The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerlifting and aesthetics

I have been looking at powerlifting sites lately as my goals have been leaning towards strength rather than just increasing mass. Not to insult powerlifters or anything, but the majority of the ones that I see do not have the most aesthetic bodies, but they are some strong mofo's. I was wondering why exactly this is? Is it just because they don't moderate their diet as much as regular bodybuilders? If you were to follow a powerlifters workout but watch the diet as if you were a bodybuilder, I would think you would be stronger than most bodybuilders but still have a great looking body. From what I see on the sites though, this doesn't seem to be a common occurence. Why?

Chase
    Last edited by HolyChase; 09-16-2001 at 01:32 PM.
    That said, look at Chase. He is bigger than Arnold was at the same age. Now, he doesn't quite have the Arnold shape, but for pure muscle mass he has more.
    -Chris Mason talking about BCC, but its all mine now.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the hughe amount of fat supports the muscles and protects them.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

The powerlifters that are high bf tend to be the heavy weight lifters. Once you hit the unlimited class there is almost no point (other then medical) to lose extra bodyfat. If you were to look at the champion lifters under 220 pounds most have a low bf%. If you train for powerlifting and have a good diet you will still look good when you cut down.
    Another thing is when you gain a ton of weight and your chest gets bigger your bench ROM will shorten which will lead to a bigger bench.
    Last edited by Adam; 09-16-2001 at 01:45 PM.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Now Rock, not all powerlifters are fat! In fact, most of them are quite lean. You are generalizing the heaviest weight classes to represent the whole. Other than the heaviest weight classes, most powerlifters do not carry excess bodyfat, it would be a detriment to them by making them compete in a higher weight class than necessary.

One reason that many powerlifters may not have aesthictically pleasing physiques (to you Chase) is because of genetics. In other words, most people begin lifting weights for a specific reason other than to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter. They workout to get stronger for football, look good for girls, to gain weight, etc. Fairly quickly, they start to get results. Some may gain more strength than size (they may lean towards powerlifting), others the opposite (they may lean towards bodybuilding). Some may get bigger and stronger, but still have non-aesthetic physiques. So you see, the results dictate how people categorize themselves. Of course there are other factors, but this is one.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Just to add to what gettin bigger and Chris said, powerlifters also do a ton of heavy squats, deads and ab work. This tends to build up their stomach muscles moreso then a pure bodybuilder. Many of them have large waistlines, though very tight and strong, not aesthetically pleasing to most. The wider the base, or tomach in this case, usually the stronger the squat and pull.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    well, fat has some effect on strength. like bears, for example, they are not that lean, but can destroy a car without will (there was a doc that showed that bears don't put more effort in breaking into cars than any other natural thing they come to destroy). they ddi tests and foudn out that fatter bears (as rite b4 winter) hae more test than leaner ones.

also, bb's do fat-loss specific methods (cutting, maybe some stimlulants) but powerlifters should only worry about gettting stronger w/o gaining too much weight (fat doesn't weigh a lot in terms of density). powerlifting and bodybuilding have two entirely diffferent goals
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Bigger fewl
    Lol latman you dissapoint me.

The ammount of size you gain from all that heavy ab work would hardly be enough to make a difference. You could work your abs like crazy, but if your fat you'll have a big waist, if your lean it will be stronger. It's not like powerlifters'bs are gonna get any bigger than bodybuilders', and bodybuilder's abs aren't disgustingly huge.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Originally posted by DaChickenShowYo

The ammount of size you gain from all that heavy ab work would hardly be enough to make a difference. You could work your abs like crazy, but if your fat you'll have a big waist, if your lean it will be stronger. It's not like powerlifters'bs are gonna get any bigger than bodybuilders', and bodybuilder's abs aren't disgustingly huge.
    DaChickenShowYo; you dissapoint me. What you just said made absolutely no sense to me.

I dissapoint you?

Go tell an elite powerlifter that his 40+ inch waist is due to being a fat bastard and not a strong, built up midsection with fat on it yes, but not a beer belly. Foo
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

What Chris said makes a whole lot of sense to me:

1) Other than the heaviest weight class, the powerlifters are going to be as concerned about excess fat as the bodybuilders.

2) If a man is strong but doesn't have the genetics to have a bodybuilder's proportions, he's more likely to gravitate toward powerlifting than bodybuilding.

A good example would be Strong Man competitions. You've got guys with high bf% and those who have low bf%. They both compete at the same level.

Just wait 4more years and Hercules will return.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

What are you talking about?

DaChickenShowYo - You ever heard of squatter's ass? Squatters ass happens for a reason. Also, want to believe it or not... working abs contributes GREATLY to having good compound lifts such as a squat, and/or deadlift.

That was a very arrogant statement, when in fact, Latman is correct.
    Last edited by Kazuki; 09-17-2001 at 09:21 AM.

Da Chicken, a powerlifter may carry some fat around his/her midsection but don't be fooled by this appearance. They have some nice abdominals that are highly functionally to their sport.

Podium, I do believe that the subject of fat was directed towards humans, not animals, even though I guess you could in a sense lable us all as animals.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 09-17-2001 at 09:44 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Bigger fewl

The amount of size you gain from all that heavy ab work would hardly make a difference in your waist size. You could work your abs like crazy, but if you're fat you'll have a big waist, if your lean it will be small (by small I mean 30-35 inches). It's not like powerlifter's abdominal muscles are gonna get any bigger than bodybuilder's, and bodybuilder's abs aren't all that disgustingly huge anyways.
    Trying to make that a little clearer.

What does squatters ass have to do with abs?

Maki and kazuki, I never said powerlifters abs weren't strong or functional or anything like that. If anyone knows that, I do. Not that I'm a huge strong mofo, but I've done my homework. And from experience I've learned this. After a good squat or deadlift workout, my abs are sore like crazy. The core muscles, mainly lowerback and abs, transfer the weight to the movers and keep you stable. If you have a weak core, even if your glutes and legs can move a huge weight, if you get under it and squat, you will crumple to the ground.

Latman, you can't have a 40 inch waist that is all muscle. It's not gonna happen. Do you have any idea how thick your abs would be to have even a 35" waist that is ripped? If a powerlifter dieted down, it's doubtful that their abs would be bigger than a huge bodybuilder's, if not smaller. Go look at pics of some relatively lean powerlifters or strength atheletes.

Carpe diem

Hardcore, what else?

Latman, you can't have a 40 inch waist that is all muscle. It's not gonna happen. Do you have any idea how thick your abs would be to have even a 35" waist that is ripped? If a powerlifter dieted down, it's doubtful that their abs would be bigger than a huge bodybuilder's, if not smaller. Go look at pics of some relatively lean powerlifters or strength atheletes.

Ever heard of Greg Kovaks?
    When will it be my time to shine? - me

Squatter's ass is related in the sense that the muscles grow outward making it appear "large" - Aesthetically pleasing to some, nan to others. Same goes with the midsection and the supporting muscles of a PL.

All said aside yes they do have more bodyfat than a normal 'bodybuilder'. Are they fat? Some. All? Naaaaaa. Keep in mind they do not train for the looks.
    Last edited by Kazuki; 09-18-2001 at 05:47 AM.

All said aside yes they do have more bodyfat than a normal 'bodybuilder'. Are they fat? Some. All? Naaaaaa. Keep in mind they do not train for the looks.

You all need to keep in mind that most bodybuilders don't look anything like they do onstage most of the time. In fact, quite a few of them blow up by 50 lbs + over their contest weight during the off-season.

Chicken, I understand what you are trying to say, but some of the things you are saying are inaccurate. A man could easily have a 35" waist that is ripped, especially a man with a large frame. You are also under 2 misconceptions. One, the waist sizes that you read about in the magazines of most bodybuilders are bogus. A man who is 5'10" and 250 lbs ripped does not have a 32" waist. Two, I think you are projecting yourself and your experiences onto others, in other words, you cannot imagine having a 35" waist that is ripped, so you think that it would not be possible for others. I do agree that a powerlifter's abs would not be any larger than a bodybuilder, in fact I think the opposite would be true due to genetic and training differences, just like the rest of the musculature (i.e. bodybuilders with similar frames to a powerlifter normally have larger, albeit functionally weaker muscles).
    Last edited by chris mason; 09-18-2001 at 06:10 AM.

Chris- To comment on the size of abs. Most Plers build up the strenth and size of their abs with not only heavy compound movements, but heavy direct ab work. Most bodybuilders do light ab work. The abs, being like any other muscle in the body, would obviously grow more from heavy resistance, right? I guarantee that most PLers dieted to the same bf% as a bodybuilder would have a larger midesection.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I agree with Latman. With increased resistance comes increased size. The abs are just like other muscles.

I think you boys need to take a look at some of your favorite professional bodybuilders. They have incredibly enormous abs! You will note, I said abs , not entire mid-sections which are constituted by multiple muscle groups. If lifting heavier weights was the only criteria for big muscles, powerlifters would surely have larger triceps than professional bodybuilders of similar frames and weight, but alas they do not. Genetics and training, drugs, and how they are combined also play a role.

To clarify a bit more. Remember, increased resistance with consistent form causes/= increased size in the individual . However, if one guys lifts more than another on a given exercise, he does not necessarily have larger muscles than the other guy. The principle does is not always valid between individuals. Which, of course, brings us back to my first point that genetics will help to determine the course of a lifter's life with regards to the weights. The guy that blows up in size, but not so much in strength will probably become the bodybuilder and the guy who does the opposite will gravitate towards powerlifting.
    Last edited by chris mason; 09-18-2001 at 05:18 PM.

Bigger fewl
    I agree with chris. No powerlifter is gonna get bigger than an elite bodybuilder, why? because its not what they train for.

I suppose you're right about waist sizes, since so many factors come into play, such as lowerback, obliques, GH gut, and bone structure. But the main point I was trying to get across was that rectus abdominal development isn't going to affect your waist size much. Maybe 2-5 inches most.

Carpe diem

Well, 2-5" is quite a bit when you think about it, but I get your point.

I agree with latman.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo