The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Clean Bulk - Diet Questions

I have been dieting low carb since the beginning of December and I believe I will be reaching my BF goals nearing the end of February. My question is this, once I am finished with my cut and I want to start bulking again, how many calories should I eat to (super clean) to gain back as little fat as possible while I bulk. I would much rather bulk slowly and stay lean then get fat again. I have been overweight my whole life and as my goals are now in sight it would really upset me to think all my hard work and dedication was going to be thrown away on a shady bulk.

Stats:
    I am 6'3"
    At the end of my cut I will be around 190
    Hopefully BF will be in the 10-12% range.

I am very insulin sensitive and have learned to avoid white sugar and white flour so I can easily bulk cleanly (with the occasional potato and some rice.) What I need is a good calorie range to work with and then I can make a diet and post it here for some critiquing. Right now I am thinking in my mind that I will want to aim for around 3,000 cals and include some very light cardio post workout. Will I be able to bulk on that or am I tripping thinking that I can gain LBM with only 3k cals.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shark; 01-17-2004 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Change thread title

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    There are a lot of good ideas floating around for how to achieve lean gains bulking. CKD bulk, UD 2.0 mass phase, or Twin Peak's carb cycling approach could all work extremely well as an example.

It may be tough to tell the difference b/w water weight, muscle and fat gain starting the bulk.

For this reason and others, I say eat at maintenance or slightly below during that time frame and establish some sort of regular eating pattern for a while that doesn't lead to too much flucuation. You might very well surprise yourself at how few calories it can take to bulk especially if you change other variables, like reducing activity level.

As a general note, consider various ways of partitioning nutrient effectively. Exercise/training is key here. A HIIT session or two a week couldn't hurt, something more than a little light cardio at least.

If you are way below your setpoint and want to stay there an appreciable length of time, depending on your age/level of experience etc, you might want to look into stronger supplemental partitioning agents. Research etc, etc.

CKD, UD 2.0, and Twin peak's are all variants of carb restriction eating plans. At the end of my cut I will have been low carbing for 3 months and I'm not going to be real excited about bulking using those options. Also, CKD in particular is not an effective bulking regime nor is UD 2.0 so Iím not really sure why you suggested those. I'm thinking about a possible 40/40/20 split or maybe something like a 40/35/25 split for my bulk. Clean foods, cottage cheese, protein shakes, lean beef, chicken, pork chops, whole wheat toast, natty peanut butter, etc.

The reason I am asking for specific calorie ranges is that I have always bulked with the concept of eat everything in sight and I don't really know what my maintenance is. What would be a good range to get me near my maintenance?

Wannabebig Member
    True, after that long low carbing, I wouldn't be interested in the mass version of UD 2.0 or CKD either.

Why not just do the simplest thing possible and estimate it around bodyweightx15 and adjust as needed. There are more complex calculators out there, but why bother? Doesn't mean they will be more accurate necessarily.

That would give you a start of around 2850 and would put you near maintenance. With a fairly sedentary lifestyle (very little cardio), that would probably work for a very slow bulk.

The hardest part may very well be the psychological aspects. You may still find that you are ravenously hungry even at higher kcals. Don't fret over the exact number, just try and keep calories in check as much as possible.

Nothing wrong with starting the bulk and after one week seeing, "oh darn, I didn't gain anything". I'll just have to bump kcals by a couple of hundred each day and see what happens next go round. At least that is the way I look at it. Longer time spent bulking the better in my book.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-17-2004 at 08:18 PM.