Thread: how often for shoulder strengthening exercises?

Wannabebig Member

how often for shoulder strengthening exercises?

hey guys. i've noticed people have some good tips here for guys with shoulder pain. i've had pain in my right shoulder that's only been getting worse.

someone recommended cuban rotations and side lying dumbell external rotations for adding some strength around the shoulder joint. i've looked these up, and these exercises seem pretty good.

my question is this: how often should i do them? and should i do them right before i do my regular shoulder workout (which of course is once a week)?

help here would be much appreciated since the pain is approaching the point of "am i going to friggin' injure myself soon if i keep benching reps of 225?" i may as well also note that it's after bench and when i do dips that i feel the most shoulder pain. thanks!!
    ArieBenPesach

What a coincidence, I also do Cuban Rotations(with an EZ-Bar) and Lying Dumbell External Rotations. I started doing them because I kept getting pains in my shoulder and well it scared me. I no longer have shoulder pains now so I guess it worked?

I do them on my shoulder day, which is every 9-10 days or so, I do them after my shoulder workout, so my shoulder day usually looks exactly like this, and in this exact order.
    1 Warmup Barbell Military
    2 Worksets Barbell Military
    2 Worksets Lateral Raises
    2 Worksets Seated Rear Lateral Raises
    2 Worksets Cuban Rotations
    2 Worksets External Rotations

I think they worked for me, no more pains. Goodluck.

Edit***
    I have seen people recommend doing these 3 times a week, so this might be better. Regardless, the above worked for me. One thing to note is that I take all worksets, including the Cuban Rotations, to failure or very close to it.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 01-30-2004 at 12:16 AM.

I would do them very light, 2-3 times a week at the beginning of your workout.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    thanks gents. i'll start giving it a try. funny though. one of you said once a week at the end of my workout, and the other said 2-3 times a week before my workout.

both probably work, but i think i'll try once a week, going to failure on 2 cuban rotations and 2 lying external rotations, light weight of course.

taking anything to failure seems the best way to really add strength. and giving it a week to rest also seems like the normal way to lift... then again, what do i know about this?
    ArieBenPesach

umm, if it's your rotator cuffs, you should not go to failure, you'll injure them worse.

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    This advice comes from somebody with two shoulder surgeries from injuries. They were unrelated to lifting, but I've been throught the rehab, so I know what worked.

If it's your rotator cuffs, you shouldn't be lifting heavy. Those extensions while lying on your side? 5#... definitely no more than 10#. Try starting with 3#. Do not cheat on these exercises. Use only your shoulder rotation to lift the weight. Do not swing it.

If you do these at the beginning of your workout, you will probably be lifting less weight in your working sets of mass exercises. If you do them after your working sets, the rotators will be much more fatigued.

My typical shoulder workout:

Military Presses: after warmups, I'm usually doing 175# for 6-8 reps (3 sets)
    Dumbbell Presses: 3 sets of around 85# dumbbells. Sets of 6-8
    Lat Raise: 3 sets of 10. 25#
    Reverse Flyes: 3 sets of 10 @ 20#

Then I do rotator cuff exercises:
    Laying Side Raise (no real name for it)
    Internal Rotation
    External Rotation

It's very important to do both internal and external rotation, so the rotator cuff strengthens equally. The Side Raise in the laying position strengthens the abductor muscles in the rotator cuff.

Remember, the rotator cuff holds the ball of your humerus (upper arm bone) into your shoulder socket. If this gets weak, you can dislocate your shoulder, lose strength, or cause yourself significant pain.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Wannabebig Member
    thanks again for the tips.

baldguy, what do you mean by "internal and external rotation"?

i understand cuban rotations and lying on your side raises, but how do i do internal and external rotations? thanks.
    ArieBenPesach

Quote Originally Posted by ariebenpesach
    thanks again for the tips.

baldguy, what do you mean by "internal and external rotation"?

i understand cuban rotations and lying on your side raises, but how do i do internal and external rotations? thanks.
    This may be a little hard to explain without pictures, but you can either do this with a weight while laying on your side or using an elastic band and standing up. The elastic band may be easier to explain, so here goes:

Attach one end of the elastic band to something sturdy, and stand so that anchor point is to your immediate left (9 o'clock position). Grab the handle of the band with your right hand. It should be over your stomach across your body. Pull the band out towards your right as far as it will go. Mine stops about 2 o'clock. This is external, as it is going to the outside.

For the internal rotation, turn around 180 degrees so the anchor is now at 3 o'clock. Grab the handle and then pull it across your body. It will end up where the external started.

The thing most people do incorrectly is move their elbow. If you have problems with this, roll up a small towel (gym towel or hand towel) and hold it against your side with your elbow. This will keep your upper arm about perpendicular to the floor and keep your elbow from moving out.

If you want to do this with weights, you would lay on your right side with a small db in your right hand. Rotate it upwards as far as it can go and then back down.

Roll over onto your left, keeping the db in your right hand. Now lift it up as far as it can go.

These are not to be done with heavy weights. Range of motion is much more important, as that is what strengthens the muscle. If you put too much weight on, you won't be able to finish the comlete ROM.

Hope this helps.
    -Baldguy

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Great advice BG,

The only thing i would add is that the rotators are not something you want to 'build up', strengthen yes, but strengthen only. I say this becuase hypertrophy of this area can create more problems in terms of impingement.

Oh and always perform these exercises at the END of a workout, if you do them at the start you could be opening the door for serious injury
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wannabebig Member
    gotcha. i think it's all clear now. i greatly appreciate all the advice on the subject since this has become an important issue for me.

i'll start applying it today. thanks again.
    ArieBenPesach

Not to preach, but this should be an important issue for all of us lifters. How many times do you see guys in their 30's and 40's with great physiques, but bum shoulders? I know they may look good, but if you can't throw a ball, or it hurts to lift each time, what good is it?
    -Baldguy

-BigCorey

baldguy, too true. I may be wrong, but I believe shoulders are the number one thing that deteriorates for lifters. Basically, overhead presses such as military press are so bad for your rotator cuffs, you're bound to injure them.