Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press Contest?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Bench Press Contest?

Hello

I'm new to this board, but I have a question and I thought you guys would be the ones who could best answer it.

My friends and I need to organize and implement some project that will benefit the community. I figured there are tons of guys who workout in college so we decided to organize a Bench Press Contest to benefit Give Kids the World/Make a Wish Foundation. We will be asking about a $10 entrance fee for competitors and getting donations from local businesses to help defray costs. Our problem is in the details. What kind of rules do you use for this contest. So here is where you guys come in. Please answer the following questions:

1. What should the weightclasses be
    2. What kind of exercises should we include in the competition besides Bench Press and should there be weight classes for that exercise? (keep in mind this will be done in the parking lot in front of a gym, so no big heavy machinery like a Smith Machine.)
    3. How do you do a bench press contest? Does one person bench and then others try to beat it? Or does everyone make a prediction as to what they can bench first?
    4. How can we have this contest with zero injuries...what kind of warmup should be mandatory. Should we force contestants to do a certain number of warmup sets?

I might think of more questions later, but thats all for now. All your help is greatly appreciated. We are anticipating a pretty big turnout because all proceeds will be benefitting a worthy cause.

Thanks alot!

A deadlift contest would be cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S
    But a benchpress contest would draw more competitors
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

Quote Originally Posted by jww13
    But a benchpress contest would draw more competitors
    Of course.

Wannabebig Member
    In the contests i have seen in the past, they put everyone in the same class and had each person bench his own body weight. The most reps wins. This way you draw more people b/c everyone feels like they have a shot and you also have less liability b/c people are not trying to do too much weight to win. You also need to make clear rules on technique and what is considered a legal lift. Have the person counting the reps count out loud. If you want two or more weight classes, thats fine, it will still work. This way the strongest guy (pound for pound) wins. NOt just some guy who can bench 400 but weighs 350.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. So do you think I could declare a single overall winner by considering his max bench as a percentage of his bodyweight? As in, guy A benches 120% of his body weight versus someone elses 115% of his body weight, but Guy A's max is significantly less than Guy B. Can I still declare Guy A the winner?

Also, I think the idea about benching your body weight and doing max reps is good, but don't you think a max bench contest will draw more people? I think more people will want to show off and do their best bench versus most reps.

I like the idea about the warmup because if we have some sets leading up to the last bench then we can tell if someone is going to be able to lift the weight without hurting himself.

Here is how I would do it

Three Classes
    Light Weight: > 150
    Mid Class 150 - 200
    Heavy Class 200 +

Have three benches, and three white boards. Then you have a set weight and have a rep contest. Who can do the most reps at a set weight. Then you have a Max lift contest, who can lift the most.

So you would end up with 6 winners

light weight, mid weight and heavy weight Rep champ
    light weight, mid weight and heavy weight Max champ

Also make sure you have three spotters at all times and make sure they are paying attention at all time.

For the bench max contest, you could say each person gets 3 attempts and their best lift is what counts.

Deadlifts would probably be a decent choice, and possibly squats.

The problem with those two is that you have to be careful that people are using good form. Someone could really hurt their back if they don't.

Make sure you also have a judge or two that really knows what he's doing to judge the lifts and make sure they pass, etc.

As for warm-ups, if I were to max out on bench I would take a guess at my max. Let's say it's 300 lbs (it's not). I would then do something like this warm-up:
    45lbs x 6 reps
    150lbs x 6
    200 x 3
    250 x 1
    275 x 1
    (Then go do attempt #1)

Pretty awesome of you to be doing this. Good luck!
    Last edited by KingJustin; 01-21-2004 at 03:56 PM.

I like WARG's idea the most... it would draw more competitors, and be more fun to watch.

If you go by max weight, you can almost guess the winner by looking at his size. If you go by reps x body weight, you can't guess the winner just by looking at them.

Also, imagine signing up for a bench contest and you get there and see some Herculean monsters... if it's a max bench contest, why even compete? You'll just leave.

benching in relation to your weight is really unfair.

A tall person is at a huge disadvantage against a short person.

Wannabebig Member
    There is no way you can take someones body composition into consideration.
    you can only have weight classes. You cant say okay lets have a under six foot, under 200 lb. class, etc. I guess you can, but that is wack. By doing it in relation to weight, you ensure that the strongest person wins (pound for pound) besides, the goal here is to draw as many people as possible in order to make money to benefit the charities. Whatever you do make the rules clear up front and do not deviate from them. That way no one can complain about being cheated. I just think if you do it by max weight, you will deter a lot of people from competing b/c they will not think they can compete against bigger guys. Remember the goal is to get as much participation as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    benching in relation to your weight is really unfair.

A tall person is at a huge disadvantage against a short person.
    totally
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    Why not have a few different contests?

1. Have a max bench press in relation to bodyweight. Breaking it into weight classes is fine as long as the classes are no more than 10#. There's a huge difference between 155# guy and 198# guy.

2. Do a pump and run. Have guys (or girls) bench their bodyweight as many times as they can, then send them out for a 3 mile run. Each rep takes 30 seconds off their running time with a maximum being 25 reps (12.5 minutes off their 3 mile time). This equals out strong guys and fast guys.

3. Have a pushup, situp, or pullup contest. Either total number, or most reps under 1 or 2 minutes.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Do an elyptical machine contest! All of the snotty little rich girls from the colleges would come and elypticize while talking on their cell phones.
    "Color outside the lines"

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    If you're going to have all the little college girls come by, then you should have a jumping jack contest!
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

My suggestion would be to go to a powerlifting or push-pull meet. You'll learn a ton there.

Even if you are planning it to be pretty informal, it will help if you have things set up well so that the competitors have warm-up time and space and don't go away thinking it was a load of crap.

PL comps give you three attempts on a given lift and, generally, your opener is the lowest weight you will attempt. If you fail it, you can repeat it, but you cannot lower it.

Most PL/push-pull meets require a pause at the chest and some have a referee who will say "PRESS!" after seeing a noticeable pause. Other federations just require the lifter to pause and judges will decide if the pause is adequate. Other comps are "touch-and-go" meets that are more lenient and don't require a pause.

Here are the USPF's rules - it should have weight classes as well as other rules for pauses, etc. http://www.uspf.com/rules/rules.htm

edit: btw, I think it's great you are doing something charitable. I hope it makes money. You might consider selling cool t-shirts or supplements or something - it might draw some more $$
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-15-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Thread ressurection TO THE MAXXX!!!!!1

holy old thread batman.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

LOL I didn't notice the date.

Apparently neither did Sensei
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Wannabebig Member

Wannabebig Member
    Cool Idea.

Banned
    way to be 5 years too late, im sure the contest is well past

Wannabebig Member
    Still a cool idea.

who the hell is responsible for resurrecting all these ancient threads? may the gods spit in you
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

at least they're using the search function.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal