The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASA = Useless

NASA = Useless

I'm sorry, but I just feel that NASA is a waste of US tax dollars. The only good thing about it is that they employ a good number of people, and provide them with good paying jobs. The very concept , however is unnecessary IMO.

I mean think about it. How would we be worse off if NASA never existed? If we never went to the moon? I can't think of anyway that space exploration benefits us here on earth.

I DO see the benefit of satellite navigation and GPS and such, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the moon and mars and stuff.

I think the Billions of dollars funded annually to NASA would be better spent taking care of things here on earth.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You'll be eating your words when the rest of us are having crazy assed parties on Mars and you're stuck on Earth. Earth is so last year.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

I think Bush is secretly planning to declare War on the Martians.

First, they have to attack them with their ray guns...wait one minute, did you say RAY GUNS.....they're hiding ray guns? "Lets get'em boys, woohaaa!"

On a more serious note, a bunch of neat stuff has come out of NASA labs that is in everyday use today, and so some american made money out of it. NASA funding is funding for US interests in Space wars anyways, damn BORG.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I wish I had one of those pens that wrote upside down. Man those are just great.
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 140
    Current Personal Bests
    1x175 BP
    8x205 Squat
    1x245 Deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by pusher
    On a more serious note, a bunch of neat stuff has come out of NASA labs that is in everyday use today
    Like Tang and dehydrated ice cream?

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    I mean think about it. How would we be worse off if NASA never existed? If we never went to the moon? I can't think of anyway that space exploration benefits us here on earth.

I DO see the benefit of satellite navigation and GPS and such, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the moon and mars and stuff.
    You'd have to remember that the era of moon exploration was during the Cold War. Most of it had to do with national pride and beating the soviets at their own game, because they put a man in orbit first. This made the United States the standard-bearer for space exploration, meaning the US benefitted in the long term via partnerships with other nations, affecting both foreign policy and research advantages on both sides.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

plus its cool..
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I heard he is doing it because China is going to try and put a man on the moon and he wants America to do one better.

Im British so it isn't my tax dollers, so I quite cool with the idea

lol, our tax payments are spent far more wisely like our successful Millenium Dome and improving our health service..

hmmmmm...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    lol, our tax payments are spent far more wisely like our successful Millenium Dome and improving our health service..

hmmmmm...

Pork barrel politics is universal.

Texas has a bigger one. Everything's bigger in Texas.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Dome that is...
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Velcro. I'm sure that we'd be a much more corrupt, morally bankrupt and socially volatile societyt if we didnt have velcro and strawberries packaged in neoprene.

I never understand, why we have what we do, and dont have what we dont....

Take "space exploration" billions and billions of dollars go into this... but why?

Some people want to know if there is alien intelligence.
    Well hell how complicated is it? There either is or isn't.
    If there isn't, its a waste of the money and if there is, that still leaves just two possibilities. Either they are dumber than we are, or they are smarter than we are.

Well if they are dumber... I dont even want to have anything to do with them.
    If theyre smarter, theyll find us before we find them anyway.....

- Theo Maassen
    Last edited by Reinier; 01-16-2004 at 06:26 AM.

Can any of you think ahead more than 5-10 years? I'm sure when the first ships were made, people wondered why they had to sail out of view of their own coastlines. Our race continues to grow, and unless I'm mistaken, our planet is not. Not that that is the only reason, there are many others. I'm sure even if we never decided to colonize elsewhere we would eventually stay in equilibrium here, but I doubt that the nature of our race would be satisfied with that. We have always strived to further ourselves, and explore new frontiers. Now that pretty much the entire globe has been mapped, it is logical for us to expand. It's simply technology that is holding us back, and we are simply waiting for technology to catch up to the realization of our expansion. Of course, that would never happen if we just cancelled space programs, which in turn encourage kids to study hard, take engineering or math, or science in university, and continue to further knowledge to facilitate such exploration.

Our history is mottled with spurts of advancement and stagnation, and I'm pretty sure regardless of whichever phase we are in, it's impossible to tell accurately until history has judged it. It's not like during the industrial revolution, people were claiming, "wow, look at us advance!" It's not always a quick process, and while we are in the midst of it, you can't really accurately guage where things will lead. The only thing we can do is to keep striving for knowledge, and cancelling institutions such as NASA would obviously be a major blow against such aspirations.

Yes I'm bored, and felt like typing this out for little reason other than self-amusement. It's friday, and I just killed five minutes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh and Pusher made a great point about things coming out of NASA labs. But we can expand further, and say that if NASA creates a need for scientific research, and as I said, gets more people to dedicate themselves to science, they may not necessarily end up at NASA despite it being a motivating factor. And ultimately can lead to scientific breakthroughs through university or privately funded research.

So Patty, I think you'd be shocked if your question on how our lives would be different, had NASA never existed, was actually ever answered.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm 100% with Pete.

NASA seems dumb if you're only thinking about 20 years ahead.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Do you realize the US's race to space and further to the moon is what fueled many of todays technologies? Besides it is a really cool thing to do, going to space has so many great side effects. Do you ever wonder why the US is the world leader in tech? It has alot to do with the US government pouring billions of dollars into their space program that developed so many promising technologies that were later used in developing other technologies and marketed to the world+dog. Going to mars is a great idea (on of the few that Bush has had) and I applaud him for it.
    w00t

Confused
    I thought japan was the world leader in tech?

Agreed with pusher.

I can imagine it now.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the probes we sent to mars show CLEAR evidence of weapons of mass destruction. We don't know the martian command structure, or if there is any life on mars at all, but you can be sure that we found evidence of weapons of mass destruction. These include: jagged rocks; at least 10 atoms of radioactive isotopes and some white dust which looks like anthrax. The radioactive isotopes I mentioned above could be used to build interplanetary ballistic missiles, on demand. The martians have clearly ignored the sanctions imposed on them by myself, a few days ago. We feel that Mars poses a significant risk to the United States of America, and freedom. Troops are on their way to Mars, along with a token multinational force. My great friend Tony Blair has offered his full support, and is much appreciated. He has agreed to send troops as part of the token multinational force, who will be targeted whenever there isn't much action, amongst cries of "Yeeha!" and "GO USA!". All interplanetary transport to and from the USA will be subject to freedom enhancing checks and liberty maximising lockups. Any questions?"

CNN news representative: "Mr President, do you have any clear evidence of the WMD's on Mars?"
    "Yes, our scientists have found a chemical known as H20, a substance known to cause, on contact, asphyxiation, choking, gagging, lack of breath, and death."

"Mr President, how are these troops being sent to Mars? Surely this is quite a feat of engineering?"
    "We have began mass producing war ships capable of travelling twice the speed of light. We have passed an amendment to allow military vehicles to defy the laws of physics. The laws were made for a reason, but we feel that at a time like this, the rules need to be slighly redefined."

"Mr President, what did you mean by your last comment about interplantery travel to and from the USA?"
    "Just what I said; we will impose a small number of skin colour tests and US customs have the power to detain any aliens that look a bit dodgy"
    "Are you saying that spacecraft depart and arrive from earth each day?"
    "Duh where do you think Arnold Schwarzenegger came from? Next question."

"Mr President, do you have any specific military targets?"
    "Well, the leader of the martians is believed to be:

this rock; known to its troops as "Smithsonian". Smithsonian is a dangerous criminal, well known for mistreatment of his fellow rocks, and we believe he has the intent and the means to use weapons of mass destruction against the USA, or at the very least, sit completely stationary for MILLIONS of years."

"Thankyou"
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Neollagnailati
    Dang, budiak beat me to velcro. Well, velcro and things like that. Besides, how would we fight off aliens if we didnt have spaceships?

I'm with ElPietro...the rest of you need to go back to school

ChrisH - WTH? That was real funny!!!!

1 medium-sized mineral rich asteriod is estimated to contain approximatey $1 trillion dollars worth of material.

That's why we're going go into space, eventually.

Moving to Mars will be beneficial once we totally overpopulate Earth...

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties