Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Of Becca Swanson's World Record 465 Benchpress!

Video Of Becca Swanson's World Record 465 Benchpress!

At the 2004 APF Iowa State Championships, Becca "The Iron Maiden" Swanson benched a world record 465 pounds!

Here is a link to the video of Becca Swanson's 465 pound benchpress (courtesy of Bill Carpenter).

http://www.powermagonline.com/videos/index.htm

jesus she's big. very impressive. I feel so weak now.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

bone crusher

How much does she weigh?

..and I wish I could do that.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

looks like she could've done more. had good control of that 465.
    STATS:
    • 5'9"
    • ~185

The Big 3 (2 sets):
    Flat BB Bench 270
    Deadlift 355 (no belt/straps)
    Squat

Wow.. she probably has more testosterone than a high school football team.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    Impressive but digusting. That wasn't a woman; it was a man with a ponytail.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact she could barely touch her chest with the weight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    :withstupi :withstupi

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Yeah, it looked like she was fighting the shirt to get it down.

Still, thats one strong woman.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-31-2004 at 06:27 PM.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    nooooooooo a woman that is stronger them me! Impossible!
    w00t

3:16
    I read she squated 700 pounds.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I'm sorry, but I can't get over the fact she could barely touch her chest with the weight.
    A friend of mine whom powerlifts got a new bench shirt not too long ago.

He was doing about 340 previously with his old shirt. He threw 365 on the bar with his new shirt, and could not get it to touch his chest whatsoever. It took 405 just to get the bar down to his chest. I know there have been plenty arguments about powerlifting equiptment, so I won't say anything, but dizamn.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason

Are you suprised? Even the guys benching 700 and 800+ when they have their shirts right it is tough to touch those heavy weights.

She is an absolute beast. Strong as anything. I'm not sure what she weighed there but I know she either usually competes @198 or as high as 230.

I just hope that women who see that don't think that if you start powerlifting you will turn into that. She is by no means "drug free" or your average woman to start.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Wow I would have never guessed that was a woman if you guys didn't tell me and the pony tail....
    BEAST!
    w00t

Check this out: "she" has 27" legs and 17.5" arms!

http://www.ironasylumgym.com/womenbec

I don't know whether to be amazed or appalled.

Ok I've decided on appalled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers
    Are you suprised? Even the guys benching 700 and 800+ when they have their shirts right it is tough to touch those heavy weights.

She is an absolute beast. Strong as anything. I'm not sure what she weighed there but I know she either usually competes @198 or as high as 230.

I just hope that women who see that don't think that if you start powerlifting you will turn into that. She is by no means "drug free" or your average woman to start.

No, that was just the most graphic example I have ever seen. I swear it looked like she literally had to pull the weight down the last couple of inches. It is just goofy.

I know she is doing it the same way others do, I have no problem with it from a competitive standpoint, it just seems stupid to me.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

bone crusher
    i guess i'm one of those people who will never understand the bench shirt or the squat suit

The Doc,

Have you ever had rotator cuff surgery on your shoulder?

Have you ever torn a pec muscle?

Are you benching in the 400s+?

Are you squatting in the 600s+?

I've seen many lifters' careers get ended by blown out ACLs, torn rotator cuffs, ripped pec muscles, ect.

Start talking to people who lifted heavy for 10+ years and they'll often complain of sore shoulders, knees and elbows and of being stiff and broken down feeling. Powerlifting gear allows a lifter to lift heavy into their masters years (40's, 50's, 60's and beyond).

I knew an NPC national level bodybuilder who benched 505 for triples and who didn't use a bench shirt. We talked about him getting one, but he wasn't that interested. Then, he ripped his chest muscle and he hasn't competed since and he's really hesitant to bench heavy again. This could have been avoided by using a bench shirt on his super heavy sets.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 02-06-2004 at 12:39 PM.

I'm with you Sean, it just still bugs me a bit. I just have a hard time with it. The whole injury prevention part is overrated in my opinion.

That said, as I stated above, I understand its use and she is obviously a moose with or without equipment.

I also think you misunderstand Doc, I think he is just like me in that he would rather see things RAW but realizes people must use equipment in the current sport of powerlifting.

I see the injury prevention as being overrated as well. If you're getting injured, your body was not made to move the weight (assuming it was not technique related).
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Shirt or not, she's a very big and strong woman.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

bone crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanzilla
    The Doc,

Have you ever had rotator cuff surgery on your shoulder?
    **no
    Have you ever torn a pec muscle?
    **no
    Are you benching in the 400s+?
    **no
    Are you squatting in the 600s+?
    **no
    I've seen many lifters' careers get ended by blown out ACLs, torn rotator cuffs, ripped pec muscles, ect.
    **me too.

Start talking to people who lifted heavy for 10+ years and they'll often complain of sore shoulders, knees and elbows and of being stiff and broken down feeling. Powerlifting gear allows a lifter to lift heavy into their masters years (40's, 50's, 60's and beyond).

I knew an NPC national level bodybuilder who benched 505 for triples and who didn't use a bench shirt. We talked about him getting one, but he wasn't that interested. Then, he ripped his chest muscle and he hasn't competed since and he's really hesitant to bench heavy again. This could have been avoided by using a bench shirt on his super heavy sets.

[/url]

sean, chris is right in that i think you misunderstand me. i think the sport would be much better served by returning to raw lifting, but I understand that in the current situation that this would not only be impossible but also go against the drive to constantly achieve new records
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 02-06-2004 at 12:44 PM.

A return to unequipped lifting (I don't like the word RAW, sounds like professional wrestling) would mean a return to lifters having to retire in their 30s (shoulder, knee, wrist and chest injuries).
    There are still federations that offer unequipped divisions, so you've got that option if you'd like to compete that way.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 02-06-2004 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Advertisement