Thread: Phil Harrington-shirts

Wannabebig Member

Phil Harrington-shirts

I met you at a meet in South Carolina in 2002. I heard you say you prefer poly because it is more forgiving. You were using Inzer. I know you switched to a Fury. Are you still with Titan, or do you now use denim since you compete in federations that allow it? Also, do you do speed work or band work for bench? In general, how do you train bench? Thanks for any info.

Phil has been in Florida recently training some folks. I should hear from him soon and will ask him to address your question.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks.

Ok, spoke to Phil on the phone today.

First, he uses a Kairen (sp?) double denim shirt. He no longer uses a poly but feels they are good if that is what your federation allows.

For training, he uses the metal militia program with an emphasis on board presses. He also does a lot of speed work, but not so much with the bar, he uses items like heavy balls and also performs various types of plyometrics.

Phil really feels that beginners should not use the Westside program or similar programs. He feel that new trainees should stick with basic programs utilizing higher reps in order to build a strong base and strength endurance.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    Ok, spoke to Phil on the phone today.

First, he uses a Kairen (sp?) double denim shirt. He no longer uses a poly but feels they are good if that is what your federation allows.

For training, he uses the metal militia program with an emphasis on board presses. He also does a lot of speed work, but not so much with the bar, he uses items like heavy balls and also performs various types of plyometrics.

Phil really feels that beginners should not use the Westside program or similar programs. He feel that new trainees should stick with basic programs utilizing higher reps in order to build a strong base and strength endurance.
    Thanks. Even though I'm not remotely close to Phil's levels, I agree about the need for a strength base before moving on to more advanced programs. Even Westside says this.