Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is worth reading if you want strength

This is worth reading if you want strength

I posted this in response to another thread, but upon further thought, I realized this deserved its own thread as there are probably some reading this site who don't know how to get started, but are interested in getting strong.

The quoted section is right here:

Re: board presses, Jeez - O - Man, how come you guys are not doing these? Get some two by fours, or two by sixes and either nail, screw, glue, or tape them together and get to board pressing. Board presses are very important to building a big bench and strong triceps, plus they have the added benefit of protecting your pecs so you don't tear them.

Do board presses to either a one, two, three, four or 5 board, these are just two by's sandwiched together, nothing fancy or difficult about it.

Switch the boards you are pressing to often, and you will find you can max to a different board every week and get stronger every single time you go into the gym without ever burning out. Try the following:

Max out on the bench. Write that number down. Next week, max again. Hopefully you beat the old number by at least 5 lbs. Write that number down.

Week 3, max out to a 2 board, write that number down. Week 4 max out to the 2 board again. Week 4's number should be at least 5 to 10 lbs bigger than week 3's number.

Week 5, max out to a 3 board, write it down, then max again the next week, again trying to beat the previous week's number by at least 5 to 10 lbs.

Week 7, max out to a 5 board, write down this number, do the same routine the next week, trying to beat week 7's number by 5 to 10 lbs.

THEN . . . .

Max out again on the flat bench, and come back here and report what you have found. My guess is almost everyone on this board will find that when they max out after this 8 week cycle, they will find that they have increased their bench max by anywhere from 10-30 lbs.

How to work up? You ask, here it is. Warm up with 2 or 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps with a light weight, then begin doing triples with ever increasing weight till it gets difficult to complete the triples. Then drop to singles, and keep increasing the weight till you cannot go any heavier, and the last weight you could successfully lift was your max.

I challenge you to do the above and see if your bench press does not come up significantly.

B.

Now note this is not the full workout necessary, as there are accessory movements to be done, working back muscles, shoulders and triceps, which must be done, and you should hit all those areas hard as well, focussing on building up muscles in those supporting areas, but the above is a solid plan, and one that will serve most reading this board very well.

You can change up the exercises any way you like, substituting floor presses for one of the listed board presses, for example, or doing inclines or declines instead of a board press some of the time, which is another good idea. But the basic template I listed above will work.

That routine, and variations of it served me very well for my first 2 years in powerlifting, where I put on about 150 lbs on my contest bench in exactly 2 years.

Hope this helps.

B.

I know I speak for everyone when I say your help is always appreciated. I'm basically doing Westside for bench/triceps (I am not willing to do ME Squats just yet, so I changed the routine up a little for the rest of the stuff), and I maxed out on normal bench the last two weeks. I'll be sure to take your advice and start doing those board presses for the next 6 weeks. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-29-2003 at 04:11 PM.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Basically, the idea is to max often with a very similar yet different exercise (number of boards) as to not overtrain the central nervous system. The main particularity is that the difference is the ROM.

I guess it could be applied easily to box squat and maybe deadlift.

I might try to fit that idea with my style of training (not powerlifting).

Westside
    should i max out on pin presses also??

sure, max on the pin presses too. just don't do it every week. Mix it up. Max often, but change the exercises every couple of weeks or so.

B.

do you need someone to hold the board and someone to spot?
    id like to try them for teh first time in one of my power workouts.

Wannabebig Member
    That board routine sounds awesome, and I bought a huge 2 x6 piece of wood and I'm going to cut 5 pieces tomorrow. I'll use duck tape, cause its much easier to put on and take off. I'm going to start this workout asap-Monday.

Wannabebig Member
    I would just like to share the workout that I'm going to do for the board press' Its the same thing that BenchMonster posted, but I changed it up a little bit since no two people respond the same to the same workout, and we know what we respond to the best more than anyone else would. So here it is:
    Week1:
    Monday: Board 1: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 1: find 1 rep max
    Week2:
    Monday: Board 2: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 2: find 1 rep max
    Week3:
    Monday: Board 3: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board3: find 1 rep max
    Week4:
    Monday: Board 4: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 4: find 1 rep max
    Week5:
    Monday: Board 5: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 5: find 1 rep max
    Week6:
    Monday: Board 4: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 4: find 1 rep max
    Week7:
    Monday: Board 3: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 3: find 1 rep max
    Week8:
    Monday: Board 2: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Board 2: find 1 rep max
    Week9:
    Monday: Board 1: find 1 rep max
    Thursday: Rest for assurance of new max
    Week10:
    Monday: Find new 1 rep max

Thanks for the help man. I have done a little board pressing before with a 3 board but not any of the others. I guess I am headed to the hardware store this weekend. Many thanks for the advice.
    "I ain't got time to bleed"
    -Jesse Ventura

P.i.m.p. Bump

Neollagnailati
    Why is there the assumption that you can increase your bench by 5lbs from week 1 to week 2? I'd love to be able to do that every week. Is it just because you get used to this particular method of maxing?

Sounds interesting. Would work well if you had some two velcro straps to attach the weights together...that'd work nicely.

BM: How do you go about your bench routine after this little 2 month routine, because obviously I would want to continue increasing my strength.

You can continue the same way, constantly changing things up, or you can do many other things. I spent the first year or so of my powerlifting career doing something similar to the above, with a twist. I would max out on a full range lift on week one (either flat bench, incline, or decline) and on the second week would max out with a partial range rep (boards, pin presses, floor presses) and for added variation would add bands or chains, alternating of course in addition to straight weight.

I would let you know that I do not do the above routine now. I train in a bench shirt 3 out of 4 weeks right now, going up to a heavy single most weeks, but not necessarily maxing every week, and I again alternate between going to the chest and going to boards.

The program above tho, took me from a 355 bench up to 500 in about 18 months tho. Also remember to hammer triceps after your bench movement. I alternated between dumbell tricep extensions (lying on the bench) 5 board close grip presses, skullcrushers to the chin, and JM presses. It is important to switch up your accessory movements too.

Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough. If you want a big bench, better get a big back. If you have really strong triceps, pecs and front delts, but no upper back development, then you are never going to bench big weights. Do every different kind and variation of rows you can think of, do chinups, pulldowns, cleans, shrugs, and any other type of back movement you can come up with.

I have rarely seen a big bencher who did not look more impressive from behind than from the front, myself included. Everyone gets excited about the muscles they can see in the mirror, such as biceps, pecs, quads, but in the strength game, these are not the big movers and shakers. For all over body strength and athleticism, you need to be big and strong in your triceps, back, hams and abs. Those are the real muscles that do the work.

B.

what if a person doesnt recover fast, in other words do you think it would be hard to max out 2 times a week. What if i did that on say Monday, Friday,tuesday?

I understand what you are saying, but I will still have some more questions

So currently I do chest/triceps every Monday...and I only do chest once per week. Following this routine, every time that I did chest I would be maxing out? ...Correct? Just want to make things perfectly clear.

OK,

first off, forget about training chest once per week, tris twice per week and whatever. That is bodybuilder thinking and it has no place when gaining strength is the goal.

We train the bench press twice per week. We don't ever specifically train the chest. I don't have a chest and tris day nor do I have a back and bi's day. That kind of thinking leaves you admiring those who are benching 300lbs.

If you want to get to where the big boys play, better start acting as if. By acting as if, I mean if you want to be a 600 or 700 bencher, then you better act as if you are a 600 or 700 bencher. That means, do the things that a 600 or 700 bencher is doing.

I train the bench 2 times per week. One time RAW, the other time with a shirt on. I used to train Westside style which was one day for speed and the other day for maximal effort. Both systems work. As I have stated in the past I went from a 355 bench to a 500 bench in 18 months using the Westside system. It works and there has been a ton of stuff written about it. Go to elitefts.com and read every single article there. I mean every one. Then go to Testosterone.net and read everything Dave Tate ever written. Do all this, then buy the seminar video's and talk to experienced westside lifters over the phone and online and you will have the information I gained in the first 3 or 4 months that I was powerlifting.

If you think the answers are easy to find, or that the work involved in squatting benching and pulling big weights is easy, you will be sorely dissapointed. But if you are a born freak who just cannot stand the thought that somewhere out there someone is stronger than you, and it scares the **** out of you to imagine that anyone anywhere is working harder than you, then this is the sport for you.

I know that as I sit at this computer now, someone out there is training. As I sit at my desk to work, someone else is training. When I eat, when I sleep, when I am spanking the monkey, someone else is training. If you think that way too, and are willing to give up everything that it takes to reach your goals, then go to those sites I mentioned, find out what the great ones are doing, and . . . most importantly, go do it!!!

B.

Neollagnailati
    Bench, do you think that a shirt is necessary to effectively do the board presses? Also, what kind of shirt should I get if I max in the low-mid 300's raw, without pause?

You don't need to train in a shirt unless you intend to compete in one. Board presses are a great strength builder regardless of whether you compete.

Re: the shirt to get. If you want to compete in the APF, or IPA then by all means get either a canvas or denim shirt. Get one that is open back, and double layered. I prefer the shirts from Karin's Extreme Powerwear, but if you can get an Inzer shirt that fits well, they are great too.

A double denim shirt will run you about 150 bucks.

B.

I want to be a bodybuilder MetallicA's Avatar
    Sorry about my newbie ness but what is a board press? is that where you lie on the floor and just bench with a board behind you?
    Life's A Bitch, Then You Die, Screw The World And Lets All Get High

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicA
    Sorry about my newbie ness but what is a board press? is that where you lie on the floor and just bench with a board behind you?
    It's a Bench Press ON A BENCH with some wooden boards across your chest.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Neollagnailati
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmonster
    You don't need to train in a shirt unless you intend to compete in one. Board presses are a great strength builder regardless of whether you compete.

Re: the shirt to get. If you want to compete in the APF, or IPA then by all means get either a canvas or denim shirt. Get one that is open back, and double layered. I prefer the shirts from Karin's Extreme Powerwear, but if you can get an Inzer shirt that fits well, they are great too.

A double denim shirt will run you about 150 bucks.

B.

Thanks, I hope to start competing some time next year. Maybe by then I'll have my other two lifts to decent levels.

Wannabebig Member
    OK, so can you give me an example of a routine I can follow for training my bench press twice per week which includes using this board press routine. Please include assistance exercises for triceps as well. I am not sure how to integrate this with the rest of my training.

This is what I currently do:

Day 1 back - deads 5x5
    lat pulls 5x5
    seated row 5x5
    bb shrugs 5x5

Day 2 chest - bp 3x5
    incline bp 3x5
    pec deck 3x5

Day 3 biceps - straight bar curls 3x5
    incline curls 3x5
    preacher curl 2x5

Day 4 triceps/shoulder - close-grip bp 3x5
    OH DB press 3x5
    french press 3x5
    db lat raise 3x10 (shoulders)
    reverse pec deck 3x10 (shoulders)

Day 5 legs - squats 3x8
    quad ext. 3x8
    leg curl 3x8

Thanks

I've never done or seen board presses- How are they done and does anyone have a picture? If it is just putting the board on your chest.. whats the point of that? (sorry I'm new to these presses)
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

You use the board to work on your weak part of you lift. where ever you tend to get stuck you do as many board as you need to work that area

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    If you want to get to where the big boys play, better start acting as if.
    Act as if you had a 9 inch cock! I love this statement because it epitomizes life.

ACT AS IF.

Act is if your **** doesn't stink. Act as if what you're doing in this gym is the only way to do it.

Much respect to benchmonster for the help he tries to provide. I want to give my experience when new to this type of benching and what it produced for me.

I started Westside a little over a year ago. In my first month my bench went from 205 to 245. It's not just a training style, it's a state of mind. Act as if you're the baddest son of a bitch in the gym. Act as if you know you're going to set 10lb PR's EVERY WEEK.

And ****ing do it.