10 reps, then you should reach failure on your 10th rep. DO NOT stop just becuase your only supposed to do 10 reps, just make sure to add weight on your next workout.

~Don't exceed 20 sets per day training. This is just generally speaking, but it is a good guidline. I recommend 6-12 sets for large bodyparts (chest, back, legs), and 4-6 sets for small bodyparts (bieps, triceps, calves, traps).

~Use a 6-12 rep range most of the time. This has been shown to be the ideal rep range for muscle growth.

~More isn't always better. Don't make the mistake of thinking thats the more you train, the more you will grow. This is not the case. Remember, training is just a stimulus for growth...you grow outside of the gym.

Rest

Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep EVERY night. This is one of the few areas of bodybuilding where more is actually better.

Conclusion

I have just outlined a basic guidline more muscular weight gain. You must understand that your diet is the most important aspect when trying to gain weight (and any other time). But, in order to gain muscular bodyweight, all three factors must be present and well planned. Master nutrition, weight training and recuperation...and you will be on your way to you bodybuilding goals.

Excellent post, Cack.

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with most of what cackerot69 says, except number of sets and how the work should be done.

It has been scientifically show that the muscle responds best when under tension for 30-90 seconds. Usually people lift too fast to hit this range. I suggest taking 3-4 seconds to lower the wieght, with a rep range of 8-12. I would also do only 1 work set per body part every 5-7 days. After a warmup, do only 1 intense set to failure (with 1-2 forced reps or with a drop or superset). Most people scoff at this workout, but it works (look at post "a workout that works"). By the way, about half the NFL teams use this High Intensity Training (HIT) method.

Great post Cack!!!

And if you dont got the genetics none of that above will help you.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Originally posted by Lazy J
    I agree with most of what cackerot69 says, except number of sets and how the work should be done.

It has been scientifically show that the muscle responds best when under tension for 30-90 seconds. Usually people lift too fast to hit this range. I suggest taking 3-4 seconds to lower the wieght, with a rep range of 8-12. I would also do only 1 work set per body part every 5-7 days. After a warmup, do only 1 intense set to failure (with 1-2 forced reps or with a drop or superset). Most people scoff at this workout, but it works (look at post "a workout that works"). By the way, about half the NFL teams use this High Intensity Training (HIT) method.
    Actually, the range is more like 30-70 seconds. 90 is a bit too long.

By slowing down the eccentric, you're also increasing the muscle damage by a large degree. That's going to increase recovery time by a good bit, because of the increased damage. You can get a 30 second TUT on a 8-10 rep set, easy.

Also, that "optimum" TUT doesn't necessarily apply if the tension is high enough, and rests are short enough between sets.

One work set, even with that hard eccentric component, isn't really that effective in the long run. Try using that type of workout on occasion to break up a period of higher-volume training.

And yeah, I do scoff at HIT when used for consistent training, because there are better ways. I don't care if half the NFL teams use it, half the NFL teams have suck-ass strength coaches.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

That is an excellent routine, jww.

Keep adding poundage and you'll grow quite nicely.

Lets try to keep the HIT debate out of this thread.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.