The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Strongest at what age?

At what age, on average, do men reach their full strength potential? Minus all the variables of training.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd say early-mid twenties.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Sweet jeebus, that was a swift reply.

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Most men have more potential than we would ever imagine. If only we could use it right.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

depend on how hard you train throughout all those periods in your life.. i'd guesstimate late twenties
    Last edited by dblockspky; 01-26-2004 at 07:26 PM.

early teens

RuLess
    no
    22-27 is the peak for many men
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Wannabebig Member
    That's the ticket. Thanks.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    ive actually heard that if men keep training seriously that most men dont reach full strength until there late 30's even early 40's
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75
    ive actually heard that if men keep training seriously that most men dont reach full strength until there late 30's even early 40's
    same here.

look at the age of top powerlifters and strong men. on average they are in there 30's i think.
    you get some freaks who like excel at a young age.
    though probably the average person may peak early than the althelte athlete as they get A) injured B) lack dedication.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Men will reach their peak strength potential in their early to mid thirties. That is absolutely correct and true.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

it was a joke jtyrel.. chill homie

i think the reason all the best pros are at that age is because it has taken them that long (after they got into it) to build all the muscle
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

ditto mid to late 30's
    look at the top track athletes...
    sports like basketball, baseball, hockey and football might peak a little sooner because of the banging they place on a body...not because the muscles have reached their potential....
    Last edited by geoffgarcia; 01-27-2004 at 01:44 PM.

Endurance wize its definatly mid 30s+

Strenghth wise im guessing 21-27ish but not sure
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Well, just take a look at who is setting the world records in the powerlifts, and then tell me what age men are at their strongest.

George Halbert did 733 bench at 215 bodyweight. All time world record, and was age 35.

Steve Goggins set the all time world record squat at just over 1100 lbs at about 255 bodyweight and was aged 39.

Scott Mendelson benched over 800, and closed in on 900 at 320 lbs bodyweight and was 35 years old.

Garry Frank, all time record holder in the total, and at one time in the deadlift, was 38 when he did his highest total ( I beleive).

With the exception of Marius Pudjenowski (sp?) the recent WSM winners have been in their mid 30's.

There are some exceptions, of course, as their is to every rule, but with a few exceptions it would seem that most men who train seriously are at their peak strength in their 30's.

And those who said early 20's, I am guessing that you posters are very young. I am 29 right now, and I am so much stronger than I was at age 21 or 22, it is not even funny. And I will be stronger in 5 years than I am now. And probably stronger 5 years after that too.

Herman Goerner did some of his greatest feats of strength in his early 40's. If you stay healthy, and keep at it, you can keep getting stronger for many many years. But if you abuse your body, or are in a sport where it must take abuse (football) then you will peak at an earlier age.

I think that there is a race going on between strength gains and injury. If you gain strength but get injured, then obviously the strength gains slow or stop till the injury resolves. If you get hurt too badly, or too often, then you are reducing the total amount of gains you can ever expect to get, or will reduce the age at which you will peak. (reducing the height of the peak at the same time)

So, that was a long way around the barn to get to say that men are, absent injury, generally strongest mid 30's or thereabouts.

B.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom o
    At what age, on average, do men reach their full strength potential? Minus all the variables of training.
    30 something, can maintain most of it till early 50 w/ regular training and good lifestyle. what teens or 20 is total crap.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    As the resident English teacher here I am going to weigh in with my answer. The OP qualified his question by saying "minus all the variables of training " Why are most people talking about people who train? That was NOT the question. BTW the answer is 18-25. After age 25 the average human male will generally lose (on average) about .5 of muscle mass a year.

Of course weight training can halt and even reverse this trend to a very great extent, but to what extent depends on type of training, genetic factors, natural or not, and many other variables.

How the hell do you suggest reaching your full strength potential without training? Go back to school and take a class on common sense.

Wannabebig Member
    -sin- , you seem to assume that there is no such thing as untrained strength potential. From ExtremeAnabolic's post, it should have been obvious that this is not so.

If you want to see your untrained strength potential go live in a zero gravity environment for a few years. Because if you want to get technical, even something as easy as standing or walking is "training" your muscles to carry the load of your body.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by -sin-
    How the hell do you suggest reaching your full strength potential without training? Go back to school and take a class on common sense.
    I was replying to the OP's post. I suggest that you go back to school and take a class of common courtesy.

As for the OP, why did you state in your post "minus all the variables of training". As the only way to subtract all the variables of training would be not to train at all, it sounded like you were asking about untrained strength potential. This is not a flame, but the way your original post was worded that is what it looked like you were asking.

Wannabebig Member
    ExtremeAnabolic, I appreciate your response. Although I didn't intend to ask the question that you answered initially, I did plan it as a follow-up. As to why I wrote "minus all the variables of training," I'll quote myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom o
    I didn't make it clear what I meant, but I saw no need to change my question, as I was getting the answers I sought.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Actually, I agree with sin. This is a powerlifting forum, who cares about untrained individuals? I mean, sure, maybe you do, but why?