The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Man of Troy

USC Ed's Journal

Seeing as i'm a new member I think it's best that I introduce myself properly before getting into my workout details.

I am around 6'2 and my weight changes between 200 and 210 lbs. It isn't exactly stable and can change by 4-5 lbs overnight. Like many of the members of this board I am a student. I have lived between Cali and the UK the last few years due to my Dad's job. At the moment I am in England for three years doing an undergraduate degree in Geography with International Relations, which is basically a mixture modern history and politics.

My background in sports is mainly in rugby. I am not sure how familiar you guys are with the sport. I have played at a county level as well as for my region and for a professional club's academy team. I also have a background in cross country running although I have bulked up now and my cardiovascular endurance is not quite as good as it wfas when I ran seriously.

For roughly the last year I have been out injured with back problems. Although I made an effort to be active it was difficult due to frequent pains I have felt in the lumbar spine region. While injured the amount of fat in my stomach area increased although my upper checks and legs are still solid and very strong. My initial aim are to lose some fat from my stomach and turn it into muscle. As well a;s losing weight on my stomach I am looking to build my arms up. They have been my main weakness for quite a while now and my lack of upper body strength holted my progression in sports.

I had used the gym a few days a week before my injury although I did not ever take it seriously. For the last month I have been trying to put as much effort as possible into my training and I have attemped to adjust my diet to compliment this training. Within the last month my arm size has visibly increased although I have not measured them and am not sure about the difference in size. I have also lost around 20 lbs of fat that I was carrying on my stomach, thighs and bum. I am now looking better and am running alot further and faster on treadmills and skiing machines. I am still aiming to lose some more excess fat before aiming to bulk up in muscle through weight training. I also want to increase my bench.

A typical day's food for me at the moment would be something like:

Breakfast - 1 large bowl of bran flakes with semi-skimmed milk.

Lunch - 4 slices of toast with a small amount of spread and marmite.

Dinner - 2/3 chicken breasts with green beans and mushrooms.

On a typical day I also have a few slices of toast when I feel hungry.

I am looking to cut down on the amount of carbs I am taking in at the moment, especially the white bread. I think that if I can cut that out my diet should be alot better. If you guys have any suggestions cheap food I can eat I would be very grateful. I am pretty poor because I have to finance my own eduction and do not get much aid at all. Therefore I cannot afford luxeries like shakes, bars and creatine.

My typical workout is usually something like this:

Bench Press

2 sets of 5 reps of 180bs
    3 sets of 8 reps of 155 lbs
    3 sets of 10 reps of 135 lbs

Squats

3 sets of 5 reps of 245 lbs
    3 sets of 5 reps of 265 lbs

Upright Row

2 sets of 8 reps of 135 lbs
    2 sets of 8 reps of 155 lbs

Leg Press

3 sets of 25 reps of 200 lbs

Running (Treadmill)

20 minute run (usually go around 3 miles)

I ALSO DO REPS ON MACHINES AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE CALLED SO I CANNOT LIST THEM.

AIMS - For the next month

Lose the fat on my stomach
    Increase my working bench to over 210 lbs
    Increase my maximum bench to over 250 lbs.

If there is anything you think I should add to help me reach my targets then please I will listen to any advice!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Good luck!!!

Do you like USC?

Go trojans!

Man of Troy
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenronm
    Good luck!!!

Do you like USC?

Go trojans!
    Yeah go to alot of games when my Dad is working in San Bernardino

I agree with St Patty, those are some killer upright rows, great strength.

Man of Troy
    This what I did on 01/20/04

Diet

Breakfast:

Shredded Weats (wheat cereal) with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch:

Two chicken breasts with spaghetti hoops

Snack:

An Orange

Dinner:

Mushroom coup with two pieces of brown bread

Workout

Six mile run on treadmill (took roughly forty minutes)

Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps of 175 lbs
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps of 200 lbs
    Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps of 225 lbs
    Bench Press: 2 sets of 2 reps of 250 lbs

I did alot more on the bench today. Yesterday my shoulder was hurting where I had slept on it funny so I didn't do too much work. Today it felt better so I really pushed myself to the limit and it felt good. Before I came on here I was NOT really pushing myself to be honest. Doing 180 lbs is not going to make me much stronger, I decided that even if I struggle I am willing to put in the work and go through the pain to increase my arm strength.

Back Squats: 1 set of 10 reps of 175 lbs (warmup)
    Back Squats: 1 set of 10 reps of 225 lbs
    Back Squats: 1 set of 10 reps of 250 lbs
    Back Squats: 1 set of 8 reps of 275 lbs
    Back Squats: 1 set of 5 reps of 300 lbs

My legs are so superior to my arms in terms of strength. I did my run before the squats so I could not push myself too far.

Aims

I am pretty happy with my squats, but my bench definately needs to improve. I did mainly cardio today so I did not do much on the weight machines. Before Easter I want to be able to get my bench up to around 300 lbs.

I am really struggling with food at the moment to be honest. I am livbing off roughly $1 a day so it is tough. I eat mainly tinned food, bread and cereal. As I write this my arms are feeling really sore from the benchs I am doing. I haven't felt this sore in quite a long time. I wish I was pushing myself like this in the past.

I'll give you another update tomorrow.

Good luck with the journal.

Your upright rowing is impressive, compared to your other lifts.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    What I do is to go to safeway or qfc and buy the value-pak of whatever meat is on sale. They usually have stuff for .99 - under $2 a lb. I then boil or bake the whole thing and eat it throughout the week (freeze if needed.) When I need to eat I just pull the pre-cooked meat out and eat it with rice or in sandwich, or throw some in canned soup.