Thread: Push/Pull vs. other

Push/Pull vs. other

How do you guys find push/pull splits as oppossed to other splits eg. chest&back/legs/arms&shoulders?

And also do you think a muscle group is best worked at once eg. chest(bench press),chest(incl. press),back,(row),back(pull ups) or distributed throughout the workout eg. chest(bench press),back,(row),chest(incl. press),back(pull ups) ?

Personally, I'm more inclined to do a push/pull/legs split 'cause you can work all major/secondary muscles in one shot, you don't have to do as many sets and can get more rest time (ie growth time)....so for example...on chest/shoulders/triceps days, when you work chest, your shoulders and triceps are going to get work as they are hit by lots of chest exercises (especially pressing movements). So after chest, your shoulders and triceps are in effect 'warmed up' and you can just jump right into your working sets for those muscle groups.

Also, I find that working chest and back on the same day is rough....personally after a back workout I don't want to be near the gym for a few days.

Anyways...just my humble two cents!

couldn't the weak link become triceps on push and biceps on pull days due to fatigue, thus reducing the amount of weight that can be lifted and the amount of stress imparted on the pecs/shoulders or back? Does that make sense?

What I mean is, on push days do your triceps get so fatigued during bench press that you can't get a decent delt workout because you can't overhead press very much? Is this even logical? I'm just curious because I might like to try a push/pull split.

diego, I really like push/pull routines. Before I started westside, it was the only routine I used. If I decide to take a break from PL routines, I will definitely use push/pull. When deciding what order to train, work biggest to smallest. Eg, chest-->shoulders-->triceps.

mckinley, no, it won't stop you from getting a good shoulder/tricep workout. You'll be using less weight, obviously, but the amount of work done should be the same when you take into account the indirect work done in previous exercises.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I've done push/pull, push/pull/legs, and push/pull/legs/deadlift routines and all of them were great. I think the 3 and 4 day split were the ones I had the best gains on though. Sometimes I find doing push/pull with all the leg stuff added in can be a bit much.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

When I say push/pull, I mean legs/push/pull (squat/bench/dead).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310