The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Need help increasing Bench

I have been doing all DB work on the bench for a very long time. When I started I was pushing 45-50 pound DB's with each arm. Many moons later I am up to 70 pound DB's with each arm. I have seen great growth in my chest. However, my waist has grown along with it. Right now my chest is almost 43 inches and my waist is 33 at the belly button.

My problem is I haven't been able to increase the wieght for a long long time now. I've been doing 70 pounders now for a few months. I've only gotten 3 sets of 8 reps one time. I usually get 1 set of 8, 1 set of 6 or 7, and one set of 5 or 6. I have increased on my other chest exercises(dips, cable fly) but I can't go up on the bench.

I am currently cutting(just started) so I know increasing will be a b-tch now. But even when I eas steadily gaining wieght I just can't push anymore wieght. My tris are strong and my arms are growing fast too. They were almost 13 inches when I started lifting last January and now they are 14.5

I know that we all hit ruts and slow points, but this is crazy. I haven't went up at all in so long I cannot remember. My chest keeps growing fairly well, but I don't even know why.

What should I do?

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You won't increase your lifts on a cut.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    agree with the above, but when your ready to increase drop you reps. I always had good luck with this for getting more weight up(barbell), first warm up...4 sets at least...then 1 set of 5 reps, add 20lbs do 3 reps, at 15 do 1 rep, add 10 do 1 rep with help....drop back down to a weight you can do 10 to 15 reps for a pump...start at a weight that allows you several weeks of being able to add 5lbs to each set, when you fail at the 5 rep set drop 20lbs and start over......do this in 3 month cycles, its hard on ya.

but what works for me might not for you

GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    You won't increase your lifts on a cut.

I know

I've been bulking up until a few days ago. I planned on cutting on Jan. 1 but I got a late start.

I know I'm not gonna gain much on a cut but I haven't been gaining on a bulk.

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    I know I'm not gonna gain much on a cut but I haven't been gaining on a bulk.
    Not gaining weight, or not gaining in your lifts?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Do reverse pyramid. Start at 80's and do those 4-6 times. Then drop to the 70's and do those for however many reps. You have to try heavier weight sometime to get things moving again. Most of the time people can do it but they are just too psyched out to try it.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    My chest keeps growing fairly well, but I don't even know why.

What should I do?

-mic-
    If your chest is growing good, should you be that concerned with how heavy your dbs are, especially during a cut?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

How about stopping DB presses and trying another exercise (like benches or inclines or weighted dips). Chances are if you increase strength in those lifts then you'll probably increase your poundage on your DB presses.

or

Jack the weight up to 80lbs and go for a 5x5 type routine (so do say two warmups then the 3 working sets would be at 80).

couple this with strengthening your triceps and lats.

some good advice so far

I do wieghted dips every chest day. I also do DB inclines or declines after my regular sets.

If I went up to 80's I would probably only get 3-4 reps max. I will try it but I seriously doubt I could do much at all. That would be adding 20 pounds onto the wieght I am currently struggling with. Like I said, my bench usually goes like this. I go to failure on each set with the 70's.

First Set: 8 reps

Second Set: 6 or 7 reps

Third Set: 4-6 reps

I've only gotten 3x8 one time in the last few months and I had just watched "Pumping Iron" so I was hyped up.

I think I may try 75's next week and shoot for 3x5. It can't hurt..... I just feel very stuck. I am not expecting to increase lifts on a cut, so I won't be disappointed if I don't increase soon, but when I go back to bulking I want to increase. I've been stuck here for way to long. I'm not doing it for ego cuz I usually work out in a nearly empty gym. It's just that I know my chest won't keep growing forever doing the same weight each week.

-mic-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal: