The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

The Chicken Mr'ga

close grip bench (how close of a grip?)

just wondering, how far apart are your hands when you CGBP?
    i tried it the other day with my hands right next to each other, with a lighter weight, and i got a wikked burn out of it

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by iLUDEd
    just wondering, how far apart are your hands when you CGBP?
    i tried it the other day with my hands right next to each other, with a lighter weight, and i got a wikked burn out of it
    My pinkie is right at the knurled part of the bar
    .........xxxx..xxxxhand....handxxxx..xxxx.........

I don't usually go incredibly close. I'll usually put my hands stretched straight out in front of me and grab the bar. I'll use that grip. It hits the triceps very hard and there's not any elbow flare.

I tend to have my hands an inch or two apart, I think it feels much better than having them any wider.

I think I go pretty damn wide. My first finger and thumb are on the edge of the knurled part of the bar. So when I bring the bar down to my chest my thumbs almost touch the sides of my chest.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I have a little bit of a gap, they jsut feel way too uncomfortable when I have them really close. Then again, I haven't done them in a while.
    "Color outside the lines"

a good closed grip u should be able to get your thumbs fingertip to fingertip while gripping the bar... only to get the right grip.. then you grip the bar normally or whatever your style of benching grip is

Its seems to be mostly personal preference.
    I go with my pointer finger just touching the smooth part of the bar
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

heading to 195
    i do it so my elbows are touching my sides, if i go in any further it just hurts my wrists.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam MacKinnon
    Its seems to be mostly personal preference.
    I go with my pointer finger just touching the smooth part of the bar
    Your 3 lift total is incorrect in your sig. Should be 1209.

watch out when you do these for your wrists and elbows. If it is uncomfortable but not at the point of pain find a way that is more comfortable. Also with these i find it is better to add more weight but don't go down as far.

Wannabebig Member
    I normally have my pinkies just inside the rough part of the bar. If you get them to close it makes your wrists hurt.

Wasn't there just a thread on this??!?

I used to put my hand on the edge of the smooth, then I switched to 1 finger on smooth, and now I put 2 fingers on the smooth. I lost poundages everytime I made my grip closer, but I get a better workout IMO. It seems the closer you go, the harder it is, you just have to watch your wrists and make that progression slowly if it does bother your wrists to go close.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 02-02-2004 at 12:08 AM.

Bespoke Super Mod
    Two fingers on the smooth part of the bar
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FAngel
    Two fingers on the smooth part of the bar
    :withstupi

I keep my arms right about should width so my elbows stay tucked when I come down.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

i force wide grip. is this bad? i feel more comfortable when my hands are closer in but i heard widegrip gets the chest better?
    Never Giving In.

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    I think it is mostly a matter of feel. Many people say your outstretched thumbs should touch. Others say the closeness doesn't matter as much as the arm movement. Either way, you would want your elbows to be tucked in as close to your sides as you can. That helps focus on the tris while taking shoulders and pecs out of it.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

Wannabebig Member
    Palms over elbows. None of this 6 inches ****