The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Discussion about Weight Progression...

Hey.

So how often do you and how much do you increase every time?

I have misunderstood progression I believe. Adding reps is also progression. I will need to try to add reps aswell as weoght.

like on my bench press, I try to add 5.5 pounds every other week so it's like 2 workouts with the same weight than on the 3rd workout I increase, but often my reps falls down to 4 or 5 when I want to keep it at 6 reps. So I will switch to 3 weeks witrh same weight and add on the 4th.

discuss on
    peace

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    \Pro*gres"sion\, n. [L. progressio: cf. F. progression.] 1. The act of moving forward; a proceeding in a course; motion onward.

Progression can be either reps or weight. Say I'm benching 225 for 6 reps and my rep range is 5-8. As soon as I can do more than 8 reps, I bump the weight up (usually 5-10%), which will bring my reps back down to 5 or 6. Once I can do more than 8, I up the weight again.

If you're doing 2 or 3 sets, you may only squeak out an additional rep on one set. That's still progression. If you can only add one rep to one set each week, it may take 6-8 weeks before you can add weight (this is not usually the case, but I'm using it as an illustration).

As long as you add weight or reps, you're progressing.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

I think the goal is usually going to be to increase weight while doing the same amount of reps.

How you get there can differ from individuals, and I haven't read much on "the best way" to go about it. I guess the obvious 2 options are to increase reps on the weight you are using or increase weight and start with lower reps, and work up (I guess if you want to get technical about it you could decrease weight and add reps).

I have found that for me the second approach works best. If I'm doing 6 reps on, say, 90 lbs for something like reverse curls on one day ... then if I go to 8 reps the next time, then increase to 95 the time after that, I usually can still only do about 5 reps. If I just increase to 95 and only manage 4 reps, then by the next time I'm usually able to do 6. A very slight difference, but a difference that I care about, nonetheless.

Banned
    In my opinion, you should progress in both weight and reps.

The way I work out, I have a range of reps for each exercise, and once I can exceed the upper limit of that range in reps, it's time to increase the poundage.

For instance,

Say my target weight for Leg Press is 810lbs, with a rep range of 6-8 reps.
    One week, I manage to get 6 reps. Fine, keep it the same.
    The next week I manage to get 8 reps. Fine, keep it the same.
    The next week I manage to get 10 reps. Time to increase the weight. I'll bump up the weight lifted by 5-10% or so. For leg press I'd probably just add a pair of 25s, bumping it to 860.
    The first week at 860 I might only get 5 reps but I'll be doing the same thing, pushing towards 8+ reps again so I can increase the weight.

Sometimes, I find I'll get stuck at a particular weight/reps and can't get past, say, 6 reps for a particular weight. if this persists for a couple of weeks, sometimes a good answer is to simply increase the weight anyway and see what happens. If I can get 6 reps on a higher weight, I know I was just stuck at that previous weight.

The other tricky bit with progression is that it will slow and/or stop at some points. I mean, if you could add 5lbs/week to your bench every week, you'd be a world class bencher in the space of a year or less. That just isn't going to happen. The trick is to focus on a combination of reps and weight increases over the medium term, and tracking your lifts over time so you can see where you've been.

I try to hit 3 x 8 reps. When I can do that, I increase the weight. I do that until I'm back up to 3 x 8. I have found that I can progress every other week.
    Winners train. Losers complain.

I generally do the 5x5 program, and increase my weights by 5 pounds per week, minimum. This w/o is a killer for me.....
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."