The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Weird workout

Wannabebig Member

Weird workout

Hello all,

First off, I'd like to say the plans for the Bench Press Contest to benefit charity I mentioned in another thread is going great. Thanks for all the input!

Anyway, I have sort of a weird workout. Everytime I talk to other guys about my routine they look at me like I'm doing something wrong. After the third or fourth person looked at me like I fell out of a dog's ass, I began to worry. So I'll post what I do here and you guys tell me if I am doing something horribly wrong or something. Or if you guys can think of something better.

Ok, I do two exercises for each muscle, except for hamstring...I only do one exercise for that muscle...I just realized that now, I don't know why.

For benchpress I do five sets. I do 5 reps the first set, 4 the next, 3, 2, and then I finish at 2. I got this from Pavel Tsatsouline online and it seems to be working pretty well for me. I'm 150 lbs and I'm benching 200 lbs at the end of this workout, which I think is pretty damn good. And the weight has been going up pretty steadily.

I follow the same set up (5 sets, 5r, 4r, 3r, etc) for all my leg exercises except for calves.

My split is pretty weird too:

Day 1: Chest/Legs/Abs
    Day 2: Triceps/Biceps/Forearms/Back/Shoulders
    Day 3: Chest/Legs/Abs again

So I do Chest/Legs/Abs twice a week. I've been getting great gains this way, but even I have to admit it looks weird.

I just don't know...I'm experiencing great gains for my Chest and Legs and Abs as far as what I'm lifting, but all my other muscles have been pretty much stagnant. I've been doing the same weight for a while for Day 2 and not felt strong enough to go up in weight.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not being rude, but do you have a question?
    Winners train. Losers complain.

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, in the post above I wrote, "After the third or fourth person looked at me like I fell out of a dog's ass, I began to worry. So I'll post what I do here and you guys tell me if I am doing something horribly wrong or something. Or if you guys can think of something better."

Basically I'm looking for criticism and suggestions.

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    How long you been working out? If you're new, you'll make gains doing pretty much anything.

How many days per week do you workout? It seems like kind of a weird split, but I've heard of stranger things.

Anyway, if you don't want to change your split, then you need to work bigger muscles first. For Day 2, you should be doing back first, then shoulders, triceps (2/3 of your arm), biceps, then forearms. Your back exercises use your biceps, forearms, and to lesser extents, your triceps and shoulders. So, if you start out doing Tris and Bis, they will not be strong enough to pull the bar in BB rows of pulldowns or pullups. Your forearms will also be shot for deadlifts. This is why you are experiencing mad gains on your chest. It is worked out with fresh arms.

If you only want to do two different days, I would suggest doing:

Day 1: Upper Body
    Day 2: Lower Body

----- or ------

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
    Day 2: Back/Legs/Biceps/Forearms

This depends on your priorities. My lower body grows much faster than my upper. If the opposite is true for you, then do legs before back.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Wannabebig Member
    If it works for you, that's all that matters.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

Quote Originally Posted by 8LimbsScientist
    After the third or fourth person looked at me like I fell out of a dog's ass
    ROFL fell outta a dogs ass. Thats sweet. jotting that one down in my little book. :o
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Wannabebig Member
    I've been working out for about 2 years, but I've basically completely changed my work out several months ago to what it is now.

I can do three days a week, but I just like doing legs and chest twice a week. Thanks for all the suggestions.

What do you guys think of doing two exercises for each muscle...is that too little?

Also, I do squat and leg extension (machine) for quads...is that good or should I switch it for squat and deadlift, or squat and leg press?

Deadlifts aren't a quad exercise. Stiff leg dl work the hamstrings.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm
    Deadlifts aren't a quad exercise. Stiff leg dl work the hamstrings.
    Oh! I feel stupid now

I thought since you are squatting down, picking up the weight and then standing up that it would work your quads.

Milk, Milk, Milk JeffWillConquer's Avatar
    Step 1) Do what works until it stops working.
    Step 2) Change.
    Growing
    Height: 5'11

Oh! I feel stupid now

I thought since you are squatting down, picking up the weight and then standing up that it would work your quads.
    Well, it involves biceps too, but it ani't a bicep exercise either. Bench presses involve the triceps, but it isn't a tricep exercise (excluding narrow grip.) You're getting the picture.

Wannabebig Member
    So, forget about deadlift then. What do you think of leg extenstion versus leg press?

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    I can do three days a week, but I just like doing legs and chest twice a week. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Which may also explain why you've seen big gains in chest and legs but not the others. If you do some lopsided routine like this, you should be doing chest 2x and back 1x per week on week 1, then chest 1x and back 2x per week on week two. Alternate!

What do you guys think of doing two exercises for each muscle...is that too little?
    That's enough. WBB#1 uses two sets, but they need to be intense.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey